Fading Drifting Audio - Help

Tom Reid

Original poster
Dec 1, 2004
On my 622 DVR I record about everything for later playback. Recently, on Phoenix local channel 15 (ABC-HD) I recorded the NBA Finals . The play-by-play commentators' voices drift up and then down every game - almost inaudible at the low points. During the halftime stuff, the volume level stays the same, no problem. Certainly during commercials, the volume level stays great. My wife says exactly the same thing happens during the morning recording of her "The View" (same channel). No other channel does this - only ABC. I argued with Dish that this is their problem since everything is OK on all other channels. I replaced the HDMI cable with no result. I think someone at Dish is compressing too much. Tech help says "I don't know." OTA is fine if I disconnect the Dish equipment - no fading audio. Recording OTA; however the recording of ABC OTA fades (recorded thru the Dish receiver). Any ideas on this annoying problem? Thanks!

I have the 411 HD receiver and have noticed the same thing on our local CBS station and on some other HD channels (ie: DiscoveryHD), especially when there are programs with loud backgrounds/music ("When We Left Earth" was one in particular)
The technical director of our local CBS station told me that they do not compress or limit the audio. Dish has told me that they do not either, but somewhere it is being done.
This compressing/limiting does not happen on the non-HD versions of the same stations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)