Firmware Convert Motorola DSR-605

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

GigaHertz

Original poster
May 2, 2014
Over There
Howdy, I'm from Canada, I've been looking to see if anyone's been working on doing a firmware unlock on some of the Motorola Satellite Boxes to make them free to air, if not, I'm going to be sitting here with my JTAG and this here pile of Boxes to bring you a friendly file so you can point your dishes skyward for cheap, especially since these boxes are plentiful where I come from.

So far I've been informed that the 600 series shares the same firmware as the bigger commercial grade units and the HDD equipped ones, therefore I have a fair bit to work with

Disclaimer: My goal is not to *Steal* Paid service by ghosting serials, Merely only to set up the box FTA style (i.e like unlocking a cell phone and putting a custom OS on it Android Style).

So Far right now I've been looking at ways to trick the PVR function to run off a USB stick but I fear the front port is possibly USB 1.1

There might be a secret menu like on the Digital Cable box in the living room though but the same button combo doesn't work...

:welcome to the forum GHZ :)
Interesting project. I think to make it worth while you would have to some advantage over a cheap mini receiver that you can buy for less than $25 all day. I'm not familiar with that DSR-605, but if it had all the functions and be a DVBS2 receiver you would have something there.

Is this the highly sought after shaw direct 605 you have. These are in demand as they are no longer available but have component hd video output for those who cannot use hdmi. They also are compatible with the third sat, xKu band, which the 505 is not capable of receiving.

There is an old thread on the 401 star choice (now shaw direct):
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/198048-dsr401-project

These are DCII and not DVBS2 but it would be neat if they could be used for fta cband dcII as they are readily available (scrap)

These are really nice receivers. I've got two on my shaw sub. 8PSk /mpeg4 / dvbS2 capable. The Esata port on the rear was supposed to be for external PVR, but Shaw never implemented it before they quit making them.

Catamount

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts