FCC & a lacarte

dragon002

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
DONORA PA
FCC Green Lights a la Carte
Given Federal Communications Commission Chairman Kevin Martin's earlier opinions suggesting a la carte is a viable model for selling video programming to consumers, it's not surprising the agency and its Media Bureau came out with a one-sided report that stated program choice is workable in the pay-TV marketplace.

The FCC's a la carte report was released Thursday, and proposed that consumers could be better off under a la carte. The report also explored several a la carte options consumers and industry companies could consider when studying program choice.

The FCC report also took aim at what it calls "mistaken calculations" in a 2004 study on a la carte conducted by Booz Allen, which was originally submitted by the cable industry for commission consideration. The Media Bureau said the Booz Allen Study failed to net out the cost of broadcast stations when calculating the average cost per cable channel under a la carte. As a result, the study overstated the average price per cable channel by more than 50 percent.

The report said the current industry practice of bundling programming services may drive up retail prices, making video programming less affordable and keeping some consumers from subscribing to a pay-TV service. For many popular networks, advertising and subscription fees may rise as viewers shift to a la carte programming options, even if consumers opt to watch only a few channels, stated the FCC report.

Also, a la carte could make it easier for programming networks valued by a minority of viewers to enter the marketplace, the report said.

Key lawmakers commented on the FCC move.

Ted Stevens, the Alaska Republican and chair of the Senate Commerce Committee, said if a la carte is not more expensive for consumers, "I will support an effort to take such an approach, subject to discussions with providers on the downside of such a process."

Said Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), "The report confirms what I have believed for years - if consumers are allowed to choose the channels their families view then their monthly cable bill will be less. Choice is far preferable to being

REPRINTED FROM SkyReport 2.10.06

i really think you a la carte guys will rue the day that this takes effect.

do you believe that dish or directv will do free installs OR provide you with programming at only .....12.00 per month,,, it AINT GONNA HAPPEN.....EVER!!

Last edited:
damaged,

i was not only talking DBS, can you imagine comcrap giving you a hd dvr and you only subscribe to 10 channels?? there was a member on here the other day who posted he only watched 3 channels!!! yeah, if i was a provider id really give him a free install, the equipment ET AL .....then wait 100 years to make a profit!!

dragon002 said:
damaged,

i was not only talking DBS, can you imagine comcrap giving you a hd dvr and you only subscribe to 10 channels?? there was a member on here the other day who posted he only watched 3 channels!!! yeah, if i was a provider id really give him a free install, the equipment ET AL .....then wait 100 years to make a profit!!

And let's not forget, the only way something like this _could_ be done is by MORE government regulation (going all government provided media services (communism anybody? maybe just a tiny bit?)), thereby creating a stale financial model for media providers, and stagnation of programming and more goverment strangleholds on direct media marketing control.

These people (the FCC) will wrap up a peice of dog crap in roses and tell you it's heavens' mana if it gets them more power and a higher budget.

charper1 said:
Although I am not saying I would or would not trust them, but I can see them adjusting or changing with the times.

Ahh, are they, or are they only giving the _illusion_ that they want to change with the times, if they showed resistence people would soon see they (the FCC) are indeed obsolete in this day and age.

Everything they have done in the past, and present has somehow suddenly been 'changed' once it started to interfere with their ability to control, for if they do not control, why do we need them?

Check out those links I provided in the other post in this thread, feel free to do some of your own research as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)