New Install, new equipment?

AIsmail

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
Stewartsville, NJ
So, after being Dish free for four years now, I'm considering going back. I've tried YouTube TV, Fubo, and what not and for a few more bucks, I'd prefer a non-internet based system. Given the current state of traditional tv services, would I be getting new equipment or something refurbished? I'm looking to go with a Hopper 3, a Joey 4K receiver and two wireless Joeys. Thanks in advance for the info.

You wouldn't be purchasing any equipment, therefore any possible deficiencies resulting in malfunction will be covered by the provider. I don't believe you would be regardless be able to know whether installed hardware had been in previous use. Further, there's a saying that a used part is a proven part- that it's more likely that a system component will fail either at startup or in a shorter timeframe if it is newly produced (and thus unproven) than if it is moderately used and working well.

It's probably safe to assume given DiSH's recent churn rate that it's likely some of hardware will have been previously deployed.

DiSH hardware has proven generally very reliable and usually will run for years without need of replacing.

So, after being Dish free for four years now, I'm considering going back. I've tried YouTube TV, Fubo, and what not and for a few more bucks, I'd prefer a non-internet based system. Given the current state of traditional tv services, would I be getting new equipment or something refurbished? I'm looking to go with a Hopper 3, a Joey 4K receiver and two wireless Joeys. Thanks in advance for the info.
None of it will be new. Very very unlikely there are many new receivers anymore

Supposedly if you specifically ask for the plus they'll still set you up with it. But as far dish pushing they haven't been. I hear they will try again this summer.

My experience with the wireless Joey 4 though is terrible. I personally had one in my house and it was excruciatingly slow. I had to finally just run a cable and get a wired joey4.
But overall I really like my hopper plus and joey4.

I think their focus is all on cell phone service, getting the financing money to expand out to 75% and to keep the bankruptcy from happening as long as they can. I don't think that they see them selves being a TV provider much longer. The way churn is accelerating each quarter there won't be many subscribers left by the end of this decade. So cell phone company or bust. :smug

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have no complaints about my Hopper+

I turn on my TV see what new episodes my Hopper recorded then open the appropriate app and watch the episodes.

Yes that’s what I do, record my shows on satellite then stream them.
I do something similar except I access the apps via my Apple TV or Roku.

I think their focus is all on cell phone service, getting the financing money to expand out to 75% and to keep the bankruptcy from happening as long as they can. I don't think that they see them selves being a TV provider much longer. The way churn is accelerating each quarter there won't be many subscribers left by the end of this decade. So cell phone company or bust. :smug
They have some new irons in the fire. Not sure if I can say anything on here or not though

Echostar might be in business, but DISH satellite TV service won't. I don't see this lasting till 2030.

Dish and Direct merging at some point is the only path forward, just like Sirius and XM. There will always be a market for satellite tv for the foreseeable future, but the market share is certainly shrinking every day. We’ll also see streamers and tv providers continue to consolidate and merge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dish and Direct merging at some point is the only path forward, just like Sirius and XM. There will always be a market for satellite tv for the foreseeable future, but the market share is certainly shrinking every day. We’ll also see streamers and tv providers continue to consolidate and merge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with a Direct and Dish merger is the equipment is completely incompatible so all subscribers of one service will need to be transitioned over to the other.