This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

FIOS and UPS

Bob Haller

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 11, 2003
pittsburgh pa
Got hammered here by power surges today Somehow crashed router and managed to wipe IP addresses too First troubles since install. Messed up dinner oven has electronic control surgere did it in twice...

Upon 2nd call I casulally mentioned I will put a big UPS in the basement for the power supply and router power supply. The nice CSR said cant use a UPS for the fios power supply, wouldnt work. I had mentioned a UPS when it was first installed since the built in battery is good only for 8 hours, for phone only.

does anyone know any details? is it a matter of the type of supply? square wave details etc? i asked the rep and decided she didnt know why, just that it wouldnt work.

I have thought about going to voage for my second line a business one but am concerned in a power failure we could lose all phone service. a few years ago we lost all power for over 3 days, so it can happen.

any ideas?

i would be interested in this as well. i have had many of power outages and have not had what you described.

I have a UPS hooked up to my FiOS power supply and it works just fine. I even tested it out with my generator.

I have my router and PAP2 VoIP adapter on a UPS. I initially also had my FiOS power supply on the same UPS and was running it without issue. I however figured that I needed maximum life out of all 3 devices in order to keep phones working in case of an outage, so I pulled the FiOS power supply from the battery backup side of the outlets and put it on the surge only side.

There is no electrical or technical reason why the FiOS power supply can't be hooked up with a traditional UPS. You'd be better off with just using a larger battery instead of the Power Wheels size one they provide...you save doing the somewhat inefficient AC-DC-AC, then AC-DC conversions. But to keep everything easy it's not a problem.