Factual E* vs Adelphia HD/DVR comparison

wmhjr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 23, 2004
I've now had some time to directly compare the overall service and features of both Adelphia HD and DVR functionality with Dishnet. As some may have seen already, I've made my decisions. However, I thought it would be helpful to provide some factual comparisons for others.

First, the setup. Both the Dishnet 921 and the Adelphia Scientific Atlanta 8300HD are connected to my Toshiba 46" DLP with integrated tuner via RGB. They are both connected to my HK AVR by Toslink Optical cables. I can instantly (OK, there's about a 2 second delay) switch back and forth between Adelphia and Dishnet on the same exact audio and video devices, and both using standard provided cables (No moster, AR, etc) with the exception that they both use AR Toslink cables. This is probably as direct a comparison as you can get without measuring instrumentation.

Let's start with the remote. The 921 UHF remote is clearly nicer. It has a better range, doesn't require line of sight, and has the 30sec skip function. it's laid out nicer and seems more intuitive. The SA8300 remote is a bit clunky, has no 30 sec fwd skip, the ff isn't as nice. Advantage: Dishnet 921.

Next, the User Interface. The 921 is cleaner, more intuitive, and better resolution. It also provides much nicer program info than does Adelphia and the SA8300HD. Some details, however:

The SA8300HD guide allows you to instantly jump to whatever day you want. The 921 forces you to scroll through days until you get the day you want, and the guide for OTA doesn't go nearly as far in the future as does Dishnet provided channels or any Adelphia channels.

The SA8300HD guide is faster than the 921, but frankly both are speedy enough for me.

The 921 allows you to start recoring a program, then while it's still recording start to watch it from the beginning easily. The SA8300 requires to to rewind back to the beginning manually. Then, if you're still watching it while the recording ends, it will stop. You'll need to start watching it again and FF until you get where you left off. A bit funky.

The SA8300 has NBR, and season pass. The 921 has neither.

The SA8300 has no ability to accept OTA signals, so no DVR or tuner functionality there. This is important, as it means if you have an HD "ready" TV but no OTA tuner, you'll need another tuner. However, this is really mitigated by the fact that Adelphia has all my locals in HD except Fox, so it's not nearly as important. The 921 can accept OTA feeds to it's tuner, and use the guide to treat OTA just like another feed. When it works, it's incredible. When it works. In my experience it has been unbelievably unreliable to the point that it often completely locks up my 921 to the point that I need to unplug and reboot. Also, since I can also connect my OTA antenna directly to my TV tuner, I've found that the 921 OTA tuner is "weaker" than the one in my Toshiba tuner. Signal drops far more frequently when the antenna is connected to the 921 than when connected to the Toshiba integrated tuner.

The 921 has 2 Dish tuners, and 1 OTA tuner. The SA8300HD has 2 cable tuners.

The SA8300 has a BUNCH of other possible connections: 2 firewire, SATA, USB, both Toslink and Coax digital audio, and HDMI. Don't know how many of them will ever be used, but great possibility - especially the SATA for more storage! The 921 is similar, except no SATA, no firewire, no digital coax, and gets DVI instead of HDMI. Clear advantage here to the Adelphia SA8300HD.

The recording capacity of the units "seems" to be very similar and HD, but for some reason it seems that non-HD content capacity is greater on the 921 than on the SA8300. I'm not sure of the accuracy of that statement.

HD PQ is pretty much identical on both units, as is Audio quality. Additionally quality of recorded content also seems to be identical.

SD (and analog for some channels on Adelphia) PQ is strange. On my Toshiba HD screen, the SA8300 seems to be upconverting somehow, and the PQ seems better than from the 921. That even includes comparing what are really analog programs from Adelphia (local Non-HD networks) to true SD equivalent locals from Dish. However, when viewed on my other non-HD CRTs, the 921 (or my 508's or 510) look a bit better. Really strange. But, it leads to a decision that I'll state at the end of this.

Reliability: No question at all, and no comparison. The HD8300HD always works. The 921 seems to work really well - except if I use OTA channels. Then, the thing is like driving a Ford Pinto. Looks OK back when it was on the showroom floor, but breaks down a lot and frequently blows up. One thing I want to emphasize here - there are a bunch of people who seem to be willing to accept less than optimal reliability in the 921 because they claim it's like a PC. Hogwash. Let me be very clear. PC's are highly variable in terms of hardware, components, etc. Then, anyone who wants to can modify them by adding programs, applets, services, etc. Further, you can modify the Operating System - which, by the way has to be designed to somehow accomodate a whole bunch of variability to begin with. Then, they get used in hugely different ways by a huge number of people - in laptops, etc. The 921 is ONLY used on the Dish network, and the software ONLY has to be designed for a very narrow focus of hardware, and for a very narrow set of features, with very specific standards. The OS does NOT get modified by users, and NO additional programs, services, or code can be added by end users. It's NOT mobile and is COMPLETELY controlled by Dish. To compare the Dish 921 to a PC is patently ridiculous. Some people are willing to accept less than reliable performance. That's fine. However the comparison to a PC is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard with respect to technology. There are processors/computers in everything these days, including in your car. So what. Further, Charlie has had a YEAR to fix the overwhelming number of bugs in the product, but they've discontinued it finally rather than fixing it. Dish and Charlie should be completely ashamed of themselves. Actually they should be prosecuted.

Conveniece: Again, no comparison. I live about 10 minutes from my local Adelphia office, so exchanges, fixes, etc, are a 30 minute exercise during normal hours, and appts are surprisingly easy to schedule if I need on site service. Also, no extra cost if something breaks.

Content: Once again, no comparison. Adelphia provides all LOCALS except Fox in HD. I also get HDNFL, INHD, INHD2, ESPNHD, HDMVS, HDNET, MAXHD, STZHD, SHOHD, HBOHD, and PBSHD. With Dish I get TNTHD, DSCHD, NBAHD and NY CBSHD that aren't on Dish, but miss all HD locals, STZ, INHD, INHD2, MAX, STZ. Adelphia seems to add HD content at a pretty rapid pace compared to Dish, both currently and historically.

Cost: For me, Adelphia is the clear winner. Overall, Adelphia still wins for everyone. Here's why.... I had to purchase NOTHING with Adelphia. I lease all units, get more programming, and even get movies on demand (not the ridiculous crappy VOD that does nothing except bilk us out of money) but really get content on demand if I want it. Didn't need to pay $549 for the 921, as well as buying my 508s and 510 outright (which makes me further angry about the VOD fee that Dish tries to get). I have no contract, and am not commited to anything. For equal programming (Adelphia Ultimate Plus versus Dish Americas Everything, both with HD) my monthly cost is slightly lower with Adelphia. Further, since I get my broadband internet from Adelphia, I get a further price break. So, lower monthly cost, cheaper broadband, and I save the cost of all equipment, and no installation fees, plus a variety of free service for the first couple months. And - if I want "standard" cable (non-digitals) on any more TVs in my house, I get it instantly and at no cost whatsoever :yes . No "6 unit limit". My home is kind of large so that actually is a factor for me.

Bottom line: To me, Dish isn't even in the game. They used to be, but are now not even second rate. Adelphia is the winner in every category I care about. Do I wish the interface on the SA8300HD was as nice as the 921? Yes. Will that help me get network HD content? No. Dumping Dish gave me more content, lower cost, higher reliability, more convenience, more flexibility, faster customer support, better response time, and a lower investment. Plus, I mentioned a decision earlier in this post that I'd discuss later. Well, what I meant is that I have 3 SA8300's. ALL of them are capable of HD. So, the cost for me to adopt MORE HD is only the cost of a set! As a result, I'll be adding another HD TV of a more "normal" size in our bedroom the next time I stumble on a great deal. With Dish, I'd need yet ANOTHER 921 at $549, but then I'd need to figure out exactly how I'd then get OTA to yet another room without losing OTA signal. Am I in love with Adelphia? Heck no - they've been theives in the past, and probably remain so. But, when forced to pick from a restricted group of choices, I'll take the "least bad" choice. I've tried to be very unbiased here. I probably have a couple more days before the shipping labels arrive to RMA my 921 back to Dish. If you've got questions, let me know.

i have had the 8300 for about a day now and love it. it has worked out of the box and has not needed a reboot. i had to reboot my 811 about five times the first day.

i was reading about the 8300 over at avs forums and it will give you some tricks to get pass the part about having it stop on you and then have to fast forward.

it will also output both the hdmi and component at the same time. i believe all out puts will work at the same time.

my reasons for leaving dish where pretty much the same as yours. i have been very happy the past day with my locals in hd except nbc. i love the inhd channels. the deal i got was great. made it a no brainer for me.

Thanks

I'll check the avs forums to see how to get the most out of the 8300HD. Like you, all three of mine have been solid so far with no lockups. I do miss some of the features of the 921, but don't miss the lack of reliability (or the cost!)

Just came across this thread....very good comparison!

I am leaving VOOM because they are discontinuing service. I went back to Adelphia and had three SA8300HD DVRs installed last week, which are like the model T: they do the job and everyone can afford one, two or even three. I'll be sitting on the sidelines waiting to see if/when D*, E* or even Verizon offer more HD choices along with affordable HD DVRs.

VERY good report, wmhjr!

A couple of points of clarification:
  • The 921 guide has 24-hour skip buttons. Sounds like you didn't discover that feature. No biggie.
  • As for PQ - what you're seeing relates directly to E* overcompressing their channels. Cable doesn't need to do this. Digital "quality" can be worse than old analog OTA - if the provider stuffs 12 pounds (channels) in a 6 pound bag (transponder).

I hope your good impressions and service continues with either Time Warner or Comcast now that Adelphia has been bought. Locally, Comcast is almost as reviled as the phone company.

If its one thing I wish E* would do is open up its system for third party manufacturers to build STBs for their service. Not only would you get options for equipment but the competition should make everything better.

mudder1310 said:
If its one thing I wish E* would do is open up its system for third party manufacturers to build STBs for their service. Not only would you get options for equipment but the competition should make everything better.
They are letting SBC do just that for SBC Dish customers. Surely you've heard of the upcoming 2Wire-manufactured Home Media Portal for SBC Home Entertainment. (SBC will also begin offering fiber TV service in select areas, and will gladly switch current SBC Dish customers over in those areas. Charlie must love that.)

During the 6 month waiting period away from Dish before I can sign up with SBC Dish for that Media Portal box, I'll just have to suffer with the Comcast Motorola 6412 dual-tuner HD DVR. No upfront fees. Less cost per month for more programming. I hope I can bear it!

We're going to get Time Warner here in these parts. From what I've seen with channel lineup we'll get another 20 channels we don't presently recieve with Adelphia also. Then there is the increase in HD channels that'll be a bonus. I just hope the qualit holds up after everything is swapped over. Pricewise it'll be a 2 dollar increase. Hell, when was the last time Charlie did that and tossed in 20 channels though. NEVER! To boot they are actual channels that are worth a crap and not more shopping channels.

Thanks for the comparison. In our area we have Comcast and the Motorola 2-tuner DVRs, I think the comparisons are similar. I love the Dish program guide and remote compared to the Motorola I've played with. However, the Mot WORKS, and I don't need to pay $250 for the right to "lease" their box. Clear pricing advantage.

Even with the newly announced VOOM 10 channels in HD, I'm thinking of switching. I need a HD DVR, the 721 has spoiled us rotten.