Finally getting a Dish DVR on Saturday. Do I need a phone jack nearby?

dkh7m

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2007
I don't have a phone jack anywhere in my living room, so I'm thinking of getting one of those RCA phone extenders. But the CSR didn't mention that a phone jack was required. Should I put a jack in there, or is it unnecessary? I never order PPVs or anything like that.

I don't have a phone jack anywhere in my living room, so I'm thinking of getting one of those RCA phone extenders. But the CSR didn't mention that a phone jack was required. Should I put a jack in there, or is it unnecessary? I never order PPVs or anything like that.

If your getting a dual tuner DVR you'll be charged an extra $5 a month if you don't connect a phone line, and or ethernet connection if the receiver is a Vip622 or 722.

If you are getting one of the dual tunner boxes you will want to plug in the phone line.

If you do not have one near buy then get a DIGITAL wireless phone jack. Phonex is the best. If you are looking at RCA make sure it is the DIGITAL version. They still make an analog version that is less expensive but it will not work properly.

I was so glad when I built my house I put 2 RG6 runs and 2 ethernet runs to every location where I thought I might want a computer or TV. That was pretty much at least 2 places in every room. That made it easy to hook up my 722 and send the signal to TV2. I also could easily hook up a phone line and I can hook up to my network too.

I also had run some extra RG6 in order to send audio/video from my main HD TV location in the family room to my office. That came in handy for the OTA antenna in my attic. I think builders should go ahead and run plenty of cable in new houses. Unfortunately, that doesn't help existing houses and they probably won't do it so they can make a few extra bucks.

(you should see my patch panels with F connectors and RJ45's)

I was so glad when I built my house I put 2 RG6 runs and 2 ethernet runs to every location where I thought I might want a computer or TV. That was pretty much at least 2 places in every room. That made it easy to hook up my 722 and send the signal to TV2. I also could easily hook up a phone line and I can hook up to my network too.

I also had run some extra RG6 in order to send audio/video from my main HD TV location in the family room to my office. That came in handy for the OTA antenna in my attic. I think builders should go ahead and run plenty of cable in new houses. Unfortunately, that doesn't help existing houses and they probably won't do it so they can make a few extra bucks.

(you should see my patch panels with F connectors and RJ45's)

I agree with your idea but with new houses it will never be done. Unless the homeowner goes in and does it before the drywall goes up you dont see this. The home builders are concerned with one thing and thats profit. Thus the cheapest wire, connectors, wallplates, etc are used. Forgot extra anything. I dont know how many new houses I installed in where there were like 3 phone jacks in the whole 2500 sq ft home and no way to run a phone line. It is also a problem when you start to swap out connectors and wallplates and the customers sees this. Had one say this is a new house, those are fine. Didnt have the heart to tell them how cheap they were nor how the connectors were just thrown on.

I agree with your idea but with new houses it will never be done. Unless the homeowner goes in and does it before the drywall goes up you dont see this. The home builders are concerned with one thing and thats profit. Thus the cheapest wire, connectors, wallplates, etc are used. Forgot extra anything. I dont know how many new houses I installed in where there were like 3 phone jacks in the whole 2500 sq ft home and no way to run a phone line. It is also a problem when you start to swap out connectors and wallplates and the customers sees this. Had one say this is a new house, those are fine. Didnt have the heart to tell them how cheap they were nor how the connectors were just thrown on.

I hear you. Fortunately, I had my house built and I own an electronics business. I got all of my cable, connectors, and patch cables free and ran them myself. I probably have 2-3 miles of RG6 and CAT5 running in my house. :eek: I was pulling 2 at a time and the electricians let me use their drill to put my holes in the studs. That was a big job to do by myself.

I do enjoy when installers come since they appreciate my work. :D Well except for the cable guy who said we are gonna need some amplifiers to hook up all those F connectors. Like I want them all connected. :rolleyes:

Anyone know how "dish" determines if the phone connection is made to the receiver? If via the internet (via ethernet) I can understand how ;but the phone line - does the receiver call the dishnetwork every so often ?

Anyone know how "dish" determines if the phone connection is made to the receiver? If via the internet (via ethernet) I can understand how ;but the phone line - does the receiver call the dishnetwork every so often ?

Yes, it phones home; once a month, I believe.

I would plug in a phone line to the rec. as you might get charged the $5 monthly fee. It can't hurt to go along with the phone line request.

Of course they didn't mention it. They don't want to jeperodize the sale by actually disclosing all the fees with the customer. :rolleyes: They just expect us to clean up their mess when we get to the job. Sorry, just a bit bitter. :) Anyway, yes, it is important to have a phone line connected, even if you don't buy PPV. If you don't, they charge you and additional $5 a month for not having it connected.

The satellite installers don't mess with phone lines, as I found out, but mine were nice enough to run a wire I provided down the wall with their cable. I then made the necessary connections later which took less then 30 minutes. I had to run a temporary line to the receiver at first just so it could properly be set up. They tried setting it up without the phone line but could not get the receiver recognized or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts