Fed Up with Eastern Arc Snow Accumulation?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ERSanders

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 3, 2004
Fairport, NY
So far I have had one back mounted, one sandwiched and two front mounted HotShot dish heaters over the last 17 years. All have either been lost due to a antenna change or failed electrically, so I looked for a simpler, cheaper and transferable solution.

I recommend this ONLY for properly GROUNDED metal dishes. Critical!
Use on non-metallic and/or non grounded dishes could produce a shock and fire hazard.

After weeks of searching I found the following solution that, so far, has worked nicely:

First, go to Lowes and Staples and buy the following:
1 - 12 foot EasyHeat Tape for pipe heating $27.94 at Lowes.
1 - package of 1/2" Flexrings (20 Pack) $4.98 at Lowes electrical department.
1 - package of Binder Clips (15 Pack) $5.00 at Staples.
1 - package of 1" 3M automotive double sided tape about $5.00 almost anywhere.
1 - small bottle of GooGone.

When you get home soak the Flexrings in GooGone and remove the crap tape they use... if you skip this step you'll be back! Wash and dry them thoroughly and a apply a 1" square piece of 3M tape.

Then go to your dish and route the heat tape however you want concentrating most of the tape (and heat) at the bottom where most of the snow will accumulate. Here is what I did for my second iteration (there may be a third and fourth after the next snowfall).

20141122_113035.jpg

Then place the binder clips and Flexrings as appropriate for your routing of the heat tape. Make sure the thermal switch near the plug end of the heat tape is in contact with the metal part of the dish. Note: Be careful to place the heat tape in the empty space at the flat side (closest to the camera) of the binder clip so that the heat tape is captured, but not pinched. Critical!

When you are happy with the results after a snowfall or two remove the arms of the binder clips (silvery parts) by squeezing them together.

20141130_132239.jpg

20141130_132226.jpg

Connect to the 120v line and place the plug and socket in an inverted plastic bag, tywrap securely and remember to connect it ONLY to a GFI protected outlet! (critical)

Reactions: stardust3
I forgot to mention that the 12' heat tape consumes about 84 watts of power WHEN the thermostat calls for heat... about 35-40 degrees F. I will also place the circuit on an interior switch and timer so I can also control it remotely. In our public power community the winter cost per KWH is only 0.055 cents (summer is cheaper!), so the consumption for me is insignificant.

It isn't even Easter yet...... lol - Nice post thanks for the info.

There... N... happy now! I can't fix it but maybe someone with a gold badge can.

I have to laugh though, I worked eight years in Aguascalientes, Mexico and the locals frequently got Easter and Eastern mixed up wishing us a Happy Eastern. I guess its my time now.

Reactions: Tampa8
Is a Easter Arc a halo or something? Rainbow?

Seriously, good info. I'm lucky that I knock the snow off with my swimming pool cleaner. As I mentioned before my problems start when it begins to melt. I can have a few inches of snow on it and it still works.

I forgot to mention that the 12' heat tape consumes about 84 watts of power WHEN the thermostat calls for heat... about 35-40 degrees F. I will also place the circuit on an interior switch and timer so I can also control it remotely. In our public power community the winter cost per KWH is only 0.055 cents (summer is cheaper!), so the consumption for me is insignificant.

Even if it was on 24 hours a day at 84 watts and your 5.5 cents kwh rate, it would be $3.33/month. So, really probably closer to $1-2 if you just left it on all the time.

Not bad. I would prefer the stick on heater better.

I do feel your pain having to replace the heater a few times

Claude, the major problem I have had with the stick-on is that they need to be placed on the front of the dish (due to the hole spacing), closest to the LNB and they are very hard to remove, almost always requiring a re-point... if you can get it off. When it comes time to replace my new on, its a 15 minute job.

Update:

The second heavy wet snow we had (about 4-5") was too much for the heat available from the tape, so I stepped up to v3 by the addition of some insulation on the reverse side of the dish. It is placed so that all adjustments can still be made by the tech. The insulation was cut to size on several pieces and held by 3M packaging tape.
20141226_125546.jpg
20141226_130340.jpg

how about attaching pex to the rear of the dish, and key locations, then insulate.

you can use a electric car engine heater to keep everything warm:)

This could melt a avalanche:) and honestly dish should offer a kit for a upgrade, or a special dish.

When I first got dish I had nearly no snow ice issues. But some 10 years later I Was removing snow constantly:(

By this time I had relocated my primary dish to my deck which made snow removal easier:)

you guys have low electric rates. we pay 10 cents per kwh. we used to pay 6 cents. we had a 40% rate hike 4 years ago i believe. it made a good bit of difference on our electric bills. luckily i have gas furnace backup on both my heat pumps.

Supersoakers were on sale at Amazon for most of the month.

Seems a lot easier. :biggrin

Nice engineering work though.

The dish is on a pole on the ground. How about you just walk out there and brush it off with a glove. :bigok

That is possible, BUT the dish is on the leeward side of the home on top of the highest point in the county. As such the drifts back there are usually waist deep, so that means suiting up with coat, boots and gloves, then cleaning the snow off of my pants vs throwing a switch... I like the switch idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts