Cox to go all digital in Fairfax County VA on 1/19/2016

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
I received a flyer today telling me that as of the date in the subject line Cox will be all digital and I will have to rent a mini box to receive usable signals on that date. I have Cox internet and I used the TV in one rom and had it as a backup when DISH would go out. I just did a hopper upgrade and I have DISH in all rooms now. Does anyone know if I will still be able to connect the cable directly to a set with a QAM tuner and watch TV? If not it is time to downgrade to internrt only. I will not save much from what I pay now but I will be darned if I will pay for mini tuner boxes too.

They promised us that over ten years ago. So I switched to Dish.

Any chance you have, or might soon get, FiOS?

not Cox here in Minneapolis but Comcast has been all digital (scrambled) for a couple years now

Have you tried already to see if QAM works? All digital and scrambled are 2 different things. Does the flyer say a box or a digital TV? If not and it says a box then you may be SOL

The flyer says you needa box. A ini box to be exact. I am trying to find out if everything will be scrambled. Right now things are pointing that way.

As for FIOS I had the installers out twice and both times they failed to get it to work. No idea why/ But after that experience and then my son's experience(they gave him ervice by disconnecting his neighbor) I hesitate to bring them out again.

everything is scrambled except one promo channel. i lost all the clear QAM locals in Tulsa back in September when Cox went all digital here. Have to have a mini, Cox dvr or Tivo with cable card to receive any programming now

Comcast is like that too. When I lived in my apartment I hooked up to see and one station logged and was a loop saying "congrats...you are able to receive Comcast. Please call us to find out about great offers"

It took quite an effort to cancel. They kept offering me "Deals" to include paying $5.99 as month to not have filters put on my line so I could reactivate quickly. But, in the end it will be all encrypted and i really do not need it any longer as the Hopper now gives me an extra room of satellite. The one consolation is that it makes me feel better about going with the Hopper now as opposed to waiting for the Hopper 3 or whatever it will be called.

I think that the filter stops me from getting a bootleg box---or maybe it is just meant to scare me. Not sure. I distrusted them when it was Media General and I have only slightly more confidence in what they tell me now.

If I could have gotten FIOS to work I would have no dealings with Cox. Alas that was not the case. I ususect it was the installer's fault but it just never worked.

Maybe it is just a tremendous coincidence but my cable TV is out---though the internet is fine. Not sure if they put in filters already or did something else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)