Few Questions from a potential D* subscriber

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

thefourlams

Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
First let me say that this my first time posting on this forum. I just got digital cabel w/HD installed from our local cable service in Baltimore. Prior to that I had standard basic cable. I think the digital channels (above 100) look pretty good, but my basic channels (below 100) look horrible. In fact they looked better when I had standard analog cable. With that said, I have a few questions about D* service:

1. I know that all stations are 100% digital, but does that include local channels as well?

2. If I get D* will all my channels have the same PQ as what my digital cable has for the channels above 100?

3. How would you compare cable companies PQ vs D* PQ? Even though D* is all digital, does that really equate to a better PQ?

4. Last, will the HD channels that D* offers have a better PQ than what the cable companies provide? Although they look great compared to everything else, they do not have that WOW factor like they do in the store. Also, I had some OTA local HD on my set it look amazing, but the cable company does not have that amazing look. They do not offer local HD on my local cable yet, but they have movie channels and ESPN.

As you can see, my main concern is PQ. I spent a good deal of money on my TV (Hitachi 60V500) and I want to get the best out of it. Thanks for taking the time to help a newbie out!!!

Your PQ will not look much if any better than your 100 and up channels,and yes any channel coming through a D* reciever will be digital.

IMO.. After just leaving Dish Network, Direct tv does have a better quality Picture, less compression would be the reason for that.

Being all Digital DOES NOT mean that the channels will look better to you or to me for that matter. HD channels through cable run at a higher bandwith than Satelite so technically on paper they would be superior. But just by watching you wouldn't be able to tell the difference they would both have enough bandwith they would look great.

So in my opinion if you get a good deal with you Cable co. and you get enough HD channels I would stay. That is not a biased opinion I am currently happy with D* and don't plan on leaving.

It's really hard to say if SD content would look better on your tv through D* without knowing how good your current cable quality is. Direct tv is launching a new and bigger satelite around May 2 so there will be more HD channels and possibly better PQ on our standard channels because of some free space.

"I think the digital channels (above 100) look pretty good, but my basic channels (below 100) look horrible. In fact they looked better when I had standard analog cable."
~Just to point out a fact here, your channels under 100 do not change at all, they are still analog, and they can't look any worse, inless you got a new big screen TV with the new cable service, or you wired your set-up wrong.

"1. I know that all stations are 100% digital, but does that include local channels as well?"
~ Yes, as said above. but the local feed comes to D* or E* in the analog form, and they upgrade it.

"2. If I get D* will all my channels have the same PQ as what my digital cable has for the channels above 100?"
~yes for the most part, if you plan on viewing them on a big screen they may look a bad. but on a small TV they will look great.

"3. How would you compare cable companies PQ vs D* PQ? Even though D* is all digital, does that really equate to a better PQ?"
~All cable companies are different, some have terrible PQ and some have great PQ.

"4. Last, will the HD channels that D* offers have a better PQ than what the cable companies provide? Although they look great compared to everything else, they do not have that WOW factor like they do in the store. Also, I had some OTA local HD on my set it look amazing, but the cable company does not have that amazing look. They do not offer local HD on my local cable yet, but they have movie channels and ESPN."
~Again some cableco's do HD really bad and some do it well.
I would almost definetly switch to D* if your cableco doesn't have any digital locals. but you MUST check with all of your locals to see if and when they broadcast in digital/HD OTA.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)