ISP?

danristheman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
85w
How does an ISP control your uplink and downlink speed? This is more of a tech question not an fta question.

Yep most likely TR-069 and initial config download when Vdsl/cable/FTTH syncs up

What are you tying to do?

Frontier has a lower package I was going for. I got a used frontier router/modem for free. Can swap it out?

You can likely swap them if the modem is compatible with the current software level and Frontier allows customer owned modems. But when you have them activate it on your account, the speed will be set to whatever your subscription calls for. Unless Frontier is charging a rental fee for their modem, there's probably no advantage to switching.

Frontier has a lower package I was going for. I got a used frontier router/modem for free. Can swap it out?

What’s the model # of modem?

What speed is the package you want to get?

I’m just assuming but is your service VDSL2?

I got this one a while back it says frontier on it. Its close to DSL speed. Its over the phone line in my area. What is VDSL2?
Actiontec MI424WR

I'm not familiar with DSL, but I would assume its the same way as with cable. When you change your speed tier the CSR that you are talking to pushes a new config file to your modem, then remotely reboots the modem. As the modem comes back online it reads the config file and that's where the max downstream and max upstream rates are defined. If you're downgrading service, there should be no reason to have to get a new modem.

Dan does Frontier in your area charge for the modem and/or a monthly fee? They do not here. You just pay a one time service install fee and they provide a modem. I just hope you have better luck there with Frontier. They have a pretty bad name as it is, but they are very bad in this area. Most have cable, fiber, or one of the wireless ISP's that are fed with fiber. Verizon was the first to offer "High Speed" in this area via DSL, then sold to Frontier, so a lot of people had it. Now that there are more options, most have abandoned Frontiers DSL. They simply will not upgrade anything and are just siphoning what money they can after they bought it from Verizon. There are rumors that they won't be around in a couple more years in this area. Their DSL and phone service is just so laughable, and most people have got rid of home phones or went to VoIP through other means.
I know several people that have actually went to Satellite internet, where Frontier DSL is their only other option. They went into it knowing the limitations, but at least it is reliable.

As a former employee of Frontier, i can tell you ANYTHING would be better than Frontier DSL.
Slow speeds, outages thatthat last for days and poor support are their
norm

Reactions: TheKrell
Welcome to SatelliteGuys!!!
Yep, like I said last fall in the post above. I know a few people that went with Satellite Internet over Frontier DSL.(These are people in the sticks that can't get Fiber or Cable) They knew it would cost more a month and have Strict Data Caps. They also knew it was reliable and always worked, unless a bad storm. Frontier around here will go down and it can take weeks to get service restored, and when it is it is very crappy! Most have went to Fiber though, so they won't be around here much longer.

They log onto your modem and set the speed.
More commonly, the provider will configure their routers with "bandwidth shaping" to monitor and regulate your speed.

This is also how they give you a "burst of speed" for a few seconds and then settle down to some fraction of your published rate over the long haul. It also allows them to open the floodgates when you're running a speed test.

More commonly, the provider will configure their routers with "bandwidth shaping" to monitor and regulate your speed.

This is also how they give you a "burst of speed" for a few seconds and then settle down to some fraction of your published rate over the long haul. It also allows them to open the floodgates when you're running a speed test.
I've never been provided a router from an ISP. Always had to provide my own. A modem however they always provide and won't let me use my own.

I've never been provided a router from an ISP.
I'm speaking of the routers and switchgear upstream of your modem/muxdem, not the routers in customer's homes.

Most residential cable broadband setups that use DOCSIS standards allow you to use an owned modem. I have never leased/rented a DOCSIS modem in my residential setup. DSL and FTTH may be significantly less flexible.

At work I have Comcast with static IP addresses and they require that you use their gateway for that.

I'm speaking of the routers and switchgear upstream of your modem/muxdem, not the routers in customer's homes.

Most residential cable broadband setups that use DOCSIS standards allow you to use an owned modem. I have never leased/rented a DOCSIS modem in my residential setup. DSL and FTTH may be significantly less flexible.

At work I have Comcast with static IP addresses and they require that you use their gateway for that.
You truly don't know

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

As a former employee of Frontier, i can tell you ANYTHING would be better than Frontier DSL.
Slow speeds, outages thatthat last for days and poor support are their
norm

Sorry to bump an old thread.

Sounds like CenturyLink here, now

The electric co-op is wiring the entire county for FTTx, and they have nearly 75% of the county covered.

Practically anywhere there is fiber, everyone has dropped CenturyLinks slow DSL.

What is bad though is they’ve basically stopped support for all areas even the 1/4 of the county left where that’s currently the only option.

Once fiber is everywhere I expect them to probably just let what is left of their system rot completely.

I have had fiber nearly a year, quite the upgrade, 1Gbps/1Gbps for $79 per month, about $10 more than I paid to CenturyLink for 4.0Mbps/512Kbps DSL.

I figure they’ll be completely out of here once the co-op completes this fiber build.

I am not sure if the State Public Service Commission can force them to keep the copper network on for the older people that just have telephone service.

I am not sure if the State Public Service Commission can force them to keep the copper network on for the older people that just have telephone service.
It is either that or provide them with a low-cost wireless alternative. Franchise agreements typically demand some level of service availability.