Fan voise from receiver.

dc00

Original poster
Dec 19, 2005
I have a leased standard DVR receiver (501?) in the bedroom. The fan used to run at a low speed and kick to a higher speed when the unit got warm.

For quite some time now we noticed that the fan always runs at the high speed. It creates noise in the evening and affects our sleep. We keep the room temperature in low 70s so overheating shouldn't be the cause.

Called Dish last night. The CSR was nice and knowledgeable. She asked me to pull off the power cord for a while and put the power back on. Then the fan started to run at the low speed with much less noise. She told me to call back if this turned out to be an issue later and Dish will replace the unit. I was happy.

Later on I noticed that once the fan kicked to the high speed, it never came back to the low speed. Another noisy night. So I called Dish again today. A clueless CSR fed me lots of garbage and eventually told me that this is the way it it and Dish wouldn't do aynthing about it. I'm angry.

Wondering if anyone had a similar issue? Should Dish replace the unit?

Thanks,
Dennis

Speaking of squeaky wheels and grease, the issue might be the fan itself, especially if it has a sleeve type bushing. As it warms-up it makes more noise due to increased friction in that bushing. It might just be wearing out.

Either way, E* should replace the receiver. Like boba said - play "roulette" until you get some satisfaction, but in this case don't call the CSRs - talk to the tech support folks instead. In my experience they are more knowledgeable in general, and they also seem to have a bit more leeway in terms of helping folks out...

Do they write some notes every time I call? If so, the next person would know I've been calling for the same issue repeatedly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)