Firmware update for the Sharp BD-HP20U specifically for "Jumper"

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Yeah. I rented Jumper on BD last week and it was unwatchable. They only had one available copy at the store so I returned it for the DVD. Found out about the upgrade on AVS Forums a little too late. Seems like many people are having trouble with this unit. Mine has been pretty good so far, but it seems strange that they would need to put out an upgrade just for one movie. Wierd.

I don't know if it worked, as I had already traded in the BD for a DVD copy, and was done watching it, when I found out about it. Yes, they were pretty quick to get the fix out. It was released on 6/9, one day before the BD release.

Don’t these studios and manufacturers at least pop the disk in a player and have their QA dept. watch the movie. This release a movie followed by release a firmware is getting old already. J6P or worst yet grandma six pack expects to just pop in a movie and watch. Ordering a firmware disk through the mail or burning a firmware upgrade to disk is just not an option for a lot of folks. Early adapter headaches are apart of new technology but we’re now fast approaching 3 years of BD being on the market and the better part of a decade with research and development and just to many problems continue to pop up. What gives???

Don’t these studios and manufacturers at least pop the disk in a player and have their QA dept. watch the movie. This release a movie followed by release a firmware is getting old already. J6P or worst yet grandma six pack expects to just pop in a movie and watch. Ordering a firmware disk through the mail or burning a firmware upgrade to disk is just not an option for a lot of folks. Early adapter headaches are apart of new technology but we’re now fast approaching 3 years of BD being on the market and the better part of a decade with research and development and just to many problems continue to pop up. What gives???

Everything in a lab always works. When it goes out on the market that's were you see all the bugs. Just like all the Cable companies, Verizon,etc.... Everytime a new products comes out, yeah it works when they beta test it but when it goes out into the field you have problems. The lab or when testing is just not the real world.

This problem could have been discovered by simply viewing the movie. I’ve done QA and I know some things slip through but if we didn’t catch the obvious we would get a mouthful from high above. If I were $ony/BDA I’d have a room somewhere where every manufacturer has to submit a player and every movie released had to be watched. The problem the OP described(“pixilated and unwatchable”) would surely have been weeded out with a minimal QA effort. This is not a complex QA issue where you’d have to tunnel down deep into the software to stumble on to it.

It’s the whole gang. Studios, manufacturers, and the $ony led BDA. Anyone in that gang could stop all these problems by simply putting together a credible QA dept. That whole gang equals Blu Ray, so yes FreddyvsJasonvsAsh your right to say its not ready.

No, this falls on Fox and Sharp not the entire BDA.

Fox is notorious for putting out movies that break players. They must test it on the PS3 and figure it works there, then it works on 90% of the players out there (They have a point!). Screw the rest.

Jumper is unwatchable no matter what due to the bad acting and non-existant story lines.

Exactly, while Panasonic on the other hand is very good at this. Looks like Sharp might be the next Samsung, hope not.

Sharp would have to take a month or two to put out a player.

Speaking of which... Is Sharp coming out with a profile 1.1/2.0(hopefully) player in the near future?

Profile 1.0 is dead and buried. I hope profile 1.1 will be dead and buried with mainstream standalones, too.

I can't complain too much about the BD-HP20U, since they were giving them away free when I bought my TV back in January. I can tolerate a few quirks from a free BD player, even if it is only profile 1.0. In a few years I will put it in the bedroom when I get a new profile 2.0 player for $99 at WalMart.

If BD was 100% ready all BD players would run BD Live from the start and the players wouldn't have these issues like this one with the movie
BD-Live aside it should at the very least be able play the movie whether its 1.0, 1.1, 2.0. But yes this many years into the format and not have 2.0 as the only standard is not good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts