ISP?

Discussion in 'Broadband Internet' started by danristheman, Oct 1, 2018.

1. danristheman

danristheman Topic Starter SatelliteGuys Pro

How does an ISP control your uplink and downlink speed? This is more of a tech question not an fta question.

2. Magic Static

Magic Static FTA Geek
    Staff Member HERE TO HELP YOU! Lifetime Supporter

They log onto your modem and set the speed.

3. wallyhts

wallyhts SatelliteGuys Pro
    HERE TO HELP YOU! Lifetime Supporter

Yep most likely TR-069 and initial config download when Vdsl/cable/FTTH syncs up

What are you tying to do?

4. danristheman

Frontier has a lower package I was going for. I got a used frontier router/modem for free. Can swap it out?

5. NYDutch

NYDutch SatelliteGuys Pro
    Pub Member / Supporter

You can likely swap them if the modem is compatible with the current software level and Frontier allows customer owned modems. But when you have them activate it on your account, the speed will be set to whatever your subscription calls for. Unless Frontier is charging a rental fee for their modem, there's probably no advantage to switching.

6. wallyhts

wallyhts SatelliteGuys Pro
    HERE TO HELP YOU! Lifetime Supporter

What’s the model # of modem?

What speed is the package you want to get?

I’m just assuming but is your service VDSL2?

7. danristheman

I got this one a while back it says frontier on it. Its close to DSL speed. Its over the phone line in my area. What is VDSL2?
    Actiontec MI424WR

8. EarDemon

EarDemon SatelliteGuys Pro

I'm not familiar with DSL, but I would assume its the same way as with cable. When you change your speed tier the CSR that you are talking to pushes a new config file to your modem, then remotely reboots the modem. As the modem comes back online it reads the config file and that's where the max downstream and max upstream rates are defined. If you're downgrading service, there should be no reason to have to get a new modem.

9. KE4EST

KE4EST SatelliteGuys Is My Second Home
    Staff Member HERE TO HELP YOU!

Dan does Frontier in your area charge for the modem and/or a monthly fee? They do not here. You just pay a one time service install fee and they provide a modem. I just hope you have better luck there with Frontier. They have a pretty bad name as it is, but they are very bad in this area. Most have cable, fiber, or one of the wireless ISP's that are fed with fiber. Verizon was the first to offer "High Speed" in this area via DSL, then sold to Frontier, so a lot of people had it. Now that there are more options, most have abandoned Frontiers DSL. They simply will not upgrade anything and are just siphoning what money they can after they bought it from Verizon. There are rumors that they won't be around in a couple more years in this area. Their DSL and phone service is just so laughable, and most people have got rid of home phones or went to VoIP through other means.
    I know several people that have actually went to Satellite internet, where Frontier DSL is their only other option. They went into it knowing the limitations, but at least it is reliable.

Separate names with a comma.

More...