Fed up with dish hd.

I also am a past VOOM'r and have gotten sick from watching what DISH has done to its HD. He is right-on with his complaints. I cant' believe that anyone would sit and defend what dish has done or just take a "live with it" attitude. I know when FIOS becomes available in my area...I want to be the first to sub. I don't have any cable option or even over the air.

I want what I pay for. DISH should be addressing this issue honestly or it will be the communications equivalent of GM.

I've been a Dish customer for about 7.5 years, HD for 6 years last month. I'm seriously considering giving my local cable company a try.

It does not have the range of HD channels that Dish has (although it has a few Dish doesn't), but I've never seen the quality of their HD. If the quality is as bad as Dish has become, or as some state it must be because its cable, I may come back.

Although I like the selection on Dish, there are really only about 4 channels I watch, and I'd prefer quality over quantity.

David Dietzel said:
Everyone is delivering HD-lite quality right now until they get bandwidth issues resolved. Cable is FAR WORSE for HD picture quality than satellite -- cable compresses the hell out of its signal.

Wrong, Comcast is known for not giving us HD Lite, it looks so good it keeps me from going back to E*.

David Dietzel said:
By the end of the decade, things should improve -- better compression codecs, better receivers, more sats in the sky and more widespread 1080p sets with users demanding better resolution and bitrates.

Where do you prove that in your statement, the bandwidth issues will never change for a while, while they will keep having to add new HD Channels, the SD ones will still be there, 'better compression codecs'...please, as soon as E* went to MPEG 4, a better compression code, they went to HD Lite, where is the logic in that, that just shows what they are going to try and get away with.

David Dietzel said:
Hang in their with Dish -- they are the best of the bunch at this point in time.

Quantity should not beat out quality, I rather have no HD Lite and a few less channels ( and I get more HD Channels if you do not count the bits starved Voom Channels ), in my area we get all the networks, Universal, MTV ( MHD ), Discovery, InHD, TNT, both ESPNs, HBO, Starz, Showtime, Cinemax, free movies in HD via On Demand, HD PPV movies and soon if the rumors are right, both HD-Nets all in full 1080i and 720P.

Tom Bombadil said:
Don't let the HD-liteheads get you down.

I am left wondering if they sit there watching some of the sub-standard HD and don't even notice it. I wonder how bad it has to be before they do notice it.

As far as Dish being the HD Leader, well, shouldn't one actually have HD if they are going to be recognized as the leader?

I think part of it is that many people have not seem much of full HD. I entered the HD world just a month or so ago, just as Dish was dropping the rest of their stations to HD-lite. If I was not following the situation here, I would probably have just assumed I was getting used to HD and that was why I was not so amazed by it anymore.

I suspect most people also don't bother with OTA, so they can't compare what some stations are putting out and what they look like after going through the Dish process.

.. or see it on some of the OTA broadcasts, esp. with a channel that isn't multicasting.

scooby2 said:
Is dishquality saying anything or are they ignoring us?

I emailed customer support about bitrates and down rezzing and got back a generic message about how Dish can't control the quality of the programming it receives from the various stations. My follow up request for them to find someone literate enough to actually read them my email ,so they would would have some clue as to its contents before responding, was never answered.

Tom Bombadil said:
A lot of people who get some form of HD DVD in 2-3 years, after the players get cheaper, are going to be very surprised by what HD can look like.

Or in my case, Tuesday. That is when I expect my new HD-DVD player to arrive. I'm certain that my Dish channels will look even worse to me than they already do once I watch a movie with it. That's the one thing that I'm not looking forward to, though I already am well aware of what has happened to E*. Switching my receiver from the HD-DVD back to my 622 is going to be a sad experience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)