FCC wants to do away with all "set top boxes"?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The additional box fees all providers charge are a bunch of Bullsh!t.

You buy the box, you pay no fees above the base package price.

I have Comcast and my TiVo is hooked up to 6 televisions and I just pay the base package.

If I didn't have a Directv employee account that I'm paying over $100/mo for because of all my additional box fees, I would drop them In a minute and go with Comcast as my only Tv provider.

Once you go to the TIVO platform, it stacks up very good to the genie and hacker/Joey setup

The additional box fees all providers charge are a bunch of Bullsh!t.

You buy the box, you pay no fees above the base package price.

That is why the FCC is mandating the change in the first place. The set top fees have increased and doubled over the years and it is gouging the public. I agree if you buy the extra set top boxes , there should be NO additional receiver fee or Outlet fees. Hell I think if you buy all your equipment there should be NO fees period. But the apps for DISH could easily be done now with Dish Anywhere and a few changes so you could use more than one at the same time in the same household. Sling tv is doing that now, allowing you more than one streaming feed at one time in the same household.

comcast lied to me stating cable cards are obsolete, they wanted me to get a comcast dvr

comcast cant be trusted, their reps are pushed too much

Comcast has me pissed off. They absolutely refuse to give me access to my local government, public access, and school channels, unless I buy the basic package. That should be illegal, as they are community based channels.

The issue began when the FCC decided to allow cable companies to encrypt local programming. Before, I got all the OTA Channels and public access channels. I am a phone and internet sub. Anyone with a hook up should get access to their town or city's channels.

Comcast has me pissed off. They absolutely refuse to give me access to my local government, public access, and school channels, unless I buy the basic package. That should be illegal, as they are community based channels.

The issue began when the FCC decided to allow cable companies to encrypt local programming. Before, I got all the OTA Channels and public access channels. I am a phone and internet sub. Anyone with a hook up should get access to their town or city's channels.

I usually agree with your positions, or at least understand and am sympathetic to them. In this case, I'm not following you. You're not a Comcast television customer, but you think they should be compelled to furnish you with certain television programming?

That is why the FCC is mandating the change in the first place. The set top fees have increased and doubled over the years and it is gouging the public. I agree if you buy the extra set top boxes , there should be NO additional receiver fee or Outlet fees. Hell I think if you buy all your equipment there should be NO fees period. But the apps for DISH could easily be done now with Dish Anywhere and a few changes so you could use more than one at the same time in the same household. Sling tv is doing that now, allowing you more than one streaming feed at one time in the same household.

Dish used to let u buy the box AND pay the fee

I usually agree with your positions, or at least understand and am sympathetic to them. In this case, I'm not following you. You're not a Comcast television customer, but you think they should be compelled to furnish you with certain television programming?
Pre-digital the carrier that the cable company used to send you your internet / phone also included really basic tv channels, so it used to be somewhat "included" in your package. Now that everything is digital one needs a convertor at each tv location, so I can understand the angst somewhat.

All I want is my kids' school channel and my town's channel for public meetings. That should be given for free to anyone. I don't even want their carriage of my locals. But the public access should be public access. Heck, I already pay for those channels through my taxes.

Reactions: AZ.
They need to come up with a new name for these devices. With today's "sets" being only an inch or two thick, there is no way you are going to place anything on top of them.

All I want is my kids' school channel and my town's channel for public meetings. That should be given for free to anyone. I don't even want their carriage of my locals. But the public access should be public access. Heck, I already pay for those channels through my taxes.

suggest to your town they stream these channels on the internet

So once again the Big Business concerns will trump any change in the system. So look for set top prices to continue to climb if they don't allow set top competition to exist.

Not really big business concerns, more than it is free market concerns. I mean, the FCC was looking out for customers in 1992 and 1996, right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)