Fascinating and suspicious issue with my 722 and HBO/Cinemax

jesuitx

Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Los Angeles
This is my first post, so bear with me :) I've had the 722 now for about 2 months, and so far I'm extremely happy.

There is a fascinating problem happening with some of my recorded HBO and Cinemax programming. During credits sequences, the DVR stops responding to all commands from the remote. And I mean ALL of them. Can't time shift, can't power off the box, can't do anything.

I find this absolutely fascinating since it ONLY happens during credits sequences. Whether or not its the credits at the beginning of the record, or the credits at the end. The breaking point is RIGHT at the beginning of the credits, and it happens during shows and movies with varying lengths of credits, so I doubt it's just coincidental. Dish tech support says there's no known issues involving this kind of thing.

Anybody think the evil bit has finally been set?

Is your TV an LCD? If it is it could be IR interferance. Try turning the TV off and see if you can power the 722 off and on to verify.

Yep, you were exactly right. There is massive ir interference on my new Samsung LN52B630. The effect is strengthened when 120hz mode is on.

Is there any easy way to deal with this other than to turn the tv off, and then rewind out of credits?

Can you place the 722 so that it is shielded form IR radiation from the display, i.e. on a shelf or in a cabinet (VERY well ventilated)?

Try putting two or three layers of beige masking tape over the IR sensor on the 722. It's ugly, but it works with a Sharp panel I have that does the same thing.

I actually already have the box in a cabinet below the TV.

I'll try the masking tape trick. Frankly I don't really care how it looks :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)