Fear the Walking Dead (Walking Dead spin-off)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by whitewolf8214, Dec 5, 2014.

1. whitewolf8214

whitewolf8214 Topic Starter SatelliteGuys Master
    Pub Member / Supporter Lifetime Supporter

'The Walking Dead' Spinoff: Everything We Know So Far
    By Kimberly Potts 19 hours ago Yahoo TV
    • [​IMG]
      Cliff Curtis, Alycia Debnam Carey, and Frank Dillane

While The Walking Dead fans are still reeling from Beth's brutal death in Sunday's midseason finale, AMC is making big moves on the TWD spinoff series. Actor Cliff Curtis — best known to TV viewers for his roles in Trauma, Gang Related, and Missing — has been cast as Sean Cabrera, the character who will act as the companion series' version of TWD leader Rick Grimes.

New Zealand native Curtis, 46, also has an eclectic movie résumé, including Three Kings, Bringing Out the Dead, The Insider, Training Day, Whale Rider, Live Free or Die Hard, Push, The Last Airbender, and Blow, in which he played Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar.

The spinoff series, which will be set in the same postapocalyptic world Rick Grimes and friends are maneuvering through, albeit in a different location, has no official title yet, but The Hollywood Reporter and Deadline report that Curtis's Sean is a divorced teacher who is "a good man trying to do right by everyone in his life."

AMC will not confirm character or storyline details (or the show's working title, Cobalt), but The Hollywood Reporter reports that Sean has a son with his ex-wife, Andrea, and that his female counterpart in the series is a character named Nancy Tomkins, a guidance counselor at the school where Sean was a teacher.

The Nancy role has not yet been cast, but her children have: British actor Frank Dillane (Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and In the Heart of the Sea) will play Nick, who has dealt with drug problems, and Australian actress Alycia Debnam Carey will play Ashley, described as Nancy's "ambitious" daughter. Carey also had a role in Galyntine, the Greg Nicotero-directed sci-fi drama pilot that AMC passed on earlier this year.

TVLine.com reported in September that the Cobalt cast will also include Sean's son Cody, a rebel "known as the angriest kid in town," and a 40-something "somewhat wilted flower child" named Andrea Chapman, who is still reeling from a bad marriage (and who sounds a little like a mash-up of TWD characters Carol and Andrea).

Other speculation about the spinoff includes the suggestion that the story will be set in the early days of the apocalypse, before walkers overran the world.

Does that mean there's a chance Sean's group and Rick's group could meet up eventually?

The companion series pilot, co-written and executive produced by TWD universe creator Robert Kirkman and former Sons of Anarchy (and current Marco Polo) producer Dave Erickson, will also count TWD executive producers Gale Anne Hurd and David Alpert as executive producers, with Erickson as the showrunner.
    https://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/-the-walking-dead--spin-off--everything-we-know-so-far-202656211.html

2. whitewolf8214

Walking Dead Spinoff Setting Revealed https://tv.yahoo.com/news/walking-dead-spinoff-setting-revealed-154341594.html

3. MikeD-C05

MikeD-C05 Pub Member / Supporter
    Pub Member / Supporter

Oh great , maybe we will get a Zombie crossover between the two shows. Both human crews could hook up in Missouri and do an story arc.

4. whitewolf8214

AMC's 'Walking Dead' Prequel: All the Details (So Far) https://www.yahoo.com/movies/s/amcs-walking-dead-prequel-details-far-050002133.html

5. whitewolf8214

‘Walking Dead’ Companion Series Sets Kim Dickens as Female Lead https://tv.yahoo.com/news/walking-dead-companion-series-sets-kim-dickens-female-150851517.html

6. (((Garyd)))

(((Garyd))) Retired C-Band dealer
    Lifetime Supporter

7. whitewolf8214

A Character From 'The Walking Dead' Spinoff May Be Coming To The Series http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/23/walking-dead-spinoff_n_6535134.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

8. royrdsjr

royrdsjr SatelliteGuys Master
    Pub Member / Supporter

I guess that with Alycia Debnam Carey a regular on this show now,the Commander's not long for this world on the 100.

9. royrdsjr

Pub Member / Supporter

This supposed to be the name of the new walking Dead spin-off.I don't know if there is already a thread under this name,but I thought that I would start it here.

10. royrdsjr

Pub Member / Supporter

Oh crap,mods please change the title of this thread to "Fear the Walking Dead." You can probably also combine the other thread started about this,"Walking Dead spin-off,what we know so far" if it's in this folder(that thread was started by whitewolf8214).

#10 royrdsjr, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  11. MikeD-C05

MikeD-C05 Pub Member / Supporter
    Pub Member / Supporter

I "FEAR" that the over exposure of the Walking Dead shows and Fear the Walking Dead spinoff series ,will kill off the entire genre much sooner than if they just left it one show. But I guess we are lucky it wasn't on Cbs or we would have NCIS -Walking Dead Georgia and Csi -Walking Dead L.A. or Csi Cyber Walking Dead.:beaten

Zookster likes this.
  12. beandaddy

beandaddy SatelliteGuys Family

First, it's not on a broadcast network, where there's a half dozen NCIS, and CSI which I've never seen.
    I never expected to like a zombie show, but watch a season one marathon and got hooked.
    I kept asking why there's nothing during winter, then it occurred to me they could spin off crews, writers and directors to have versions of TWD all year long.
    Strike while the iron is hot.
    Then there's syndication.

13. Zookster

Zookster SatelliteGuys Pro

I'm not afraid. With enough time and a good enough budget, I think this show has the potential to improve upon the original series. After 5 seasons, they have a sense of what worked and what didn't. The backstory mythology is well established. And a strong fan base will ensure good enough ratings to pour some $$ into it. I also like that it's set in a sprawling urban area with a ton of resources and early in the apocalypse.

14. Scherrman

Scherrman SatelliteGuys Master
    Supporting Founder

The fact that this show will not be following the comic will either help it out a lot or hurt it a lot. I'm not sure how comic fans will react to it. For me, reading the comic first makes the show better but I'm sure that's not the same for everyone.

15. beandaddy

I've never read a comic, we had TV, albeit black & white.
    From what I understand, TWD is not holding the comics as canon. Rick, apparently lost a hand, Daryl doesn't exist, etc.
    This is TV, not comics. So, an entire large group of people are having creative input.
    Now, in another year they need TWD: Alaska, TWD:Texas, TWD: Portland,TWD:911

16. Scherrman

Scherrman SatelliteGuys Master
    Supporting Founder

There are many differences but there are a lot of similarities too. You'd be surprised how many things are directly from the comic, word for word. Many of the plots are identical with just a few character tweaks. This is why I really enjoy both the comic and the show. I feel they go well together.

17. Zookster

Zookster SatelliteGuys Pro

Since this is set in Los Angeles, it will be interesting to see if at some point the show explores the option of grabbing a boat and finding sanctuary in one of the relatively uninhabited Channel Islands a few miles off the coast of Southern California. A couple of them are nearly 100 square miles and offer spring water, sheep and other edible flora and fauna, and excellent fishing. Native Americans lived on the islands for centuries until the Spaniards enslaved them or killed them off. Today, there are small military installations on some of the islands, possibly offering a source of weapons and gear should the few dozen military personnel stationed there abandon the bases to fight the apocalypse plaguing the mainland. The rest of the islands form a national park, and only one island, Catalina, is a resort destination and has any kind of year-round resident population.

The TV show hasn't really addressed the idea of heading out to sea, though the concept drove the plot of the first TWD video game by Telltale.

18. beandaddy

There's an idea. BTW, the well walker grew gills, I don't know about the one anchored in the pond. Would walkers evolve into a shark behaving, or giant piranha type being?
    Just thinking.
    The military guys would rescue folks. But there's always something like the flu in the prison.

I kept saying, our group on TWD has barely left their neighborhood. I live in the sticks and drive 50 miles for a supermarket, Walmart, or McDonald's. So my neighborhood is rather large.
    Now they finally left Georgia. But left no seed groups behind, much. The hospital folks I guess.

19. TNGTony

TNGTony Unashamed Bengal Fan

The only issue I have with spin-offs for series like this is that is splits the talent pool Unless this is done with a separate creative crew, it can lead to burn-out and more formulaic stories rather than real creativity. I fear the same thing will happen to TWD universe as what happened in the TNG Star Trek universe when DS9 spun off TNG. the quality of TNG in shows is seasons 6 and 7 were dismal in comparison to most of the rest of the series. DS9 started off okay and went down hill from there. I don't want to see this happen to TWD franchise.

20. beandaddy

The movies got worse too. I think they needed new blood.

Separate names with a comma.

More...