favicon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anole

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Sep 22, 2005
L.A., Calif.
I use FireFox with the tab feature, and am logged into a dozen or more web sites at once.
I even have a script that hooks me up to them all at startup.

Knowing which tab is which is helped by the occasional site having a favicon.
It shows up in the tab as a little picture.

Since the forum upgrade, I've not seen the favicon.
Actually, I don't reboot nor restart FireFox very often.
Maybe every week or two.
So I'm not sure when the favicon disappeared.

At first, I thought it was just my browser.
I'm using version 1.0.7, and with all the recent trouble here with 1.5, I'm not inclined to change right away.
However, many other sites still are showing their favicons, so maybe it's not me after all. :)

A normal place for the favicon would be:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/favicon.ico
However, it's possible to locate it at other places, with the right .html

I don't remember there ever being a favicon honestly, but I mentioned this a week ago when the generic vBulletin icon was displaying. I guess the blank page is better than the vbulletin pic, but I'd like a little satellite dish or maybe a "SG" at some point...Once things are back up and working 100% I'd feel more comfortable complaining about such a small thing again...

I see the blue TV now. In the URL field put your cursor to the left of "http" and expand it to the right and the favicon should display.

RandallA, that's a bizarre little trick but it there it is on the address line and it updated the favorites icon too!

Anole said:
At first, I thought it was just my browser. I'm using version 1.0.7, and with all the recent trouble here with 1.5, I'm not inclined to change right away.

There are no Firefox v1.5 specific issues that have not already been explained as another source or issue. Also the favicon on Firefox also works as it should.

I see the new favicon.
Hard to do a really unique picture that looks good in so few pixels.

The old one looked like a V from a distance, but maybe it was a side view of a sat dish and arm.
Having any favicon is 100% better than none.
Thanks.

edit: if you're looking for inspiration for a new favicon, see the Sadoun.com site.
His favicon is on-topic and recognizable from a distance.
Also, Yahoo.com has a red Y that's good.

Last edited:
I like Shawn's favicon.

The site mentioned above is the one I found to explain favicons and make ya one from your bigger graphic.

You could have a red/white/green/brown logo for Xmas season, and change 'em with the season. :)

Think anyone is up for a contest?

Icons should stay the same...

And I also think shawn's is better, it's a satellite site, satellite URL, the icon really should be a satellite IMO...Or maybe if it stays a tv (which makes sense), get rid of the blue circle around it...

I'm still seeing the vBulletin logo in Safari on Mac OS X 10.4.3.

Anyone know how to nix that on the Mac?

(I'm a relatively new Mac owner).

LER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)