Fathers day not as big as mothers day?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenl

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jan 2, 2006
Disney World
I am wondering during mothers day weeks before the even there are ads and sales all over the place. You cant get away from not knowing mothers day is soon. But with fathers day it seems you have a couple places with sales, and a few ads, but its not a big deal..

So to all us dads out there GO US!!!!

Its a typical thing that fathers day would be less celebrated than mothers, it all comes down to the psychological aspect of emotions and such that men have a lack of showing and expressing, basicly us guys are tight lipped about our feelings where as women openly express it plus they are the ones that wont let us forget that for the 2 mins of pleasure we had they had 9 months of carrying our children so Im all for them having all the hoopla that comes with mothers day.

Its a typical thing that fathers day would be less celebrated than mothers, it all comes down to the psychological aspect of emotions and such that men have a lack of showing and expressing, basicly us guys are tight lipped about our feelings where as women openly express it plus they are the ones that wont let us forget that for the 2 mins of pleasure we had they had 9 months of carrying our children so Im all for them having all the hoopla that comes with mothers day.

Not sure I follow that. What difference does it make how expressive or uptight the recipient is? Hopefully mom is not shopping for herself in may. The real question is why do the SHOPPERS seem to spend nore on Mom than Dad. i see no reason why the shoppers would not be equally didivided between male and female for both events.

I dont expect nor want anything from my wife on fathers day. I only expect to be able to spend time with my 2 boys. That to me is enough for any dad. However... My wife... Forget to send the flowers on mothers day and I may need to stay at one of your houses :)

Possibly because Mother's day has religious connections (certainly dating back several centuries), originally as a feast honoring Mary but later expanded to all mothers.

Father's day is a 20th century invention created to mirror Mother's day. Though it has precedants in the early 20th C., it didn't become an official holiday in the US in 1972!

CDH.

Possibly because Mother's day has religious connections (certainly dating back several centuries), originally as a feast honoring Mary but later expanded to all mothers.
CDH.
Thats true I'm sure ,But I'm not sold on mothersday being as big of a deal,as it is now, because of that. Its all marketing and sales Just like Valentines Day.

More phone calls are made on Mother's Day than on any other day of the year. More collect calls are made on Father's Day than on any other day of the year.

Father's day is a 20th century invention created to mirror Mother's day. Though it has precedants in the early 20th C., it didn't become an official holiday in the US in 1972!

CDH.
I think you are overemphasizing the religious aspect as to why Mother's Day is "more popular." It was begun by Ann Jarvis, as a movement to rally women to improve sanitation in the 1850's, then to specifically improve sanitation in camps of both armies in the Civil War, and then to re-unite the country through mothers after the war. It quickly became a hugely commercial holiday, and Jarvis became one of the day's biggest critics because of that.

IMO the answer has been given in some of the posts in this thread. Mother's play the guilt game better to emphasize the day, and father's aren't supposed to care about that sentimental crap.

What I notice is that more people come to church with mom on Mother's Day, where at least in some congregations having the most of your kids with you is a big status point, and more people go fishing, or to a ball game, or anything other than church, on Father's Day.

There are many "origins" of Mother's Day. See Wiki. Also see this. The connection to Mary is somewhat tenuous, as it was simply another attempt to co-opt another pagan holiday by the christian church. Probably the oldest connection would be to Isis.

There are many "origins" of Mother's Day. See Wiki. Also see this. The connection to Mary is somewhat tenuous, as it was simply another attempt to co-opt another pagan holiday by the christian church. Probably the oldest connection would be to Isis.

I'm sure there is truth to the mixed origins, especially in the way in which the holiday is celebrated in the US. But let me say that in my experience outside the US (Europe, other places with Christian traditions) Mother's Day still has the religious connection and is less commercial than in the US.

Heck, this is a country where businesses try to make *Memorial Day* an excuse to go buy a new washer/dryer, or President's Day an opportunity to go car shopping.

All the attached marketing is a bit distasteful, but having days to recognize one's parents is not a bad thing.

CDH.

Mother's Day
Dad lets Mom sleep in and takes care of Kids.
Dad buys Mom card & flowers.
Dad hires sitter for kids.
Dad takes Mom to a nice restaraunt for dinner, and then a movie.
Dad pays.

Father's Day
Kids wake Dad up early
Kids give Dad homemade card.
The family goes to the buffet for dinner.
Dad pays.

Mother's Day
Dad lets Mom sleep in and takes care of Kids.
Dad buys Mom card & flowers.
Dad hires sitter for kids.
Dad takes Mom to a nice restaraunt for dinner, and then a movie.
Dad pays.

Father's Day
Kids wake Dad up early
Kids give Dad homemade card.
The family goes to the buffet for dinner.
Dad pays.

That about sums it up :eureka: :hungry: (PS: I love a good Chinese Buffet.)

Not sure I follow that. What difference does it make how expressive or uptight the recipient is? Hopefully mom is not shopping for herself in may. The real question is why do the SHOPPERS seem to spend nore on Mom than Dad. i see no reason why the shoppers would not be equally didivided between male and female for both events.
Women carry the children from conception on, they are almost exclusively the ones to take care of them as they grow up and tend to cuts and bruises and be the shoulder when to cry on, basicly mom is the one that in most households is always there as opposed to dad who has historicly been the one thats brought home food and fire ect ect ect. As for the emotions and expressive comment the average normal guy is not one who is prone to sharing his feelings beyond a grunt or "Im ok" where as a woman if you ask her how she's feeling will give you a laundry list of her feelings if its been a bad day unless your the reason for the bad day wich she will then give you the "fine" answer.

I think Father's Day is the biggest holiday outside of Christmas for SEARS -- all those tools, they think I want -- I don't :D

My wife let me get:
A Mitsi HD Front Projector; a 106" screen; an in-wall sound system; a new subwoofer; and a Blu-Ray player, all within the past 3 weeks. I think I have been treated like a king. :D

Women carry the children from conception on, they are almost exclusively the ones to take care of them as they grow up and tend to cuts and bruises and be the shoulder when to cry on, basicly mom is the one that in most households is always there as opposed to dad who has historicly been the one thats brought home food and fire ect ect ect. As for the emotions and expressive comment the average normal guy is not one who is prone to sharing his feelings beyond a grunt or "Im ok" where as a woman if you ask her how she's feeling will give you a laundry list of her feelings if its been a bad day unless your the reason for the bad day wich she will then give you the "fine" answer.

Thats my role, Along with the others you mentioned (aside from carrying the children from conception!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)