Extra 622 Fees w/o HD?

andrews777

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 5, 2004
I currently own 2 522s and I am using SkyAngel-only, though with locals and the public interest channels. I pay Dish each month for the right to have my DVRs and the 2nd receiver. :(

If I buy 2 622s on Ebay, will I get hit with any additional fees? I like the idea of extra space (since we still manage to fill them up with so many recordings), which I believe the 622 has. I don't expect to be going to HD for a while.

It might be worth it if it would "only" cost me $400 or less to upgrade and I could sell my 522s for something, but I want to avoid the HD access fee I have seen somewhere. I am not sure if I would avoid that if I owned the units.

Brad

If you are not going to use the OTA, don't know why you would want a 622 now. If you want what you have now with OTA, I'd look for 921's or 942's. The 942 would also use the external HardDrive when they come available, so you could add more space to the receiver without buying another one.

I won't upgrade to something being phased out, but I would like more hard drive space. The 522 is worth the monthly cost over my previous 501, but I don't want to pay any more fees.

Brad

If you get two 622s, it will be $12.00 extra with no extra programming. If you add the HD programming, it will cost you $20.00 but at least you'll get the HD programming.

I understand you don't want to pay extra but getting the HD package sounds to me like a better deal if you decide to add two 622s.

I won't upgrade to something being phased out, but I would like more hard drive space. The 522 is worth the monthly cost over my previous 501, but I don't want to pay any more fees.

Brad

They are only being phased out as far as HD programing is concerned. They are still good as an sd receiver with OTA. Dish is reissuing them with a different model number.

Longtime reader - first time poster. I'll spin off from this thread a little...

I recently purchased a HDTV and I am using an OTA antenna to get my HD locals. I would *love* to simplify my wiring and use my HDMI port in the back of my TV for my Dish receiver. I currently have a 625 connectied via s-video. Is it possible to upgrade to a 622 (to use the HDMI since it has an all-digital signal and have only one wire connecting my TV to the receiver) but not upgrade to an HD package? I am also hesitant about getting a bigger dish since I live in a condo and my current dish is taking up a majority of my porch :)

Thanks in advance for the input!

IF you buy a 622 you can go without the hd pack but you will be charged for the hd enabeling fee of $6.00. This would allow the ota portion of the receiver to work for you. You can not lease a 622 from Dish WITHOUT an hd pack period.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)