First 811 Installed in East Texas!!

OK, well, I know some people might disagree, but I would recommend getting a cheap dvi-d cable. I think circuit city/best buy dvi cables cost about $80 for the cheapest (monster cable costs more).

I ordered a cheap 15 foot dvi cable from pccables.com for $27, the shorter ones are about $20. Much cheaper than $80, and the one I ordered worked out well. If it doesn't, you can still return it.

811 - No way to change aspect ratio????

WHOA! You're telling me that the 811 has no way to change the aspect ratio (normal/zoom/grey bars/stretch) like the 6000 had? Can this please be verified ASAP since it's true I'm cancelling my order. :(

Scott Greczkowski said:
You DON'T need a SuperDISH.

All HD will be at 110.

This was announced last week on the Retailer Chat, it will be made public next week on the Consumer Charlie Chat.

erm - and what about WCBS-DT, smartypants? :)

Samsung DLP

Stacy A said:
The picture quality is great on the Samsung DLP.

Which Samsung DLP TV do you have? I'm interested in the HLN437W and was interested in how DishNetwork content looked on it. I haven't been able to locate one locally yet though.

Samsung DLP

I have the 811 connected to a HLN 4365, picture looks actually stunning when watching any of the HD channels.

Main complaint: only normal/zoom modes, so when watching SD it shows only 4x3, even the monitor will not stretch it (I am having it on 480p/780p/1080i component input).

My wife complains pretty much about this, so while waiting for a software download I might have to keep an old receiver switched on one of the inputs also ... ugh

Douwe

yeah, well - it's ticking me off to no end. WCBS-DT is really the only reason I need a 2nd dish. Wouldn't the cost of 2 dish setups overweigh the transponder space (as I'm assuming quite a bit of the WCBS-DT subs are in NYC metro area?)

Can't you get WCBS-DT off air?

And Dish does not pay for Dishes for 61.5 if you want CBS HD. (Although they will if you also have locals on 61.5 as well)

Re: Samsung DLP

douweb said:
I have the 811 connected to a HLN 4365, picture looks actually stunning when watching any of the HD channels.

Main complaint: only normal/zoom modes, so when watching SD it shows only 4x3, even the monitor will not stretch it (I am having it on 480p/780p/1080i component input).

My wife complains pretty much about this, so while waiting for a software download I might have to keep an old receiver switched on one of the inputs also ... ugh

Douwe

If I remember correctly both the SD and HD outputs are active simultaneously, so... you could sacrifice a little in PQ on the standard channels and connect a s-video to another input on the TV and just toggle back and fourth depending on the content.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Can't you get WCBS-DT off air?

And Dish does not pay for Dishes for 61.5 if you want CBS HD. (Although they will if you also have locals on 61.5 as well)

Well, I'm trying to wedge an antenna onto my E* array as part of my install - we'll see. :) I can tell you WCBS-DT is *not* easy in Ffld County, unless you're talking Stamford or Greenwich (I'm in Fairfield, about 50 feet from Bridgeport).

As for E* paying for the 61.5 dish - I'm also getting HBO-HD with the new sub deal, and have confirmed they're coming with the 2nd dish. I didn't hear anything about extra cost, so I'm assuming HBO-HD gets me the 2nd dish gratis.

HookedOnTV,

Thanks!! That did it ... btw not a sacrifice for me since I was doing S-Video from my (fairly old) TIVO anyway which I just placed in between the S-Video line through to monitor

... still we should be asking for stretch mode though ...

Stacy A said:
Okay, here is what i know so far. Fan noise is pretty much non-existent. The picture quality is great on the Samsung DLP. Love the menu guide as its just like Scott said, openTV software. Don't know about the stretch modes as I haven't played with it any. However there are two interesting things: 1) the remote has DVR buttons on it, and 2) apparently the optical out is not working as it only makes a staticy popping sound, and yes, we set everything up in the menu. The installer said they may have to trade out the unit. I'll try pictures again here.

Stacy

I see you have that RCA receiver. I have it too. Note it takes PCM Only from the digital output so you have to select that option in the 811. Thats why you get garbage...

Lee

I see you have that RCA receiver. I have it too. Note it takes PCM Only from the digital output so you have to select that option in the 811. Thats why you get garbage...

It's my father-in-law's RCA. He selected PCM only and voila', he had sound from all channels, but no Dolby Digital on HBO-HD or HDNET. He could only get a stereo mix on the RCA. On Dolby Digital only or Dolby Digital/PCM he would get no sound on regular channels, but would get sound on any channel broadcasting a Dolby Digital signal. He borrowed a 508 from me and it works fine with Dolby Digital selected in it's menu. His new 811 simply refuses to discriminate and pass through either/or digital/pcm. He called Dish tech support and spent some time on the phone with them this morning and they went through a lot of checking this and that and came to the conclusion that the installer needs to look at it and switch it out with a different unit to see if it still does it. My father-in-law insists it is a bad output, but I am worried it is a compatibility issue between RCA A/V receivers and the 811.

Stacy

Stacy,

Based on your description, it could well be a firmware bug. Have you checked for new software yet? Scott mentioned something about a software download for 811 releasing today in one of the 811 threads.

In the meantime, DPL or DPL-2 decoding will probably get acceptable results.

Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts