FCC Public Notice for MVPD Internet Rules

I have some concerns with this and redefining MPVD. First and foremost, regulation equals cost. This extra cost could defeat the purpose of doing this on the internet, or at least make it way more expensive than it is now. If costs are too high you eliminate the innovation, creativity and options available since you knock small startups and independents out of the game before it starts.

What is a MPVD? 1 channel? 2? 20? Private systems too? How does the designation help or hurt each size range? Does the designation become a requirement and if so what are the criteria?

What is going to happen is that internet MPVD's and channels become "regulated". Dish, DirecTV, Comcast and other traditional providers then say, "we have to comply with all sorts of regulations and requirements because we are MPVD. All the little guys need to as well. So this leads to closed captioning requirements, minimum E/I content hours, must carry etc.In the end this could be so heavially regulated that everyone is pushed out of the business except Dish, Direct, Comcast and the other traditional big names.

This whole proposal is a slippery slope. It might start out looking ok and well intentioned but it won't end that way. It is going to be bad for small business, independent artists/channels/content and the consumer. The government needs to keep their hands off the damn internet!!!!

Reactions: nelson61
The FCC rulemaking public notice on internet streaming. Provides rights and responsibilities for Internet streaming similar to the cable/sat companies.

FCC Nov 19,2014 public Notice
I have some concerns with this and redefining MPVD. First and foremost, regulation equals cost. This extra cost could defeat the purpose of doing this on the internet, or at least make it way more expensive than it is now. If costs are too high you eliminate the innovation, creativity and options available since you knock small startups and independents out of the game before it starts.

What is a MPVD? 1 channel? 2? 20? Private systems too? How does the designation help or hurt each size range? Does the designation become a requirement and if so what are the criteria?

What is going to happen is that internet MPVD's and channels become "regulated". Dish, DirecTV, Comcast and other traditional providers then say, "we have to comply with all sorts of regulations and requirements because we are MPVD. All the little guys need to as well. So this leads to closed captioning requirements, minimum E/I content hours, must carry etc.In the end this could be so heavially regulated that everyone is pushed out of the business except Dish, Direct, Comcast and the other traditional big names.

This whole proposal is a slippery slope. It might start out looking ok and well intentioned but it won't end that way. It is going to be bad for small business, independent artists/channels/content and the consumer. The government needs to keep their hands off the damn internet!!!!

See Link below
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/fcc-moves-ala-carte-internet-759650

Well it appears that for now you have to declare yourself an MPVD to fall under the new rules. It is voluntary. If you declare yourself a MPVD you can then use the existing rules to negotiate with programming providers for your service. If you do not declare yourself an MPVD then you can do whatever you want, but you cannot force networks to license you their content. If you can pay them enough to get the content then you are free to stay out of the MPVD system.

Well it appears that for now you have to declare yourself an MPVD to fall under the new rules. It is voluntary. If you declare yourself a MPVD you can then use the existing rules to negotiate with programming providers for your service. If you do not declare yourself an MPVD then you can do whatever you want, but you cannot force networks to license you their content. If you can pay them enough to get the content then you are free to stay out of the MPVD system.
I think you guys mean an MVPD:

multichannel video programming distributor (MVPD)

DRCars

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts