EyeTV Sparks from Coax to USB

saxmann

Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
Midwest USA
Hello,

I recently purchased an Elgato EyeTV Hybrid to view TV on my iMac. However, when I plug the coax from my 722k (on tuner 2) into the EyeTV and then into my iMac, I see a little spark from the USB plug before it goes into the port. I found one thread in another forum suggesting that it may be a grounding issue.

The EyeTV worked fine and I was able to view programming from the 722k before I noticed that it sparked when I plugged it in. I'd rather not fry my iMac (the port still works for other things) and am wondering how to resolve the issue.

The user in the other forum got a reply from Elgato saying it was a grounding issue and that he needed to contact the installer (in that case, it was a cable company).

I have tried another cable and one drop from another room. I assume this is coming straight from the dish? Any ideas?

Thank you for any suggestions anyone might have

I'm not familiar with this product, but it could be a wiring problem in your home. I had a very strange problem on a circuit...I won't get into it, but it would do all sorts of strange things on anything with a DC converter. That includes sparking from an RF coax connection.

Don't unplug the coax with the USB device plugged in. Always remove the device, then select your antenna, then plug the device back in. The arc you're seeing could potentially damage the USB device, if not the USB port on the computer, if you keep doing what you're doing.

I guess I'm using the home distribution output. I was just thinking it was" tuner 2" since that's what I normally use it for in that room.

I plug the coax into the EyeTV then the EyeTV into the USB port on the iMac. I don't believe I have ever added the coax after the USB was already plugged in. I have also tried this once with a powered USB hub in between with the same results. Although I haven't plugged the USB all the way in again since I've seen the arc. The strange thing is that if I plug it into my powerbook, I don't get the arc and it works fine. I also don't get a spark from anything else plugged into the iMac's USB port.

I'm just anticipating Elgato pointing at Dish's wiring and Dish pointing at Elgato. If this is a grounding issue, how would I troubleshoot this on my own? Would this be a receiver to cabling problem or the dish itself not being properly grounded and being passed to the receiver and then up the line? What is the normal range for current on typical coax in Dish installations? Can I check this with an off the shelf voltmeter?

I'm clearly out of my area of knowledge. Thanks for the suggestions so far

I doubt it's a grounding issue, but that is possible. Have you tried using the 10dB UHF attenuator included in the Dish box? That might help tame the arc a little.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts