External powered in-line amplifier?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lekes

Original poster
Dec 1, 2010
Atlanta GA
DirecTV rookie looking for advice. I have a setup at hunting camp trailer park and bring converter box (D11-100) from home for the weekend. I have DTV dish setup (18" round) using a Eagle Aspen Dual Diplexer Combiner/Splitter. I have 1 short run to my camper with no problems. :) I have a longer run (approx 75') to a friend's camper next door that I put in a in-line amplifier/booster (Perfect Vision). The first weekend I got it working, I did have a good signal, all channels I wanted. The next time (3 wks later) I brought a different box (D12-100) but the signal was greatly degraded, even with the in-line amp. Most transponders showed in the 50s or 0, the best was a single 81%. :( I could get higher channels, many pixilated like rain-fade was setting it, but nothing lower than about Channel 200 or so. At lower channels, TV screen will show the banner for the channel and a small info test box saying it is searching for signal, but no picture. :confused: I have double checked all connections since I made them from bulk cable using good connectors and proper tools.

It was a rainy weekend, the in-line amp is under cover but outside. Is moisture a concern? How can I solve that problem if so. Is there such a thing as a powered (external supply...plug-in) in-line amp? Looking for advice.

Thanks in advance!
Lekes

If you have only one line running from your dish and you are trying to basically use a splitter for additional lines the signal is going to be very weak. The in-line amp will also have to rated at the proper mhz. Sounds like you need a 2x4 multi-switch with two lines running into the switch from the dish lnb. One for 13v and one for 18v. Then you could run up to 4 lines to 4 different locations.

bayoubrut said:
If you have only one line running from your dish and you are trying to basically use a splitter for additional lines the signal is going to be very weak. The in-line amp will also have to rated at the proper mhz. Sounds like you need a 2x4 multi-switch with two lines running into the switch from the dish lnb. One for 13v and one for 18v. Then you could run up to 4 lines to 4 different locations.

If he gets 2 lines from lnb then no need for multiswitch unless he's adding a 3rd rcvr.

If he does have only one line running from that dish then the use of a splitter is the problem.
Splitters just don't work properly with a legacy dish.

That dish may have a dual output LNB, so use both in this situation.

Status
Please reply by conversation.