First Look at Windows 8.1 (Wired)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
The most fundamentally important new features are the revisions to Search and SkyDrive. The one that will get the most attention, however, is the Start button that now uses the Windows logo and remains visible at all times in the taskbar if you’re working in desktop mode.

Source & More: wired.com

Wouldn't it be something if this is what kept many from getting Windows 8 and their sales soar after they add the Start button back?

It will still suck cause its windows just like their phones in 3rd place.. or maybe 4th now with BB :D

Mac still kills them.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

It'll take a lot of positive reviews,to get me to move on from win7.

8.1 may be close enough to 7 to move my business computers to it. Most of them are still running XP, and of course XP support is ending next year. I have been debating Win 7 vs Win 8 for them. The main hangup is the training issues. I have a lot of people working for me that barely can work a mouse verses learning a whole new way of doing things. If 8.1 is close enough to win 7, I will go with it. It will still cause a lot of upgrade pain for my people, but I think they will be able to get it.

Most readers of this forum are tech savvy. I have a lot of people that think rebooting the computer is turning the monitor off and then back on, they are smart and capable in the jobs that they do, but computers may as well be from outside the solar system as far as they are concerned.

I recommend to everyone, if you're upgrading computers with the eyecandy as a priority, get a Mac.
It's out of the gate more secure and they've been doing, what M$ is attempting to do in the 'visuals', for a long time.
Yeah 8 is getting a start button, but from there, it in no way will resemble any previous version of win. If you want easy access to 100 different programs, your going to need multiple desktops, to contain all the 'tiles', or swipe.
Oh, BTW, those tiles are the ugliest things I've seen just about anywhere. IMHO
If your 'scared' of running an OS after M$ ends support - load a flavor of Linux. {install alongside, dual boot, but re-partition with the at least half going to the Linux install(don't think you'll go back)} I've installed Ubuntu, and use it daily for all web activity. Firefox is already installed in Ubuntu. (I've also installed Chrome)
You'll be surprised at how much faster that dinosaur becomes. Boot and on the net in under 60 seconds, shutdown in ~8. Laptop battery lasts twice as long running Ubuntu than when running Vista.
Guess what, you can still access your files on the windoze NFTS partition. And save files there. Or copy file to.
NOTE: You will not be able to access any file saved in linux (partition) from Windoze.
Many windoze programs run just fine in wine http://www.winehq.org/about/
If it doesn't work for you, you can reformat the linux partition to NTFS and install 8,
Win8 still requires regular defrag. Not really needed at all in linux. (you can tho-if it suits you)
Ubuntu has never gotten in 'the way' by rebooting itself after an update. (That burns my A-- with M$ win)
Office? LibreOffice(included in Ubuntu) or OpenOffice. Both handle M$ office files. The reverse cant be said. Both can export as PDF. M$O-?
One thing about the End of Support for a M$ OS. It's, at that time, the stablest, and securest that it ever was. Yeah, someone may find a hole, but those intent on finding them usually move their focus onto the 'new'.
And from what I've seen, most of the crapware out there today requires operator clicking a bogus warning on some webpage. Oh, If you happen to click one while running a flavor of linux, 99.9999999% of the time NOTHING happens, as it's written to run in M$ windoze. Worms and trojan horses are a M$ disease. Very rare, in comparison, in linux.
There's still a need for windoze here, so there will be 98, XP and Vista running now and then, but for web, pictures, music, video, I really like Ubuntu. Oh, skype too. (Notice, I skipped over a couple of atrociously bad versions[Me & 2K]. Vista has been 'modded' with settings to make it operate more like Xp)
Vista looks to be the last M$ OS that will be run here. 7 didn't impress me.
Oh JFTR: Skydrive = Ubuntu One (Oh my, you can use it in windoze too)
Sorry if that got off subject(and sounded like a commercial)but that's the jest of my opinion on 8.0 or 8.1 or whatever they call the next version of it. L8nghorn?

Want a more secure M$ machine? More secure than what antivirus offers. Create an account for everyday use that does not have Administrator Privileges. Only log into the Administrator account when it's absolutely necessary. That alone will let that dinosaur run a long time. As long as the hardware lasts.
Baby sitters are allowed the Guest account ONLY. But they have their smart phones now so that account is probably not necessary.
Sorry- I'll quit now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)