External HD question

janzy

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
I have an external hard drive on my DVR with a lot of programming on it.
I will be moving next month and the area I'm moving to has Fios, so I'm thinking of giving up Dish and going with Fios.
Is there any way for me to retrieve or copy the programming off the HD if I do give up Dish?
Thanks

The long answer is, "Yes, in real time by playing back each program before you cancel and capturing the analog output."

Consider the Fios DVR that will be available in your area. Will it be sufficient for you? Different areas have different DVRs, of varying abilities. The latest and greatest isn't bad, but it's not a ViP.

You could keep the most minimum Dish subscription that will keep your access to your external HDD Dish content. Be aware that once you cancel your account, the key to the external HDD feature is also canceled, so should you decide to get Dish again in the future and be given a new account, all the content on the external HDD can not be accessed because you are generated a new key and the boxes MUST reformat the external HDD's because the keys no longer match, and all content is lost.

I too have a ton of Dish content on more than a few HDD's and I have already decided that should I ever get another service, I will keep the most meager Dish subscription to maintain my access to the content until I finish watching them.

Consider the Fios DVR that will be available in your area. Will it be sufficient for you? Different areas have different DVRs, of varying abilities. The latest and greatest isn't bad, but it's not a ViP.
of course keeping in mind, some of us think ViP could also stand for Very idiotic Player ...

Lol, while Dish receivers have their problems sometimes, I have read many many posts about people who switched who commented they do miss the Dish receivers....

In my (long) history with Dish, they seem to follow the same play card. The first software is very buggy. The next couple make the receiver stable but still with bugs. Then the next couple fix most things and the receiver is mostly great, but there always is that one or two things that remain that are annoying. My 301, then 508, and now 612 all were like that. The 612 has been quite good now, with the annoying rewind/forward glitches remaining. But they record reliably, work flawlessly with my EHD, and record three channels at once with no problems.

Note to all interested, it is now free to add an EHD. They got rid of the 40 dollar fee. Atleast thats what they said in the meeting on tuesday last week.

Note to all interested, it is now free to add an EHD. They got rid of the 40 dollar fee. Atleast thats what they said in the meeting on tuesday last week.

Except for the VIP 211, which still requires the fee.

Hi inazsully,

Where is that? I looked on their site and only saw a 1TB for $99.99 (they did have a 2TB for $129.99.

Maybe its right there and I just missed it.:confused:

Don't know if they have it online but I bought one last week at their San Jose store.

I have one of these and it works great with my 622s. The 622s recognize the 1.5TB and gives you the remaining free space just fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts