Windows 10/11 Download

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Another annoyance with 11. When click on a .exe or .msi installer and it just sits there.
Right click on the file and unblock it.

Attachments

• uni.PNG
    uni.PNG
    438.9 KB · Views: 22
I need to go in and fix my Win Update. For about a month now, it fails to install one of the last last updates

Another annoyance with 11. When click on a .exe or .msi installer and it just sits there.
Right click on the file and unblock it.
This has been a “thing” with Windows since 7 (or Vista). I guess 11 defaults to only running “Local” Exes.

Hopefully you aren’t running your day-to-day computing as an Administrator…

This has been a “thing” with Windows since 7 (or Vista).
Unless something has changed, you don't get a pop-up in Vista or 7 telling you that it doesn't recognize/trust the source. I pretty sure that's a feature of Windows Security (Defender) that is present in Windows 10 and Windows 11 unless you replace it with a third party security product.

The screwy thing with Windows 7 and Windows 10 (and maybe 11) is when a UAC window pops up behind other screens. Awful.

I’m sure someone on the Win11 team said “we’ve given them this ability to “authorize” content downloaded from an untrusted source, but now we’re ratcheting it down to force the issue” by default.

Before this, I had software fail to install because it hadn’t been “unblocked” by clicking that checkbox. But that was on a server. Now, it’s part of my routine when I get something from Dell, HP, HPE, VMware, Xerox, etc., I unblock the file(s).

This has been a “thing” with Windows since 7 (or Vista). I guess 11 defaults to only running “Local” Exes.

Hopefully you aren’t running your day-to-day computing as an Administrator…
I go into the properties on all my programs on my Windows drive, and again after any of them update and check the box for Run as Administrator. Before Win 8 took it away, I always set myself up as the Super Administrator. This is the closest you can get to that anymore

I was reading the Security Updates release notes and the latest Patch Tuesday addresses 149 issues. Quite a few of them are for SQL Server (37, mostly threat 8.8/10) but that's got to be nearing some sort of record for Microsoft malfeasance.

I go into the properties on all my programs on my Windows drive, and again after any of them update and check the box for Run as Administrator. Before Win 8 took it away, I always set myself up as the Super Administrator. This is the closest you can get to that anymore
Not sure what you mean by Super Administrator, but if you want to login Windows locally using the built in administrator account that has the username Administrator, it's always been there it's just disabled since sometime after XP.

There are numerous ways to enable it, but the easiest is probably go to lusrmgr.msc, right click on Administrator, go to Properties and deselect Account is disabled. By default, the built in Administrator account has no password, if you'd like to create a password either by right clicking again and select Set Password, or logon to the account and change it while logged on.

In Windows 8 (and I think 10) when you logged on this way you could not run metro apps and access to the Microsoft Store was restricted, not like that is any big loss. I think there were a couple other limitations as well, but it's been so long, I can't remember. I have not logged on to Windows 11 using Administrator.

And again, I will point out that using the local Administrator account for your daily driving (or any account that is a member of the Local Admins group) is like playing Russian Roulette. Windows has made it as easy as it can to Run as Administrator when making system-wide changes. Is it a pain? Sure, but not as painful as catching something you can’t clean.

Willing to take that risk.

Been running as a local Admin 100% of the time since forever and UAC is one of the first things that gets disabled on a clean install.

Kind of seriously disagree using Administrator as your everyday login. I do use auto login with my user account still by running control userpasswords2. Done that for years. By using Administrator as your regular login. It's highly unlikely that you're going to use a long password with a string of *, _ , characters. Or unprintables.
I believe even now, Windows has hidden control userpasswords2. Services have disabled things like function discovery and the things it takes to connect to networked computers, devices on your LAN. Which I depend on.
Take Edge and Chrome. If you wish to view your stored logins and passwords. Under a regular user account you will be prompted for your Windows login password first. I think running as Admin. you will not. Check it for me.
Any device connected to the Internet really should not be run under root privileges. Just because you've been lucky and confident that you do. Not really a good idea. My gut feelings anyway.

Are you talking about logging on as an administrator or THE Administrator?

I logon to all of my computers using the local username 'Admin' which is in the local Administrators group and I've always been prompted to authenticate to view saved passwords in web browsers.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-14 142412.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-14 142412.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 10