finishing my basement... and I want HD!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

xxmattnxx

Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
hey!

long time reader, but first time poster. I've had DTV for some time now, but with the basement being finished in the near future, I wanted to go with HD. So my question is.... of course, whats the best route to go? We have not put up the drywall yet so I was thinking it might be a good time to have them come in and install the cabling and such before we do for ease of installation.

Currently we just have the basic round dish, so I am expecting a bigger dish. I live in SLC, UT where we have HD locals and I wasnt sure If I'd need the 5lnb or not.

Just basicly, since this is my first HD installation I'd like to get any suggestions or feedback in advance. Should I go through DTV or shall I go through an independant.......

Thanks in advance, and any suggestions are welcomed.

matt

hey!

long time reader, but first time poster. I've had DTV for some time now, but with the basement being finished in the near future, I wanted to go with HD. So my question is.... of course, whats the best route to go? We have not put up the drywall yet so I was thinking it might be a good time to have them come in and install the cabling and such before we do for ease of installation.

Currently we just have the basic round dish, so I am expecting a bigger dish. I live in SLC, UT where we have HD locals and I wasnt sure If I'd need the 5lnb or not.

Just basicly, since this is my first HD installation I'd like to get any suggestions or feedback in advance. Should I go through DTV or shall I go through an independant.......

Thanks in advance, and any suggestions are welcomed.

matt
Yes, you will need the 5LNB to get HDLIL and upcoming mega release of HD channels.

I would imagine that cabling through open framed room would be easier than fishing through/behind drywall, so good plan/timing there.

As for independent contractor vs. D* installer, going with D* will be cheaper (anywhere from Free to $45). Going with independent installer will likely give you more cabling options and maybe a better finished job. But again, when cabling while still roughed in should provide positive results no matter who you go with.

And :welcome to the forum

Yes, you will need the 5LNB to get HDLIL and upcoming mega release of HD channels.

I would imagine that cabling through open framed room would be easier than fishing through/behind drywall, so good plan/timing there.

As for independent contractor vs. D* installer, going with D* will be cheaper (anywhere from Free to $45). Going with independent installer will likely give you more cabling options and maybe a better finished job. But again, when cabling while still roughed in should provide positive results no matter who you go with.

And :welcome to the forum

Thanks for the welcome :)

Now just to make sure I'm doing the right thing... the HD deal is like $99 with a two year commitment that includes the reciever and the dish right? my other question was the fact the website states 9.99 HD access, do they mean access to the HD pacakge or is this a standard fee just for having HD equip....

Have the four cables from the dish go to a common location. Then distribute from there to the other rooms. This is where you'd put an additional multiswitch if/when needed. I would also run a cable for an antenna to that location. Then at the HDTV location I'd run at least three cables (2 for the DVR and one for antenna). You might consider a couple of spare in case you want to add another DVR. Of course, with the new SWM technology, you won't need that many cables. However, too many now is better than having to add anything later.

You should also consider a couple of Cat5e/Cat6 cables for networking.

That $9.99 is for HD package access.

Have the four cables from the dish go to a common location. Then distribute from there to the other rooms. This is where you'd put an additional multiswitch if/when needed. I would also run a cable for an antenna to that location. Then at the HDTV location I'd run at least three cables (2 for the DVR and one for antenna). You might consider a couple of spare in case you want to add another DVR. Of course, with the new SWM technology, you won't need that many cables. However, too many now is better than having to add anything later.

Wow I didn't even think of the networking possibilities, but it makes sense. I mean, if your going to be finishing a new basement, why not consider all possibilities.....

Yeah, you have to consider everything. Heck, even though it isn't needed, you might want to run a phone line to that location as well.

And, don't forget about running speaker wire to where your 5.1 speakers will be located. There's a lot to think about.

Wow I didn't even think of the networking possibilities, but it makes sense. I mean, if your going to be finishing a new basement, why not consider all possibilities.....

Yeah, you have to consider everything. Heck, even though it isn't needed, you might want to run a phone line to that location as well.

And, don't forget about running speaker wire to where your 5.1 speakers will be located. There's a lot to think about.

At this point I would definatly run ethernet down that wall and back to your central location.
The HR20 is currently working with ethernet ability, for d/l movies over the internet.

Jimbo

You should definitely setup an hd projector type display while you have this chance.

my other question was the fact the website states 9.99 HD access, do they mean access to the HD pacakge or is this a standard fee just for having HD equip....

The easiest way to think of it is that you pay for your level of channels (Choice, Plus, Premier, etc) and any channel in that package that is available in HD would be presented for you if you also pay the HD Access Fee. You would also get DiscoveryHD Theater, HDNet, HDNet Movies, etc...channels that have no SD equivalent.

I will answer your cabling question from experience with finishing my basement as a theater room four years ago.

I new I was going to get HD, and have an off air antennae, but did not know I was going to have a HDDVR in the future. I also had an XBOX at the time that was connected to my home network, so I knew I was going to run a Cat5 line.

I did all the cabling myself. I used to be an electrician, so it was no big deal for me. In my situation, I had the Cat5 line, two RG6 lines (one for the antennae, and one for the Directv). And I also had speaker lines for my surround speakers.

My mistake was I did not run an extra RG6 line. So the other day when I had my HR20 (HDDVR) installed, I had to run another line, and now that it is all finished it is harder to run. I also ran another Cat5 line, since the HR20 is going to be networked in the near future. I do not have the XBOX anymore, so I had an available Cat5 for the HR20, but with home media becoming more and more dependent on the internet, I ran another one anyway.

So my advice is this. Hire a contractor to run the lines for you. You will probably pay $300-$400 for the labor plus the cost of parts, but it will look nice, and he can pull Cat5 and speaker lines if you want, whereas Directv will only pull the RG6 lines for their satellite. Plus as mentioned before, the independant contractor will do a nicer job.

Also, pull four RG6 Lines, and at least two Cat5 lines. As I have experienced, just two RG6 lines, and one Cat5 line is not enough. Always pull one more than you think you will need!

You have the walls open run everything you can think of plus run a peice of rope incase you need to pull another cable in the future. If you have open you should not need a contractor. You can buy cat5 cables with heads on them already and the DTV will put heads on the RG6 cable.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)