Favre to Retire (Again)!

yes that was part of it. just like favre was forced out of greenbay but the difference is marino knew it was a bad idea to go to another team like favre did. it's best to accept when your skills have diminished but yes you're right. if he's not forced out he would've played at least another season in miami. which by the way i would've liked because i hate the way his last season ended in that playoff against the jaguars. horrible game!

I don't think that Favre was forced out as much as he forced GB's hand with his indecision. In hindsight, GB may have been right, and they will be a better team this year from Rodgers' year of experience.

i agree. and at least marino knew when to go unlike favre. going to another team is one mistake i'm glad marino didn't make. when it seemed he was going to the vikings i wasn't thrilled about it. i'm glad he controlled himself and put the gun away.

Marino knew when to go? :haha:haha:haha:haha I loved Marino but come on.

his last year was 12 TD's, 17 int's they were 5-6 in games he played in. He broke 20 TD passes ONCE in his last 4 seasons.

The interception record is one that will probably never be broken. Favre had that unique quality that he was able to play as many games as he did, win enough games to allow him to play that long, and have these stretches of suckness where he felt he could force the ball into triple coverage.

It took the prior record holder (George Blanda) 26 years to accumulate his INTs. Favre only needed 18!!

Favre threw an int 3.3% of the time Blanda did it 6.6% of the time. Favre also threw the ball over twice as many times as Blanda. 4007 vs 9280.

I don't think that Favre was forced out as much as he forced GB's hand with his indecision. In hindsight, GB may have been right, and they will be a better team this year from Rodgers' year of experience.

Yes that's correct. he forced gb's hand. i would've done the same thing. but by forcing their hand he was forced out since he did want to play for green bay but they had already moved on. can't blame them. this little drama by brett makes me sick. i hope it's truly over.

Yes that's correct. he forced gb's hand. i would've done the same thing. but by forcing their hand he was forced out since he did want to play for green bay but they had already moved on. can't blame them. this little drama by brett makes me sick. i hope it's truly over.

Coming back would be a big mistake, like watching Unitas in his final season with the Chargers, or Willie Mays in his last season. The mind tells you it can stil do it. The body brings reality back in to focus. You could see that he had run out of gas at the end of the season. He had a great career and I loved his childlike enjoyment of the game, but I hope he leaves well enough, alone.

Marino knew when to go? :haha:haha:haha:haha I loved Marino but come on.

his last year was 12 TD's, 17 int's they were 5-6 in games he played in. He broke 20 TD passes ONCE in his last 4 seasons.

i'm guessing you also know that when jimmy johnson came in he completely changed the offense to something that he knew did not take advantage of marino's skills. his last year was bad due to injury,age and diminished skills. i say he left at the right time.

Last edited:
Coming back would be a big mistake, like watching Unitas in his final season with the Chargers, or Willie Mays in his last season. The mind tells you it can stil do it. The body brings reality back in to focus. You could see that he had run out of gas at the end of the season. He had a great career and I loved his childlike enjoyment of the game, but I hope he leaves well enough, alone.
:up

Isn't that essentially what his '08 season was?? It was to me....

Yeah but most of his came in the first so many years of his career. He just punted probably for the last 6 or 7 years of his career.
Another way to look at it would be to just count the seasons each player actually threw an INT:

Blanda - 18
Favre - 18

It's a tie in seasons, but Favre wins because he has more INTs!!! :)

If you stick around long enough, you'll break some records....

Another way to look at it would be to just count the seasons each player actually threw an INT:

Blanda - 18
Favre - 18

damn you hit the nail on the head my friend! :up

i'm guessing you also know that when jimmy johnson came in he completely changed the offense to something that he knew did not take advantage of marino's skills. his last year was bad due to injury,age and diminished skills. i say he left at the right time.

We could hardly move....he hung on 1 or 2 seasons too many. He wanted a trophy, Which you can not blame him for. I just think saying Favre stayed too long but Marino did not is not being fair to Favre. The numbers do not back it up. And as I said I love Marino. Best passer I have seen.

Blanda - 18
Favre - 18

damn you hit the nail on the head my friend! :up

Did you too see where Favre threw 9280 passes to just over 4000 for Blanda?

did you see where favre threw a int 3.3 % of the time and Blanda 6.6% of the time.
Montana was 2.6%, Dan Fouts 4.3%, Marino 3.0%, terry Bradshaw 5.4%, Fran Tarkenton 4.1%.

You should try rational well thought out arguments. not unfounded hyperbole rooted in disdain for a person.

did you see where favre threw a int 3.3 % of the time and Blanda 6.6% of the time.
Montana was 2.6%, Dan Fouts 4.3%, Marino 3.0%, terry Bradshaw 5.4%, Fran Tarkenton 4.1%.

You should try rational well thought out arguments. not unfounded hyperbole rooted in disdain for a person.

argue all you want he's still the king of interceptions. give the amount of games played by favre to some of these other qb's and they would've accomplished more than favre did. but go ahead,continue to argue.you'll be arguing by yourself because i'm not interested. :) take care.

We could hardly move....he hung on 1 or 2 seasons too many. He wanted a trophy, Which you can not blame him for. I just think saying Favre stayed too long but Marino did not is not being fair to Favre. The numbers do not back it up. And as I said I love Marino. Best passer I have seen.

i can agree with that.

Uh oh, looks like we riled up a cheesehead.

Yes, I saw all that and my point was that numbers can always be found to justify your position. I have no disdain for Favre, I respect his work ethic, his enthusiasm for the game, and his ability to stand up to the rigors of the position. I also respect the way he was able to deal with and play through the personal tragedies in his life. But, I strongly believe that the reason he holds the records he does is directly related to the qualities I just listed.

But, like many, I had grown tired of the soap opera his off-seasons had become, and the media's constant fawning over him.

As for the interceptions, it wasn't just the quantity of them (again, I feel attributable to his longevity), it was the timing of some:

• the 2002 playoff game against St. Louis, six interceptions
  • 2004 playoffs against the Eagles where he threw an interception in OT to set up the GW FG
  • 2008 against the Giants, ditto

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)