FCC considers allowing cellphone calls on planes

First and foremost, the cockpit crew must absolutely be held harmless for cutting off communications at their discretion. They must also be granted any necessary control over such communications.

Conspiracy theorists are going to go nuts (and perhaps rightly so) about how this could be used to coordinate terrorist activities.

Ummm. A cell tower has a 15 mile range..a jet plane is moving about 700 ,miles an hour at 10000 feet..even if a phone could connect it would be constantly switching towers..I don't think its possible to make a cell call however. maybe the plane will use some dort of satellite communication to allow calls with a onboard cell antenna

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Proposal is to connect cells thru aircraft system to Iridium and another satellite system.

And more like 30,000 feet.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Good lord, please no...

These call will most likely cost enough per minute to eliminate most problems.

Ummm. A cell tower has a 15 mile range..a jet plane is moving about 700 ,miles an hour at 10000 feet..even if a phone could connect it would be constantly switching towers..I don't think its possible to make a cell call however. maybe the plane will use some dort of satellite communication to allow calls with a onboard cell antenna

They do it already in Europe and remember they used to have phones in the seat backs...

These call will most likely cost enough per minute to eliminate most problems.

They do it already in Europe and remember they used to have phones in the seat backs...

Those weren't cell phones...I'm still thinking they will be out of range

Those weren't cell phones...I'm still thinking they will be out of range

The way it works now is a box communicates with the outside and sets up a private cell signal in the plane so that ordinary cell phones will work. The cell phones do not have direct contact with the ground cell towers. Think of it like a cruise ship...

The way it works now is a box communicates with the outside and sets up a private cell signal in the plane so that ordinary cell phones will work. The cell phones do not have direct contact with the ground cell towers. Think of it like a cruise ship...

Ok

If this passed I would only fly in Airlines that decided not to allow for cell phone use.

I have no problem with iPads and laptops but I don't want to hear people talking and being rude to those around them who want to relax and sleep.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Text only if allowed
and data. Almost sounds like they're going to "store" passenger's communications and send (and receive) in bursts every so often. Really no different than providing WiFi on planes.
...look at all the people now that bring to theaters, shows etc. with no thoughts about those around...
My daughter and I went to a movie yesterday, in fact, and were in the 2nd to last row. Once the movie started, I saw NO ONE on their devices. I was impressed.

Somewhere, I recently read about this.
Users needed to load an app and register before takeoff.
Don't recall details, other than the plane equipment handled the connection.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/25/in-flight-phone-calls_n_4332047.html?utm_hp_ref=technology

Another article on this. Essentially saying the FCC wants to allow it so that the FCC is not blamed for not being able to make phone calls in the air. It will be up to the airlines to take the blame/credit as needed:

Airline consultant Robert Mann says airlines have been using the FCC as an excuse not to allow cellphone use. He believes the agency wants to get itself out of the equation.

To complicate matters even more, the airlines actually don't need to wait for the FCC. Yes, the government would need to remove the restriction for you to make normal calls in flight. But there are already plenty of ways to make calls legally over airline Wi-Fi networks, while keeping your phone in "airplane mode." The airlines just choose to block such calls.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/25/in-flight-phone-calls_n_4332047.html?utm_hp_ref=technology

Another article on this. Essentially saying the FCC wants to allow it so that the FCC is not blamed for not being able to make phone calls in the air. It will be up to the airlines to take the blame/credit as needed:
good luck trying to use "skype" on a satellite internet connection..I don't think airlines are really blocking it..I think it would just sound like crap..........http://www.sfgate.com/technology/article/Satellites-to-speed-Internet-access-on-airlines-4723210.php

They do actively block Skype. Surprisingly they do not do the same for Google Voice and a few other services. I suspect your comment on audio quality is spot on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts