External storage problem (VIP 622)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cruzmisl

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 29, 2004
Hi All,
I had a recent lightning strike that toasted my receiver. The attached hard drive now shuts down my new receiver. Is there a way to copy the programs to my new HD using my computer which doesn't shut down? Any ideas? I have a ton of programs I don't want to lose.

Thanks
J.

Sounds like the EHD may be toast too.

First question - does a PC de the drive? Not read, see.

Is there a way to copy the programs to my new HD using my computer which doesn't shut down? Any ideas?

Yes. The easiest way I have found to do that is to boot up a live CD or DVD of your favorite Linux that still allows you to log in as root. (Some distros no longer even have a root user.) Prerequisite is to have your receiver format your new EHD appropriately. Then, plug both EHDs into your PC running LInux and drag and drop the program folders from the Disharc folder on one disk to the Disharc folder on the other. If your EHD is greater than 500GB, then there will be some number of approximately 500GB ext3 partitions. So, if your old disk has 3 such partitions, then you would might have to do this 3 times.

If you use a Linux distribution that has no root user, then you will have to gain facility with the "chown" command. ;)

Reactions: the mack

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts