Firmware Upgrade: Elmore County

Mahdi_Raen

Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
Hey All,

When I woke up this morning I noticed that BH had upgraded the firmware on my Motorola DCT6412 DVR. The guide had different fonts and colors and the navigation system is all different. This was a little disconcerting because I was not expecting it. However, it appears as if the firmware upgrade erased (or hid) all of our previously recorded shows. When went to start my three-year old's favorite episode of her favorite TV show (you know, the one we watch 10 times a day :)) and it was not there!!!! As a matter of fact, nothing was there and the DVR reported that we had no shows saved. Also, it appears that there is no way to record a series now, shows have to be recorded one at a time.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this normal? Is my stuff really gone? Is there a guide or anything available to learn the new navigation system. Also, the machine says we have 50% of our space available...but we've only recorded one half-hour show (this is what makes me think that our previously recorded shows are somewhere) since the upgrade.

If this is what happens in an upgrade, I am very disappointed. It certainly doesn't seem like an upgrade to me to lose everything and lose features.

Yes!

Mine was the same when I woke up, they did send a flyer out, but it talked about how great it was ... at first look, it looks absolutely horrible to me.

Worse yet, all my recording settings are gone, and all my shows are gone ... and when I try to record something new, it tells me I have no space to record anything.

And the clock is wrong.

I tried calling, but all circuits are busy, I wonder if this is from all the complaints.

I live in Millbrook, AL (just north of Montgomery) part of the Elmore County area of BHN. I did notice that most of the other customers seem to be FL residents.

Thanks for the response bcubed. It is nice to know that it was just not my machine.

Not too far from the Wetumpka Airport myself.

I came home and I was able to fix the clock not being displayed, it was a setting in Setup where you could either have the channel or time displayed.

As far as it saying I have used 89% of my space, and I only have 2 shows recorded, this still worries me.

Anpther tv in the house wasn't working right, the tv not turning on .. it was also a setting under setup and it was wether the plug on the back was switched or unswitched.

Still no luck calling Brighthouse, Circuits seemed busy all day. My parents, who also use Brighthouse, said at church tonight lots of people were complaining.

yeah, the rest of us are either in central florida or the tampa area.

i am curious, though.......how long have you had that particular dvr? we're using scientific america here in florida.

I've had mine over a year I believe ... I also have a TiVo box in another room, and I really like TiVo better. The obvious advantage with the Motorola DVR is its dual tuner, as my TiVo is an older model, single tuner.

Didnt try to call the cable company today, the only problem that persists is the lack of space for recording, even though I only have 3 shows listed recorded.

bcubed Ya usally after a failed software upgrade expect the lines to be jammed as instead of a normal 300-500 calls or whatever they get thousands.. im sure they are aware of the problem and probley have it fixed without you even knowing..

Brevard County. Continuing discussion of the software change.

I have the HD DVR, but not HD programming or an HDTV. I got the HD box about a 9 months ago in order to have the larger disk capacity.

When I traded up from the standard DVR to the HD one, my picture quality jumped up to brilliant, outstanding, fantastic. Needless to say I was pleased with the higher cost HD box!

When the new software was downloaded, in addition to the aggravation of all the settings reverting to default, my picture quality dropped drastically. It is "watchable," but I have lost all bragging rights about what a great TV picture I have--not any more. Colors are very subdued, the picture is not sharp anymore. I am very disappointed.

Anyone else encounter a picture change with the new SW? Anybody know how to get to any hidden screens with settings that might get my great picture back--or did the SW change actually degrade what is being recorded onto the DVR disk? (BTW, I am talking about live viewing, but that comes off the disk just like recorded programs.)

Brevard County. Continuing discussion of the software change.

I have the HD DVR, but not HD programming or an HDTV. I got the HD box about a 9 months ago in order to have the larger disk capacity.

When I traded up from the standard DVR to the HD one, my picture quality jumped up to brilliant, outstanding, fantastic. Needless to say I was pleased with the higher cost HD box!

When the new software was downloaded, in addition to the aggravation of all the settings reverting to default, my picture quality dropped drastically. It is "watchable," but I have lost all bragging rights about what a great TV picture I have--not any more. Colors are very subdued, the picture is not sharp anymore. I am very disappointed.

Anyone else encounter a picture change with the new SW? Anybody know how to get to any hidden screens with settings that might get my great picture back--or did the SW change actually degrade what is being recorded onto the DVR disk? (BTW, I am talking about live viewing, but that comes off the disk just like recorded programs.)

Do you have the 8300 hd-dvr? If not, call in and ask for a new one.

If you do have the 8300 hd-dvr, does your TV support HDMI? If it does, switch from the rca cables over to HDMI and you will notice a HUGE improvement!

If none of that works for you, PM me. I can help with other problems as well.

Khandurian, thanks. Yes, I have Explorer 8300HD. That was what I got "when I traded up from the standard DVR to the HD one."

No, TV is pre-HDMI, and is not HD capable--but it is capable of displaying truly excellent quality, as it has previously.

If you are Cocoa Beach, I am about 12 mi south...Satellite Beach.

Ok, your tv doesn't have HDMI it should have DVI! We have the cables for that too! or you can go get your own, they cost the same either way!

Head down to radio shack there on A1A, (is it still there?) By Cinnamon Dr? Been awhile since I have been down that way. Anyways, Pick up an HDMI to DVI cable. You dont need the 150$ version, the 50$ version is the same one BHN sells to you to install.

Your tv is not HD capable? Christmas is only 10 days away!! (grin) Oh hold on, is this even a big screen tv? If it is, it should have the DVI connection!

!! No, not even big screen, not HD, not flat screen. But is capable of fantastic picture...I have seen it for months in the past. It's in an entertainment center wife won't let go...no big TVs for me.

RS is still there near Cinnamon. But I'm sure the TV does not have DVI or HDMI.

Your making this difficult! (grin) Well, lets start with the basics. When was the last time the drop (from ped/pole) to the house was replaced? When was the last time the wires in the house were replaced?

Sadly, that particular area is known for low signals. Although alot of it got repaired during the big storms 2 years ago. That was a fun adventure! Well lets start with the first 2 questions! If you would like we can continue this in PM or start another thread. We have hijacked this thread enough.

khands, maybe, you can clairify something for me. i was having severe pixelation on some of my hd channels so BH came out this summer and replaced the home run.....upgrading it to the thicker cable.

while that helped, i still have problems from time to time. what would you recommend as the next course of action? the apartment is fairly new and was wired in the last 3 years!!

sorry, you can pm with an answer! thanks.

khands, maybe, you can clairify something for me. i was having severe pixelation on some of my hd channels so BH came out this summer and replaced the home run.....upgrading it to the thicker cable.

while that helped, i still have problems from time to time. what would you recommend as the next course of action? the apartment is fairly new and was wired in the last 3 years!!

sorry, you can pm with an answer! thanks.

Im surpsied they replaced the line in your apt, usally we dont wire MDUS unless we get like 10 letters from the complex certified with notary and all kinda mess, because of problems in the past. But id recomend calling them for sure to come out and look at it. its free and alot can change from summer till now so it could be a new issue. If im not mistaken are you in the orlando area?

Your making this difficult! (grin) Well, lets start with the basics. When was the last time the drop (from ped/pole) to the house was replaced? When was the last time the wires in the house were replaced?

Sadly, that particular area is known for low signals. Although alot of it got repaired during the big storms 2 years ago. That was a fun adventure! Well lets start with the first 2 questions! If you would like we can continue this in PM or start another thread. We have hijacked this thread enough.
OK, I will start another topic, which will be FIRMWARE UPGRADE - PICTURE DEGRADATION?

Although this wasn't Elmore county, it was about firmare/software upgrade problems, but best to stay pure--so another topic it will be.

steven,
it was the line from the poll to my box that they replaced. a bh technician told me in 2004 (after the first hurricane hit) that i needed the thicker cable because of the distance from the poll to the box. the wiring inside hasn't changed.........although, another tech ran telephone cable to my bedroom so i could hook-up a second phone. and, yes, i needed a signed note from my landlord.

steven,
it was the line from the poll to my box that they replaced. a bh technician told me in 2004 (after the first hurricane hit) that i needed the thicker cable because of the distance from the poll to the box. the wiring inside hasn't changed.........although, another tech ran telephone cable to my bedroom so i could hook-up a second phone. and, yes, i needed a signed note from my landlord.

Ya that makes sense. I was thinking man you must of really talked that guy into hooking you up cause i know our intall constractors can be lazy bastards and they wouldnt do it unless they had NO other choice. They love to get out of work.. Some of them.

The saga continues with this new I-Guide .... seriously considering getting rid of it, as it is such a drastic change from our old system, and it is inferior in most ways.

If TiVo still gave a discount for a 2nd box (which it looks like they dont according to their website) I would just pick up another Tivo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)