Possible TEGNA Verizon FIOS contract dispute.

AntiMoz

Livin' the Dream
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 11, 2005
Western NY
From today's Buffalo News.

Oh, no. WGRZ-TV, the NBC affiliate that is already is off Dish because of a contract dispute between the station’s TV owner, Tegna, and the satellite provider, is in jeopardy of losing more potential viewers.
Verizon has sent a notice to Fios subscribers saying it is “working hard to come to a fair agreement with Tegna, the owner of WGRZ NBC (502 HD / 2 SD) before our current agreement expires at 5 p.m. on December 31, 2021. However, Tegna has proposed unreasonable price increases, starting with close to a 50% increase. In the past year, Tegna removed their stations from other video providers who would not agree to unreasonable price increases. Tegna may do the same with Fios.

“Verizon remains committed to giving customers the ability to watch these TV channels but simply cannot agree to Tegna's demands for such unreasonable price increases.”

A provider is required to tell its subscribers of a potential loss of a station when a contract is close to running out.

Tegna is already off Dish and has been for a while now. If FOIS cannot make a deal because of the demands being so high, who is next? It sounds like Tenga is really going to start losing a lot of their audience, unless a viewer can get it OTA.

I remember another TEGNA fios dispute a few years ago.. must have been a short term deal last time ...

Dec 2019 .I think ...

Tegna is already off Dish and has been for a while now. If FOIS cannot make a deal because of the demands being so high, who is next? It sounds like Tenga is really going to start losing a lot of their audience, unless a viewer can get it OTA.
Charlotte DMA here. We have not had an NBC affiliate here for about oh 10 weeks. Yeah, I missed a couple NASCAR Cup events, but other than that...I could not care less. NBC , in fact network TV doesn't have much to offer my tastes. NBC and the other alphabets can kiss my a...Rear.
Network TV is almost dead. The model is stuck in the 1950's. The FCC keeps it that way.
Local news is no longer needed because its easier to use the internet to get information.
I don't miss it

Doesn't NBC have the "big game" this year?

I would imaging a deal will be done before the "big game"

Similar happen years ago with D* and Nexstar. They came to a deal right before NFL season started ...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

So if your local NBC out due to a dispute(with Tegna ) i imagine users could still VIEW/watch the game in Universo (since that's parent NBC not local )

During the Nexstar D* dispute i was still able to view the 4K feed (world cup) and I think think the fox app still worked but don't remember... I remember i watched MLB all star game but don't remember if it was fox or mlb app ..

Oh no .

I checked WVEC website and only see a dish message . One would think they would have both dish and fios alert .

I also don't see a scroll banner on WVEC but I don't watch it very much.

Question does ABC app still work ? With fios or dish credentials?

In WNY, I'm assuming hardly anyone will notice there is no channel 2 on either Dish or Verizon. Between those two, I can name exactly one person who subscribes to them. With Dish not carrying MSG for the past 12 years and Verizon only having Fios in the snooty suburbs both of their market share is pretty low.

I have no idea if the Bills are going to make the playoffs or if they are mathematically eliminated at this point, but if any of their playoff games are on NBC or in some bizarre universe they make the Super Bowl, I'm guessing not many people will miss out.

In WNY, I'm assuming hardly anyone will notice there is no channel 2 on either Dish or Verizon. Between those two, I can name exactly one person who subscribes to them. With Dish not carrying MSG for the past 12 years and Verizon only having Fios in the snooty suburbs both of their market share is pretty low.

I have no idea if the Bills are going to make the playoffs or if they are mathematically eliminated at this point, but if any of their playoff games are on NBC or in some bizarre universe they make the Super Bowl, I'm guessing not many people will miss out.
DISH has a pretty good customer base in the rural areas of WNY and the lower income areas of the city and immediate suburbs. Its the cheapest of the linear TV alternatives.

As you said FIOS has good penetration north and south of the city in the more affluent suburbs. According to this Buffalo New article from December 2020, 60% of homes in WNY get their TV from cable (Specrum plus FIOS?), 25% from satellite and the remainder from OTA and srtreaming. So, Im thinking that the number of DISH and FIOS subs is not insignificant. High 10’s of thousands perhaps.

As for the Bills and NBC, the NFL and programming is available on the Peacock app if needed. Sub for a month and drop it should the Bills make the “big game”.

Cheers!

One of the things I use as a gauge is observing the Indian Reservations where there is no cable service is available. The vast majority of satellite dishes are DirecTV (and HughesNet). I’m not far from the Tonawanda Reservation and I frequently drive though the Cattaraugus Reservation on my way to Jamestown and Erie and the amount of modern Dish Network dishes in both locations WITH LNBs is far and few in between. Can’t speak for Tuscarora, haven’t been up there in years.

The guy that did my HughesNet installation is a Dish and DirecTV retailer as well and has been doing it for 20+ years. He primarily serves Chautauqua, Catt, Allegheny, Erie (PA), Warren, McKean & Potter counties, he told me the majority of his business is DirecTV installations, Dish Network serves as the low cost niche provider and skews heavily to the elderly.

I don’t think Verizon has Fios anywhere east of Transit Rd, besides their initial test bed in Boston.

And by the way, no one from the NFL goon squad is going to knock on your door and serve you papers typing the words ‘Super Bowl’ , you don’t have to call it by the generic name. Super Bowl, Super Bowl, Super Bowl. :)

Reactions: AntiMoz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)