External USB Storage

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Oooo, free shipping, too! Thanks, charper1! :up

My 500GB Free Agent was starting to fill up on my 622. 1TB should last a bit (sorry) longer.

I had a 750 Free Agent Pro (with eSata) that I was using for an external drive on my HD Tivo for a time. The passive cooling of the Free Agent case didn't keep the drive cool enough, given the application I was using it for. However, I cracked it open and put the drive in an Antec MX-1 case, and it's been running like a champ since.

1TB Seagate Dish External vs Western Digital

I am using five 1TB seagate drives in Eagle Consus M series enclosures and have had numerous "drive not recognized" errors which Dish has resolved by performing a remote "hit". I just had long talk with Dish about a new error 788 which tells me to click yes to get the drive recognized by the same Dish receiver on which I have always used it. For some reason, the Dish equiment thinks I have switched the external drive to a different authorized receiver. Dish just said many Seagate problems have been reported. "Seagate drives do not like being on all the time" sayeth Dish. No outstanding problems reported with Western Digital. I am going to order one of the 1TB Western Digital GREEN drives which only has 16mmg cache instead of the 32mg cache of the Seagate and give it a try. Has anyone tried the 1TB Western Digital Green Drive 16mb cache with GOOD playback from the external drive? If yes, please post results.

GlobalComputer.com is offering the Seagate FreeAgent 1TB standalone for $169.99 + shipping. Five year warranty.

The FAP 1TB sells for $20 more.

@classithongs: I bought a 1TB Western Digital Green for my Mac Pro and it's been running about 5?C cooler than the 250GB Seagate that came with the Mac. Whether that means that it's using less enegry or not, I can't say, but at least it's not being turned into heat... :up to the 1TB WD Green.

Regarding the Seagate drive spinning/being on all the time: I've had my 500GB Free Agent hooked up to my 622 for the last 7 months with no hiccups at all. I ran the software patch to prevent the drive from shutting off when idle (per the recommendations on this board) and it's been a solid performer. I should have shut off the LED light bar, though, since it's pretty obnoxious in a Home Theater environment. Maybe some black electricians tape...

Has anyone tried the 1TB Western Digital Green Drive 16mb cache with GOOD playback from the external drive? If yes, please post results.

I have one of these installed internally in one of my Series 3 HD Tivo's. It has had no problems whatsoever. I can't say the same for the 750Gb drive that I pulled out of the FAP. It had all kinds of problems until I put it in an actively-cooled drive enclosure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)