Failure to Offer "Always Record" Option Solved!

andrews777

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 5, 2004
I finally figured out why I could never get some of my periodic recordings to offer an "always record" option. I was having to go in each week and override the choice.

The issue is that this seems to only be available on the "All" recording option. If you have a recording for Weekly or M-F, it will not allow you to always record the show. This is kind of annoying, but choosing the "All" option works around the problem.

I don't know if anyone cares, but this had bugged me for a long time. :)

Brad

The differences in "features" between the Dish Recievers and TIVO, is for the most part, terminology. (semantics)

for NBR = Select = "All" (records all instances of the chosen program on specified channel)

For NBR = Select = "New" (records all first run episodes of the chosen program on specified channel)

For NBR = Select Dish Pass (records all instances of chosen program criteria airing on any/all channels found in program guide)

Manual timers =

Weekly ( once a week same time - on selected day)

daily (every day same time - 7 days)

M-F (every day same time - every weekday)

Once (selected episode)

** Note **

This is for the 942 and 622 recievers. I assume the newer SD DVRs work in a similar fashion. (ie. 625 , 522 )

Last edited:
Except that the M-F and Weekly settings still skip "duplicate" episodes. I would be much happier if it would just record them no matter what, or at least allow me the option to specify that.

Brad

To do that you have to go into the Timers and manually "Restore" your desired airtimes. However, upon subsequent scans, the box may "Skip" the airing you had previously restored.

DishSubLA said:
To do that you have to go into the Timers and manually "Restore" your desired airtimes. However, upon subsequent scans, the box may "Skip" the airing you had previously restored.

It also requires that I remember to do so each week. Why can't it do an "always restore" for the other categories?

Brad

andrews777 said:
Except that the M-F and Weekly settings still skip "duplicate" episodes. I would be much happier if it would just record them no matter what, or at least allow me the option to specify that.

Brad

Then select "ALL" and it will record them all.

Simple.

NOHDjunkie said:
Then select "ALL" and it will record them all.

Simple.

Except that I will also get the show multiple times during the day, if it is shown at different times. Why not have it work the same for M-F as it does for ALL?

Brad

andrews777 said:
Except that I will also get the show multiple times during the day, if it is shown at different times. Why not have it work the same for M-F as it does for ALL?

Brad
They try to design these things for the way most people want to do their recording. While there are many of us on this board who have our special desires, the fact is the vast majority of people would not want the DVR to function as you desire. Most people don't want it to record an episode it already recored, and the viewer has most likely already seen the first time, and recording it would clutter the DVR list of recordings and it would seem more frustrating to the average viewer. Dish won't spend valuable software programmers, time and labor cost for features that only a few of us would use and the vast majority would see as confusing and complicated. But do email Dish and request it. They really do listen to their customers, but unless a whole lot of other people request that feature, you probably will never see it added.

Last edited:
We should add that the manual timers, except for "once" option, will also record the show even if it is to aired a few hours before or after the original set time.

DishSubLA said:
They try to design these things for the way most people want to do their recording. While there are many of us on this board who have our special desires, the fact is the vast majority of people would not want the DVR to function as you desire. Most people don't want it to record an episode it already recored, and the viewer has most likely already seen the first time, and recording it would clutter the DVR list of recordings and it would seem more frustrating to the average viewer. Dish won't spend valuable software programmers, time and labor cost for features that only a few of us would use and the vast majority would see as confusing and complicated. But do email Dish and request it. They really do listen to their customers, but unless a whole lot of other people request that feature, you probably will never see it added.

I agree that it won't necessarily happen, but it would not be any "special" work to have it work the same way all the time. Just allow the "always" flag for M-F and Weekly recordings as well as ALL recordings....

Brad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)