First BD50 Review CNET

teachsac

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Nov 3, 2005
Elk Grove, CA
CNET has posted the first review of the BD50. It is unclear if they received an incomplete model or not, as they couldn't get the 2.0 feature to work. They went into no details on what measures they took to trouble shoot the problem.

The internal decoders decode all formats and will output either 5.1 through analog or full 7.1 through HDMI for users that have less than a 1.3 capable receiver.

The review is pretty much as expected. It did very well with the HD portion of the tests and mixed with the SD portion of the tests. Results also varied with SD video and film based material doing better on the latter and passing the 2:3 pulldown test. Most users will use film based material and it will be more than adequate.

The TV they used was a LG 50PG70. While accepting 1080p24, I'm not sure it displays it at a multiple of 24. Accoriding to their spec sheet has 3:2 compensation. If it does, at most it is 48hz like the Panasonic 800.

Panasonic DMP-BD50 Video Players and Recorder reviews - CNET Reviews

I still haven't heard from my distributor when they will be out. The date keeps changing. It's now mid June and we're on the 7th and I haven't heard.

It will be interesting to see how the Sony 550 compares at $200 cheaper or the Samsung 2500 pans out if the rumor turns out to be true (I see Josh posted a day later after Elway posted his link. Not sure where you found the original link).

S~

Last edited:
I traced a post on BR.com to the source.

I hate to say it, but I think Panasonic may be a little to high on this one, especially seeing the first results of the new 1500. Have you heard anything on price?

If the 2500 is reasonable(and actually arrives), I may consider selling my BD30. We'll see though.

Im also wondering if we will see a PQ improvement on the next Panny, if they are really improving what the Uniphier can do.

Which player is generally accepted to have the best BD PQ right now?

As far as BD playback goes, I don't know how they would improve on the PQ. I do know they are working to improve on the SD playback.

Samsung hasn't won me over yet as a company. Panasonic has proven to be a company that can put out an excellent product that actually works. When a problem surfaces they work to correct. They also work with other CE companies, such as the problem with the Samsung LCD EDID table. They also have their Hollywood Labs that works with the film aspect.

I agree with the 699 price. 599 would be slightly better, but I would rather spend more on a player that works and a company that I know can solve a problem, than spend less and go through major headaches.

I want a player downstairs to replace my BD10 that has full internal decoding and bitstream, as my Lexicon does not decode the new codecs. I am considering the BD50 and the Sony 500 right now.

S~

So you think what we are seeing PQ wise right now is prob the best? Im not complaining, I was just unsure if there was any more left. As far as Im concerned the BD30's blu-ray picture is awesome.

You are right on support because Panasonic is pretty quick with fixes and Samsung has not always been able to say that.

The more I think about it, I dont know if the 2500 would even be worth it with the better SD playback. The only DVD's Im watching right now are a series that should have the next season in BD and a few movies released before the war ended.

It will be interesting to see how the Sony 550 compares at $200 cheaper or the Samsung 2500 pans out if the rumor turns out to be true (I see Josh posted a day later after Elway posted his link. Not sure where you found the original link).

The Sony 550 won't be out until Sept/Oct. (I'm thinking Oct. 1.) The 2500 is actually interesting. Samsung is getting a "little" better. I haven't heard too many complaints about the 1500 just yet.

Kudos to Panny for putting out the first feature complete standalone. Hopefully Sony or Samsung will put out one that can actually upscale worth a damn.

I do like how they gave props to the BH200. (The BH200 can actually de-interlace. I will have to rent that "Tony Bennett" disc and see if my BH200 can handle it. I'm sure it can.)

These speeds were all significantly faster than the Samsung BD-P1500, and among all of the standalone players we've tested, only the LG BH200 loaded discs as quickly as the DMP-BD50. Of course, the PS3 is still the speed champ, and we're constantly frustrated by how unresponsive standalone players feel in comparison

I agree on the 1500, we'll just have to wait and see if Samsung can improve their track record and if owners still feel the same way about the 1500 6 mo's from now.

The bad: Profile 2.0 features didn't actually work;

The bottom line: Excellent soundtrack support and Profile 2.0-compliancy make the Panasonic DMP-BD50 the most recommendable standalone Blu-ray player to date, but the PS3 is still better and cheaper.
No one thinks that isnt significant? The PS3 still beats vaporware.

No one thinks that isnt significant? The PS3 still beats vaporware.

Not really. Motor Trend and Car and Driver receive testers all the time before they are actually in production that have minor issues. These are always corrected by time of mass market.

Until they hit show room floors and dont work, Ill not worry.

Not really. Motor Trend and Car and Driver receive testers all the time before they are actually in production that have minor issues. These are always corrected by time of mass market.
They do not tout the turbo if it don't work. And of course the features on a car is nothing new. Of course they won't knock the car without one at review time if its promised later because its been done 100 times before. Profile 2.0 on BD has not. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Very pedestrian review considering all the hype around here. I hope they clean it up. We'll talk about the 2.0 features when it hit the shelves.
"The following tests, however, were a disappointment. A test with three shifting white lines was filled with jaggies, as was the following test with a rotating white bar. We were also disappointed to see the DMP-BD50 perform particularly poorly on a test with scrolling titles, with both vertically and horizontally scrolling text was mangled. Granted, most of the DMP-BD50's failures were on video-based tests--which are less common than film discs--but it's still unacceptable on a disc player at this price. And it did pass the difficult 2:3 pull-down test, which many players choke on. Still, the cheaper Samsung BD-P1500 performed much better on these tests, as did the PS3."

It seems that CNET read the owners manual and figured out how to actually work the 2.0 features. You must have an empty card. I personally feel that the memory needs to be built into the player, especially since it really isn't that expensive anymore. One reason I really don't go by reviews, most reviewers don't know how to actually operate the equipment correctly. Saw the same thing with a review on the Hitachi Director's Series Plasma.

S~

Certifying a new BD player (just adding 1GB of flash would be a new player) is a nightmare in terms of test suits - at least 6 months.
And if something goes wrong - the counter resets.

Just wait for the BD+ system to be renewed - another potential "troublemaker".

Diogen.

Certifying a new BD player (just adding 1GB of flash would be a new player) is a nightmare in terms of test suits - at least 6 months.
And if something goes wrong - the counter resets.

Just wait for the BD+ system to be renewed - another potential "troublemaker".

Diogen.

That just means Samsung and LG won't play them at first again. Fox must be really pissed at LG since both of their combo players are EASILY hackable to be region free.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)