Finally found a great installer

Status
Please reply by conversation.

igator99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
He was a real pro and spent two hours finding just the right spot. My 119 problem is solved. Tipped the man and thank him very much. Anyone on the Northshore of Lake Ponchartrain looking for someone good and reasonable PM me.:)

He was a real pro and spent two hours finding just the right spot. My 119 problem is solved. Tipped the man and thank him very much. Anyone on the Northshore of Lake Ponchartrain looking for someone good and reasonable PM me.:)

:up Did you find out what was wrong with the original install?

:up Did you find out what was wrong with the original install?

Yes a move about three feet to the east did the trick. He was awesome and worked so hard in several locations. Thanks to everyone for the advice and input.:)

Yes a move about three feet to the east did the trick. He was awesome and worked so hard in several locations. Thanks to everyone for the advice and input.:)

So it was los issues then, like you thought.

So it was los issues then, like you thought.

Yes I thought it was a pine tree high up waving in front of the dish. Frankly I was sick of messing with it and I'm not a pro. The guy worked hard. He replaced the dish twice. At first he went in front of the original install which I didn't understand and that didn't work. I said what about here to avoid that tree and offered to help him. He didn't know a lot about a lot DirecTV things like which transponders were my locals etc... but he was the hardest working installer I've seen. If you are in the NOLA area I highly recommend them.

I have the same problem as you igator- lost 119 altogether when the leaves bloomed (my instal was in Jan of this year during the winter). Did you contract separately to get this done or is this a D* follow up? I have had 2 visits after the original instal and they are yet to look for another spot. One thing I noticed on all of these visits is that no one is using a compass. I see your installer was looking for spots by positioning the dish and reading the signal. Why don't they take readings with a compass to get a candidate site first?

I have the same problem as you igator- lost 119 altogether when the leaves bloomed (my instal was in Jan of this year during the winter). Did you contract separately to get this done or is this a D* follow up? I have had 2 visits after the original instal and they are yet to look for another spot. One thing I noticed on all of these visits is that no one is using a compass. I see your installer was looking for spots by positioning the dish and reading the signal. Why don't they take readings with a compass to get a candidate site first?

Sounds like you have the same type of installers of D* I have in my area. If you look at it from their perspective it makes since. They get paid by the job. If they have plenty of jobs lined up they will just move on to something easier. They also get paid a small fee for simply showing up. I called a local company.

The guy pulled out a compass only once and moved the dish forward from where I put it which I didn't understand. That didn't work so I suggested a few feet to the east and I offered to help and BOOM! 119 was screaming in at 95 plus. Learn as much as you can from this board because although the guy was very hard working he lacked a lot of basic knowledge. I have a huge tree problem that sent the Bruister & Ass people running. They all said it was impossible yet I'm getting 99, 103, 101, 110 and 119 all at 90 plus signal.

I did the original install myself. I used a compass to find azmuith 215 (I believe that is required of the 5 lnb). Then I planted to pole and put up the dish. Next I found 101 at 90 plus and after checking the signal meter from a receiver I saw I also had 110 at 90 plus. I tilted the dish like instructed by the video and found 119 at 80 plus which was fine for me then Spring bloomed and 119 was breaking up. I never used a meter. I used a SD receiver and a small TV. My HD locals came out about two weeks later and boom 99 was there. I never touched the dither mechanism like the solid signal video showed.

You never mentioned if it was on a pole or on the house. Not knowing your situation I would suggest going east a bit to get out of the way of that blooming tree. Keep posting on here and there many kind people that will help you out.

Because the paths to the satellite are virtually parallel lines, if you move a dish three feet then you clear the object that had been blocking the signal by no more than three feet, and probably less. How long before tree growth blocks the dish again?

Because the paths to the satellite are virtually parallel lines, if you move a dish three feet then you clear the object that had been blocking the signal by no more than three feet, and probably less. How long before tree growth blocks the dish again?

Probably a few years. It was a branch and not the tree itself that was waving in front of the signal. Hurricane season is just around the corner. :D

After ya do a few of these the compass is an aid . Since you are out in the sun consider that if it is morning, point your left hand at the sun and know you are facing south. 101 is in the south west from here in MD and about due south from Denver. Even using a compass for the close ones is tricky because of local magnetic deviation. Eventually a meter is the next tool. If the mast is not plumb it will be a long day.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

99 degree satellite...

Most important satellite?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)