First 2.36 Bug!

maximum

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Phoenix
I got the 2.36 software update overnight and right off the bat I encountered the first bug. With the old software, when the receiver was off you could press the up arrow on the remote and see the system info. screen. So I tried the up arrow this morning to see if we got the update and nothing happened. I press the Select button to turn on the receiver . . . nothing happens. I press the power button on the remote . . . nothing. I press the power button on the front panel . . . nothing. I hold in the power button on the front panel to reboot. After the reboot it finally works again.

But then I tried the up arrow when the power is off sequence again and find out that I can't turn on the receiver. I had to re-boot again to get the receiver to work. I only tried this with TV1 so I don't know if TV2 has the same problem. But the fact that you can't turn on the receiver, even with the front panel controls, if you happen to press the up arrow on the remote when the receiver is off is a major bug IMO.

I'll give that a try tonight and see if I can replicate it. That does seem to be a major problem (not because people generally do what you did, but because buttions get pushed by accident all the time).

Here is a first for me. Not one of the 4 timers I set today actually recorded anything. They all show up as beng recorded in Schedule. But they are just not there. WHen I tried to record something with the Record button, it said it was recording, but nothing actually recorded. Rebooting fixed it, but the shows are gone forever.

A clue: The HISTORY list shows page after page of gibberish.

maximum said:
...With the old software, when the receiver was off you could press the up arrow on the remote and see the system info. screen. So I tried the up arrow this morning to see if we got the update and nothing happened....

Although I wasn't aware of this method of bringing up the sysinfo screen, I discovered it this morning when I noticed similar behavior. The receiver wouldn't come out of standby with the select button. Still half asleep, I pressed the up or left arrow button a couple times while fumbling with the remote . Eventually the (now alien) sysinfo screen came up, and the dvr began responding to the remote again without me rebooting it. I attributed it to same old bug where the dvr ignores the remote for long periods of time. Sound plausible??? I'm considerably more patient early in the morning, especially considering I have to walk 80 ft down stairs through the jungle of my kid's toy mess to get to the dvr. I prefer waking up slowly with a hot cup of coffee much more than abruptly after stepping on a toy tyrannosaur. :)

I never knew you could do that to bring up the system screen. I'm scared to try it now though.

This may be another bug:

When I go to watch tv I usually hit the power button on the remote for the receiver first then turn on the tv. I notice for some odd reason that doesn't work anymore. I actually have to turn the tv on first then hit the power for the receiver for it to come on. This is both tuners.

Also twice yesterday I'm watching tv and it freezes, then it does an acquire signal thing, mind you I had a timer going on tv1 that was broken up.

More information about system info screen bug.

I did a little more research last night concerning the receiver not responding if you press the up arrow while the receiver is off.

Apparently this problem only occurs with the RF connection. If you are viewing through the S-video output, the system info screen appears as (like it is supposed to). I didn't check to see if it also shows via the component or composite video outputs.

So whats happening is the system info. screen is opening but you can't see it if you are using the RF connection. Since the power light doesn't come on and the power button does not respond it appears that the receiver is not responding.

turn on

Since L236, it now takes two pushes of the "select" button to get the 522 to wake up on our receiver.

supereal said:
Since L236, it now takes two pushes of the "select" button to get the 522 to wake up on our receiver.

I've noticed that too, but only if it has been off for a while. If I turn it off and then on right away, it only takes one push.

I'm having the same problem when using uhf remote for TV1, plus having problems manually entering channel numbers (using number keys). Will e-mail tech support.

This is the responce from tech support e-mail.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, May 07, 2005 4:26 PM
To: Tech
Subject: Technical Support,

Dear Mr. Casher,

Thank you for your email correspondence. Dish Network uses two different types of remote controls; IR (Infrared) and UHF (Ultra High Frequency). IR remotes use infrared light to send commands to your satellite receiver; you must point an IR remote directly at the piece of equipment you are trying to control. UHF remotes use sound waves to send commands to your satellite receiver and can control your receiver from another room. The below instructional message has been created to assist you with programming your remote and providing a clear path to resolving any potential issues.

Programming my Dish Network remote to my TV or VCR

1) To find the codes for your equipment; paste this link into your browser. http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/customerCare/technical/index.shtml

2) Press the mode button, which corresponds with the piece of equipment you are trying to operate, at the top of your Dish Network remote until all of the mode buttons light up.

3) Type in the code you located in step 1 and then press the # key on your remote. You will notice that the mode button will blink 3 times. This indicates that your remote has accepted the code you have entered.

4) Now attempt to use your remote on the piece of equipment; if it works, you are done. If the code you tried didn't work, repeat steps with a different code.

NOTE: There are times when your remote will not have a code for your piece of equipment, we cannot guarantee compatibility.

Programming my Dish Network remote to my receiver

1) Please walk up to the front of your receiver and perform this first step on the satellite receiver, not your remote; select the most appropriate (press the sys info button, pull your smartcard, power off your satellite receiver and then press the up button). You should now see the System Information screen on your TV.

2) Press the SAT mode button on the top of your remote.
3) Press the Record button on your remote. This will sync the remote and the satellite receiver's address.
4) If you have pulled your smartcard, you will need to reinsert it now or if you have turned off your satellite receiver you will need to turn it on.

5) Now attempt to use your remote; if it works, you are done.

I have a UHF system and my satellite receiver is changing channels on it own

1) Please walk up to the front of your receiver and perform this first step on the satellite receiver, not your remote; select the most appropriate (press the sys info button, pull your smartcard, power off your satellite receiver and then press the up button). You should now see the System Information screen on your TV.

2) Press and hold the SAT mode button on the top of your remote until the other mode lights light up.
3) Type, on your remote, a number between 1 and 15 and then press the # on your remote (NOTE: select a number that is different from the number indicated in your System Information screen next to Remote Address). You will notice that the SAT mode button will blink 3 times. This indicates that your remote has accepted the code you have entered.

4) Now press the Record button on your remote. You should notice that the remote address in your System Information screen has changed to the number you selected.

6) If you have pulled your smartcard, you will need to reinsert it now or if you have turned off your satellite receiver you will need to turn it on.

5) Now attempt to use your remote; if it works, you are done.

My remote still isn't working

1) Is your remote in the proper mode? To control your satellite receiver, your remote will need to be placed in satellite mode by pressing the SAT mode button.

2) Do you have the correct remote? TV1 remotes will generally be in the same room as the satellite receiver.
3) Replace the batteries in your remote; take special care to ensure proper placement and direction.

If these steps haven't restored your remotes proper operation, you may need some assistance.

Determining who to contact:

Please walk up to the front of your receiver and perform this step on the satellite receiver, not your remote; select the most appropriate (press the sys info button, pull your smartcard, power off your satellite receiver and then press the up button). You should now see the System Information screen on your TV. On your screen you will see a phone number for technical assistance.

You are a valued customer, we hope that these steps have you enjoying your Dish Network programming once again.

Sincerely,

Mark H.

Technical Support

Dish Network

********** Original Message **********

Full Name: Patrick Casher

Account Number:

Question: DVR 522 SW 2.36; Since going to L2.36 we've been having problems

when turning on the receiver from the uhf remote being used for TV1 seems

something about the info screen comming up on the composite output and not

the RF output requiring another pressing of the select button before

anything happens and on the uhf remote operation for TV2 my wife

complained of getting some warning screen when powering on from off state

which I haven't checked out as the receiver is currently in use. Maybe

I'll leave the receiver on to see if it aleviates the confusion for now.

We have been turning both TV1 & 2 off upon retiring.

On the one hand, it seems they just saw the word "remote" in your email and sent off a generic FAQ.

On the other, the lack of punctuation and some odd grammar may have made it far to vague for them to do anything else. I would suggest writing a very clear description of the problem along with a bulleted list of everything you have done to test the problem.

AJF said:
Mine also doesn't turn on with 1 button push, it takes 2 . It's VERY annoying .
Another new two-button 522 user here. I think there are enough of us seeing this now that it can't be written off as someone's bad batteries or lazy button pushes. It's always two for me - never one, never three, always two. I can easily live with this, if they've managed to fix a few other problems. Audio/Video sync would be nice, but I've even learned to live with THAT. What really bugs me however, is the failure to record some shows. Timers are there, but sometimes they don't show up in daily schedule. So they don't record. Fix is to check EVERY DAY whether your schedule is as you'd expect. If not, run a check switch, which forces a guide download and generaly, but not always, gets the daily schedule back in sync with the timers. I can verify that this bug still exists with 2.36. Bummer!

I think Mark H. just needs to get with the times. He must be confusing their UHF remotes with the Zenith Space Command (see here).

Interestingly, that article also mentions the radio based remote control concept, and its obvious "neighborly interference" problem that we see reported often on here in these modern times. :)

I have more incomplete recordings than I've ever had in the past . Last night while setting up a recording my 522 froze and then went into diagnostics . I re-booted . This morning it would not respond at all . Re-booted again . Still need 2 button push to turn on.

I have had more problems with this software update than any of the previous ones .

AJF said:
I have more incomplete recordings than I've ever had in the past . Last night while setting up a recording my 522 froze and then went into diagnostics . I re-booted . This morning it would not respond at all . Re-booted again . Still need 2 button push to turn on.

I have had more problems with this software update than any of the previous ones .

All of my timers have fired correctly and recorded the entire programming with appropriate padding.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)