FCC wants to do away with all "set top boxes"?

Not exactly. The proposal is that each provider must develop an APP that can be used on devices like a Roku to get the programming you are subscribed to, without the need for a set top box.
It does not mandate any other box be available including a TIVO unless it was an APP on it - which means it would not be recordable. Btw Roku is against the idea. It in no way ends current set top boxes it is meant to have a choice.

Apparently it is already in trouble because it isn't a matter of just making an app. It takes making a different app for each device out there and the proposal at least as it now stands makes each operator make one for any device that it wants. And for free. There is no standard being proposed as to how the APP works because the FCC was advised that would definitely be defeated in Court. Nothing prevents the cost of packages to rise to cover lost income, for instance charging less for boxes and more for packages. Or adding fees. I have a feeling it won't happen as least as it now stands.

Last edited:
Reactions: dare2be and SamCdbs
If Dish loses $10 monthly in fees due to the change, they will just raise their rates $10 monthly to make up for it. Another stupid idea from the F.C.C.
I basically did exactly that to my Dish bill, switching from a ViP612 DVR to a ViP211k, and switching from Welcome Pack to Flex Pack without any add-ons and with the $5 per month autopay credit. I decided I would rather spend the extra $10 per month on programming, rather than fees.

Yep. This is a solution in search of a problem. So every TV and stand alone DVR would have to have a dozen descramblers built in (DISH, DirecTV, various cable standards) of which 99% of consumers would use only one. And the $5 "rent" on the box goes away and the price of the service goes up $5.

DirecTV already has TVs with built in DirecTV minis. Which in the free Market, you can choose to buy or not.

So a Roku or TiVo box, with the addition of some app, can magically receive a satellite signal? Where do you plug the cable from the dish antenna?

So a Roku or TiVo box, with the addition of some app, can magically receive a satellite signal? Where do you plug the cable from the dish antenna?
IP, same as an APP works now.

Which brings up another thing, it doesn't (and as the FCC says can't) change any contracts. So if DISH is not allowed to stream a channel now, it wouldn't be on the app. FCC was clear about that. It also would not change any packages, meaning this isn't an A La Carte thing and has nothing to do with OTT like Sling TV though I see it as blurring the lines.

Reactions: osu1991
I'm sure any apps will be much less functional than the Hoppers. Maybe even without DVR functions.

As noted by others, Sat is distributed via satellite. This would seemingly require Sat providers to provide programming via Sat and IP. An "app" isn't anything without a device that runs the app. Perhaps once TVs are smart enough, you can just hook the Dish wire into the TV and be able to watch Dish without a box (or other supporting benefits), but we aren't there yet, I think.

As noted by others, Sat is distributed via satellite. This would seemingly require Sat providers to provide programming via Sat and IP. An "app" isn't anything without a device that runs the app. Perhaps once TVs are smart enough, you can just hook the Dish wire into the TV and be able to watch Dish without a box (or other supporting benefits), but we aren't there yet, I think.

Dish would just open up the Dishanywhere app for OTT subscriptions. Extending the Cable Card regulations to include satellite would have been nice, but it appears they are going to let Cable Card fade away without any replacement, offering this flawed app approach instead. The MPVD will have control over the app, so forced ads and such will surely be the norm.

I havent read the article, but does it mention that providers cannot charge for the outlet? From all I have heard is that they will give the consumer the choice of device to use, but I haven't heard anything preventing the charge for additional outlets.

Dish would just open up the Dishanywhere app for OTT subscriptions. Extending the Cable Card regulations to include satellite would have been nice, but it appears they are going to let Cable Card fade away without any replacement, offering this flawed app approach instead. The MPVD will have control over the app, so forced ads and such will surely be the norm.
But this requirement would modify how Dish is required to provide their content, now needing a wire. Requiring televisions to be able to decrypt Sat tv directly would seem a wiser course. The only wire that should matter for Sat is the one from the dish to the TV.

But this requirement would modify how Dish is required to provide their content, now needing a wire. Requiring televisions to be able to decrypt Sat tv directly would seem a wiser course. The only wire that should matter for Sat is the one from the dish to the TV.

There is no requirement, everyone can still get their programming on their Hopper, X1, Genie, etc if you wish, all the FCC wants is a extra option

Under the new plan, pay-TV providers would be required to offer free apps that allow you to watch all the programming you'd normally watch through a cable box, with no restrictions, on a streaming device. They could make the apps themselves, or "provide the necessary code" to another developer that'd make the apps on their behalf.

That means that if you subscribe to cable, you'll no longer have to rent a cable box from the company. If you own a streaming device, like a Roku or an Apple TV, you'll be able to watch everything through an app that would function like Netflix or Hulu's app does now.

http://www.businessinsider.com/fcc-cable-box-new-proposal-apps-2016-9

This is something that certain cable companies are already doing at no charge on the Roku and I think a good option, you could have a Roku type device in a room ( kids room) that only needs live TV or a room does not get much use (spare bedroom) and save on the monthly charge.

A good example is like owning your own Cable Modem to get your signal or you could keep paying a monthly charge to use theirs, it is your choice.

We have already seen that Dish does not charge for the box (tuner) but for the drop. The Joey App have the same fee as a Joey and there was no hardware.

I guess I'm missing the main point here. Would this require DISH or DirectTV to provide all of the programming over the internet that they now provide through satellite? If so, that's a little more than just developing an app, isn't it?

I guess I'm missing the main point here. Would this require DISH or DirectTV to provide all of the programming over the internet that they now provide through satellite? If so, that's a little more than just developing an app, isn't it?

Charter, Time Warner ( still two separate apps), Centurylink Prism TV and soon Comcast are already doing it, of course DirecTV and Dish could do it.

And don't forget services that are Net only are already doing it, Playstation Vue and Sling.

Reactions: MikeD-C05

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)