Finding a wireless ISP

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

n1wbd

Silent Key - RIP 1/2/2012
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Grafton,NH
Hi folks, can anyone recommend a website that has CURRENT info on where to find a wireless ISP in my area most isp locator sites has very old info. I don't want satellite internet due to costs.

Thanks
Bob Grafton NH

Bob,

See if you can find a wholesale ISP or microwave provider in your area. They may offer microwave WISP service. That's how I found a WISP in Blaine. As it turns out I can't use them because of trees. Remember if you need a directional antenna, your look angle for a WISP is probably going to be about "1".

After I found the company, I also noticed that they have little signs on fence posts in my area. So it may be worthwhile to just drive around in your area.

A WISP may or may not be cheaper than satellite. I pay about $45 for Clearwire in Seattle. I pay about $90 for HughesNet in Blaine. The WISP in Blaine wants $100.

HTH

The local phone book may be your best bet, because I know that Directory isn't very current. Unfortunately, there is no single agency that oversees or represets WISPs on a national level so it's hard to find accurate information.

Another good suggestion is what bradleys said, and that would be to drive around your area looking for signs or antennas/dishes on homes that look like they may be for a WISP.

Unfortunately there is no cell service in Grafton,NH I would have to drive at least 5 miles either direction of Grafton to get a mediocre signal that may or may not work.

A local Cell Phone Provider is my Wireless IP...

They don't load the satellite time so heavy, and if you buy from me I get a commission.

Upfront cost is outrageous. $299 for equipment?? Wildblue and Hughesnet is much less. But still not worth it to me. I'll hold out for DSL or WISP.

Cheaper is not always better. But you are correct that DSL or WISP will perform better. Satellite is really for those that have no hope of getting such service.
Low population density, such as here in eastern Maine, will delay entry of DSL/WISP for a long time.

Best Regards, Eric

Thanks for the info folks I guess unfortunately the closest WISP is in Lebanon NH about 25 miles away and they don't cover Grafton. They was talk of a company here in Grafton that was going to start a WISP within a month or so but have'nt been able to find any info on them. Oh well I'll just have to keep dreaming.

WIFI has a 22 kilometer range while WiMAX can support 30 to 50 kilometers distance.

Bob,

I note your post that the $299 for setup charge for satellite is a problem.

Your setup charge for a WISP may not be cheaper.

For example, the WISP I've been looking at in Blaine charges $374 for setup.

That price doesn't include a tower at $35 per foot (if needed).

FWIW

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts