F1 races on SpeedHD not in 16:9 (but they are in D* and cable) WHY?

faster345

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 30, 2006
San Pedro, CA
Searched for this topic in this and the Speed boards, didn't find anything. It seems while Direct and cable SpeedHD subscribers get Formula One races in 16:9 (the feed from Europe is not true HD but certainly better than 4:3) Dish reformats it and broadcasts it in 4:3 on both Speed and SpeedHD. Can anyone explain why this is?

Searched for this topic in this and the Speed boards, didn't find anything. It seems while Direct and cable SpeedHD subscribers get Formula One races in 16:9 (the feed from Europe is not true HD but certainly better than 4:3) Dish reformats it and broadcasts it in 4:3 on both Speed and SpeedHD. Can anyone explain why this is?

I think E* usually just passes on whatever it is fed. You might try contacting Dish to see what they know. I'd select Tech Support from the menu.

I think E* usually just passes on whatever it is fed.

Why would they be fed something different than everybody else? D*, cable and Verizon Fios show the 16:9 world feed, Dish doesn't. Seems like they are going out of their way to make it 4:3. Will try tech support...don't think they'll know anything. Are you in front of your TV? Are you sure you're watching the HD channel. Did you try resetting your receiver? Oh please with the retarded questions from those people.

Didn't watch last weeks race. But the F1 races that were on Dish when they added Speed HD were 16x9. Make sure you haven't hit the * button on the remote and accidentally changed the format on the Dish receiver to pillarbox.

Everytime I have watched the F1 races on Dish on SpeedHD it has been 16 by 9.

Second that. Every race that I have watched on SPEED HD has been in 16X9. Check your format to make sure its "Normal" like the other guys said.

And 16 X 9 on Fox HD, too.

If the courts do not change Mad Max's 2010 rules this Friday, June 12th, it might be a moot point. Massa, Alonso and Hammilton have all gone record stating they will not race under the 2010 rules. I read that FOTA is in talks with Moto GP management about getting a new series started ASAP. That could very cool - having a two wheel/open wheel weekend of racing.

Faster345, I just remembered, SPEED HD re-aired Turkey in its entirety. Is replay 4 X 3? The original broadcast this past Sunday on FOX was in wide screen. Have not watched the replay for the pit walk and full interview, yet. If you waited to watch the replay, I commend you for that. FOX would air three laps, take a commercial break that lasted three laps, repeat. Bob Varsha would spend the first lap after the break recalling all the great racing FOX chose not to air.

The NHL Network would replay yesterdays game in 4 X 3 even if an HD recording was available. It was not until the Playoffs and Finals that the replays were rebroadcast in HD.

Yes the Turkey race was on Fox and it was broadcast in 16:9 and I saw it in 16:9, but every other 2009 F1 race I have (and I have all six so far from this season) are recorded on the Speed HD channel and are in 4:3. Can this be just my receiver??? I know all about the * button, thanks for the advice guys. I got the Dish 'HD in a Box' promotion 5 years ago and have since moved up to a Vip 611 and have enjoyed watching all the new shows and channels evolve into HD and I enjoy Indycar and ALMS and other race shows on SpeedHD, Versus, ESPN, ABC, Fox, etc all in beautiful HD but so far not F1 on Speed. This is really strange!

Thanks for the responses! One question: can you folks that get F1 in 16:9 (which seems like everyone but me and maybe two other chaps) please tell me if the program description says 'HD' at the end? I know it's not really HD but many shows that are not really HD but appear on HD channels are stretched or cropped or whatever and the description still says 'HD'? Reason I ask is that I get the 'HD' in the description on Speed's NASCAR, ALMS and other series but not for F1 practice or qualy or races. Thanks again.

Speed does not list F1 events as HD on their website. At the beginning of the season most were not listed as (HD) on EPG. The last two races were listed as (HD). This will vary by region based on content provider. Neither Dish nor SPEED have final say on what a local data supplier will feed your DVR.

Give Dish a ring and talk to a technical CSR about the problem. They can ping your receiver remotely and see if there is a problem. Be forewarned, sometimes it takes a couple of calls to reach a tech that know the answer. You have 11 days to find a fix.

Yes the Turkey race was on Fox and it was broadcast in 16:9 and I saw it in 16:9, but every other 2009 F1 race I have (and I have all six so far from this season) are recorded on the Speed HD channel and are in 4:3. Can this be just my receiver??? I know all about the * button, thanks for the advice guys. I got the Dish 'HD in a Box' promotion 5 years ago and have since moved up to a Vip 611 and have enjoyed watching all the new shows and channels evolve into HD and I enjoy Indycar and ALMS and other race shows on SpeedHD, Versus, ESPN, ABC, Fox, etc all in beautiful HD but so far not F1 on Speed. This is really strange!

I had a similar problem with one of my channels. make sure that the DVR is recording the SPEED HD channel and NOT the SPEED channel. I think sometimes it gets confused and picks the SD version of the channel when it starts recording. Check you DVR recording schedule and make sure that it's picking SPEED HD.

Hope this helps.

At least two others on the Speed forums have this same issue with F1 on Speed HD through Dish Net. Just sayin'.

If people have SpeedHD on Dish and see races that are not 16:9 and other people see races on SpeedHD on D* that are 16:9, it does not mean that there is a difference between the Dish feed and the D* feed.

It likely means they are referring to different broadcasts at different times.

For your Thread Title to be correct, you would have to have both Dish and DirecTV and switch back and forth during a race...

Thanks for the responses! One question: can you folks that get F1 in 16:9 (which seems like everyone but me and maybe two other chaps) please tell me if the program description says 'HD' at the end? I know it's not really HD but many shows that are not really HD but appear on HD channels are stretched or cropped or whatever and the description still says 'HD'? Reason I ask is that I get the 'HD' in the description on Speed's NASCAR, ALMS and other series but not for F1 practice or qualy or races. Thanks again.

Do you have it setup to record anything that says Formula One? I had to make new timers to tell the DVR to record the HD version of the channel in place of the SD version.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts