External HD over USB?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rredjou123

Original poster
May 27, 2008
I just had Dish installed and have a 722 receiver. I am quite interested in the ability to export recorded content to a external hard drive but all the sales people and CSR people are (truly) clueless.

I am sure this has been tested and explained in detail elsewhere hare, can some kind person post a link to where this information is?

Thanks

Hmm, it looks like a http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html would be more in line with what I am eventually looking to end up with.
I could then hang a big hard drive on a Ethernet port and save all the recorded content to this (central) drive. Since I have two of my computers hooked to (different room) HighDef TV's through HDMI cables all this content would be instantly available pretty much where ever I want to watch it. It will add $250 or so to the final cost but it will free me up from HAVING to use the 722 to watch everything and only on certain televisions.
After looking at all the costs for computer equipment, televisions and SAT gear I think this is a final solution to all the DRM and other forced limitations everyone is trying to force down the throat of their paying customer.

Last edited:
It would work as long as you don't mind the added step of real time playback/recording.

Drm

After looking at all the costs for computer equipment, televisions and SAT gear I think this is a final solution to all the DRM and other forced limitations everyone is trying to force down the throat of their paying customer.

The only way we will ever get rid of DRM is when "we the people" actually complain to our Congressional Representatives and Senators. The audio and video recording industries have Congress in their back pocket and DRM will persist until "we the people" let Congress we are tired of it!!!

It's just a matter of time till some (one) company bucks "the system" and actually makes it convenient for users to store recorded content in a format and location where they can move it around at will. Then the law suits will take 2-5 years. I figure about 2015 the last dregs of DRM will be laid to rest and everyone will declare that their side "won".

Tivo has their TivoToGo which is close but it still has too many restrictions for me to bother with. That is one of the reasons I decided to swing with Dish and their 722 receiver. One extra step to encode content onto a computer hard drive and it's done.

With the Anime I watch I often have to re-encode something 2-3 times to get it into the exact format I want. I guess this will be pretty much the same thing.

Companies don't "buck" the system, at least anymore, because they will be sued and they risk being prevented by a court to put their product on the market or losing, even it is years down the road, the case. Either situation means all the R&D and marketing money and production will go down the drain. That is why companies actually solicit the content providers and work with them so that lawsuits are avoided and the company is assured to bring the product to market without legal complications. Life is different these days.