Finally lost my distant locals

John W

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Planet Earth
Since '97 I had Miami, New York, Chicago and Los Angeles locals. This afternoon they finally shut them down. Kinda sucks but then with all the DVR's I really don't need them. Just can't make up for something if I forget to record on east coast

Lost my east coast distant locals about 2 weeks ago or so. Submitted waiver requests and finally got FOX back, but ABC and CBS were denied (quickly too, I might add) and NBC is still pending. I'd had them for 5-6 years and it was great for getting left coast football and network programming 3 hours early.

dodge said:
Do you guys have any Idea why you lost them??
I have New York
Los Angelos and
Chicago, I am worried now!!!
Yeah - how did you qualify for them in the first place? And why are they gone?

Did you get the dreaded "pick your poison" postcard?

Were you C-Band upgraded customers?

I recently moved to Phoenix. Didn't have distants when I moved. Qualified for FOX and CBS because they're O&O. Does this mean anybody in NY or LA can also get distants?

I had "moved" to a little town in Southeast Georgia and qualified for the networks. A few months ago I had to have some work done on my receiver and they had to send a tech out so I had to "move" back home. With the guide on my OTA locals I really don't use the distants much but I am sure I will miss them once in a while. It was really nice to pick up football games from different markets. My wife will really miss the NY stations because she is a big Jets fan and we could pick up all their games.

Distant nets

I have had distant nets since 1997, no dish 500 then no locals other than ny or la, I have been grandfathered in It took awhile to qualify for all of them but eventually I got all the nets

I've had the distant nets ever since E* made them available. A few months ago, I received a letter from E* saying FOX distant nets were going away due to price increases by the distants. I went online, filed for a waiver and about a month later, it was granted. A few weeks ago, I received another letter saying my local nets had asked that carriage of the distant nets be stopped and that I could file for a waiver, if I wanted to. So I did. ABC and CBS NYC distant nets were denied within a week. NBC out of NY is still in pending status...

E* filed the waiver requests for me but I don't think I will re-sub even if I get them. Paying a buck and a half each month, I really should try to lower that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts