Finally, a Blu-Ray movie review that is positive!

Thank god for CGI

"Note:The only Blu-Ray DVD player on the market at the time of this review is the Samsung BD-P1000. Apparently an error crept into the design, and a noise reduction algorithm on one of the chips was turned on which creates a softer picture. As yet there is no fix for this, or even an official announcement from Samsung."

Strange note they slapped on this review.

Last edited:
Hey, you will be able to buy a BluRay player for $499 in just 3 months -- it is called a PS3!:D
Kidding aside, if they can get Stealth right why can they not get the rest right?:confused:

Last edited:
JoeSp said:
Hey, you will be able to buy a BluRay player for $499 in just 3 months -- it is called a PS3!:D
Kidding aside, if they can get Stealth right why can they not get the rest right?:confused:

Im not really sure. My guess is that the movie is heavy computer graphics which seem to be easier to handle when making the transfer. Even with HD DVD those are the movies that tend to look the most spectacular.

JoeSp said:

From what I read the 499.00 verison wont be able to play BD movies. So if its true that meas 599.00. Still cheaper than 999.00 though....

JoeSp said:
DVDTalk has a very positive review on Stealth in the Blu-Ray format. For your viewing reading pleasure:

I hate to always sound so negative about Blur-ay; negativity honestly doesn't come naturally for me . . . but -

Sounds like Sony / MGM FINALLY came up with a decent transfer, too bad it's for a nearly unwatchable. I rented the 2-disc DVD version - which was also a decent transfer - and the movie is so ridiculous, I could barely make it through. I even enjoy mindless action movies, but there has to be some plot to make it interesting.

In some attempt at fairness - the WB releases for Blur-ay generally reviewed as some of the best quality available in BD. And the (rented) WB release of Dukes of Hazzard for HD DVD was the first rental in years that I couldn't make it through it - I even tried 3 different times to make it all the way through, but gave up in disgust. The HD DVD release is OK for audio & video quality - just the worst excuse of a movie made in some time. You can only put so much HD lipstick on a pig, and it still ends up just being a pig . . . :mad:

As for Blur-ay, DVDTalk's review of RoboCop - released AFTER Stealth - would seem to indicate Stealth was not the begining of a turn-around for BD:

Holy crap in a can, this disc looks horrible! I've written a couple of previous Blu-ray reviews where I'd called certain discs the worst High Definition image I'd ever seen, thinking HD couldn't possibly get any worse, but here Sony just keeps lowering the bar for the format. The Robocop Blu-ray is U-G-L-Y. And before you write in to chastise me that, "The movie is 20 years old. What'd you expect?" or "It was a low-budget movie. It can't look much better", save your breath. Those are Bullsh!t excuses and dead wrong. The problems with this disc all stem from the video transfer and the Blu-ray authoring. Robocop is not supposed to look like this. No movie is supposed to look like this. This Blu-ray release is an embarrassment. The people responsible for it should hang their heads in shame and never work in the industry again.

Ouch! "Sony just keeps lowering the bar for the format". :rolleyes:

You would think Robocop would look fabulous in HD since it looked quite good on Showtime and Voom when it was aired on these channels. This just point to more evidence that BR is not able/capable to compete against HD DVD in the PQ department. Sony needs to come out with their own hardware. I am surprised that they haven't so far. Also, who in their right mind will buy a $999 player when you can have a better or equal quality for $499. Tell me. Do Sony think consumers are stupid or will just buy it because it is BR??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sean Mota said:
Do Sony think consumers are stupid or will just buy it because it is BR??? :confused: :confused: :confused:
I think they are just betting all their money on PS3. Which is a very dangerous bet and it can backfire.

Paradox-SJ -- the $499 will play BluRay movies thru the componet ports. Back in June Sony got the movie studios to go with allowing the HD content to pass thru the componet so you would be able to view BluRay movies in 1080i with the lower priced product. However, they must either get the 2 sided disc out (I have read that will be after the holidays) or they must use a better compression then MPEG2 (I read this will not happen until early 2007).

On another note, PCMAG.com had a review on BluRay in which they meantion that the BluRay players will be able to record in HD. I do not remember reading this anywhere else. Has anyone else read this? If so, this would explain the $999 price tag.

I guess people really do read DVD reviews!

CochiseGuy said:
As for Blur-ay, DVDTalk's review of RoboCop - released AFTER Stealth - would seem to indicate Stealth was not the begining of a turn-around for BD:

Holy crap in a can, this disc looks horrible! I've written a couple of previous Blu-ray reviews where I'd called certain discs the worst High Definition image I'd ever seen, thinking HD couldn't possibly get any worse, but here Sony just keeps lowering the bar for the format. The Robocop Blu-ray is U-G-L-Y. And before you write in to chastise me that, "The movie is 20 years old. What'd you expect?" or "It was a low-budget movie. It can't look much better", save your breath. Those are Bullsh!t excuses and dead wrong. The problems with this disc all stem from the video transfer and the Blu-ray authoring. Robocop is not supposed to look like this. No movie is supposed to look like this. This Blu-ray release is an embarrassment. The people responsible for it should hang their heads in shame and never work in the industry again.

Maybe someone in the BDA email the review to Sony? :p

According to DigitalBits.com, Sony announced today they are pulling the release of RoboCop:

Also today, just a little Blu-ray-related FYI: Sony has informed us that because the distribution of MGM titles has moved to 20th Century Fox, they'll no longer be releasing the Blu-ray Disc version of RoboCop. It's been pulled from their schedule. Look for it to be rescheduled for release by Fox later this year, once Fox officially announces their first Blu-ray Disc releases.

"Now that distribution of MGM titles has moved to 20th Century Fox"?????:confused: That happened months ago, and RoboCop was due out next Tuesday. :eureka Glad they finally figured it out . . . .

It's funny having read that BluRay would have a big advantage over HD in quality because BR uses MPEG2 while HD uses MPEG4. The claim was that the compression engineers are more comfortable with MPEG2 and would have to spend a lot of time (and make plenty of errors) getting to the same level with MPEG4. Out of the chute, BluRay was supposed to have a huge advantage.
Of course, this was before any product was shipping. Seems from most reviews I have read, including the latest Warner Bros. releases on both formats, HD has a much better picture quality. 'Training Day' displayed a big difference, 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' and 'Rumor Has It...' , not as much, but still noticable.
http://www.highdefdigest.com/feature_blurayvshddvd_firstcomparison.html
I think think this is the only accurate way to test the formats, head to head with A/B testing.

jgantert said:
Good Night and Good Luck also got rave reviews for BR. http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/goodnightandgoodluck.html
Just to update, the same website reviewed the same movie on HD DVD, and found both to be nearly identical PQ (ie: both exceptional).

Big difference in the discs tho:
BR 25GB MPEG2 DD5.1
HD DVD 15GB VC1 DD+

Pretty cool how HD DVD can make a reference title just with 15GB. Whoever encoded that one should be proud! :cool:

-John

Netflix HD DVD 's

Pioneer Elite BR Mailing list?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)