Windows 11

I am running a I.13 machine and a ryzen 9 machine here, all home built with my own parts and have never seen a BSOD, they run great. Run lots of intense lithographs on both and no problems. I agree on the bad load, reinstall and see what happens. I will say that what you want you go out and buy a prebuilt machine. Build your own, put a fresh copy of windows on it and enjoy without all the preloaded stuff on it. A clean copy of windows on a custom machine eliminates all the stuff the pre builts have tucked into them. I did not go far enough back into this thread, but task manager is your friend to turn a lot of stuff of if preinstalled either way. Turn of all in start up, you can still access them. Go through service and turn off anything non MS aka 3rd party stuff like drivers for your hardware, you know how to update. Lots of these little things add up to a slow and error prone machine.

Reactions: navychop
That's a whole lot of work for someone who just wants to use their computer. It would certainly be different if it was home built but that's why people buy from companies like Dell.

Update on my KMODE exception BSOD problem:

It's been about 3 weeks since the last KMODE BSOD. Computer is on 24/7 with only screen saver sleep mode to reduce power consumption.

Last evening I got an alert that there is an update to a wifi driver so I installed it to keep with the latest drivers. This morning I got the KMODE BSOD error while using Chrome again. This time I saw a note that flashed up for about 2 seconds: "Source of failure is NETIO.sys" yada yada. Wasn't up long enough to see the rest of the explanation.

I don't even use wifi as this system is connected to my router via ethernet.

This reference speaks of disabling antivirus as one remedy. I'm certainly not going to do that.

It sounds like the MB has built in wifi, go into the bios and disable it, also roll back to right before the wifi update. Also if it is store bought brand disable the Dell, HP, whatever apps so they do not install drivers automatically. If it works fine don't upgrade anything other than you video drivers and do it through your card manufactures site.

That's a whole lot of work for someone who just wants to use their computer. It would certainly be different if it was home built but that's why people buy from companies like Dell.
More work than Don is going through now to get it to run? Two hours removing pre installed bloatware software that will never be used, reading and understanding your bios and turning unused hardware off, task manager and turn off unused start up programs [Can still be used via the start menu] then run crap cleaner, all will be fine and run smoother. Oh and delete all the unused Icons you see when you click start and arrange the ones you do to your liking.

Reactions: HipKat
More work than Don is going through now to get it to run? Two hours removing pre installed bloatware software that will never be used, reading and understanding your bios and turning unused hardware off, task manager and turn off unused start up programs [Can still be used via the start menu] then run crap cleaner, all will be fine and run smoother. Oh and delete all the unused Icons you see when you click start and arrange the ones you do to your liking.
You're making a rather long reach that doing all of that will fix the problem.

Bet it would. I do that with alot of customers new computers. Dells come preinstalled with their own update program, most of the time it is way behind windows update and breaks things. Clean OS will solve lots and also if it is a store bought you can download windows media creation tool and just put a clean copy on and it is automatically activated. No junk, other than the windows stuff and set it up how you want it. Things like McAfee running in the background with 20 other programs preinstalled can really drag a machine down.

It sounds like the MB has built in wifi, go into the bios and disable it, also roll back to right before the wifi update. Also if it is store bought brand disable the Dell, HP, whatever apps so they do not install drivers automatically. If it works fine don't upgrade anything other than you video drivers and do it through your card manufactures site.
It is built in. But I'm not using it and it is already off. I use ethernet and only switch to wifi when my main internet provider goes off line, which is very rare. Then, if I need to get on line I turn on wifi and use the hotspot on iphone.

I use AVG driver scanner to seek out when a driver has an update. It's more of an informer than anything else. I've always liked to keep my drivers updated.

I priced out a DIY computer to replace my older DIY and it would have cost me more than this Dell. In the past I have used Dell and they were superior to HP, Lenovo etc. I really don't believe I have a hardware of bloatware problem. I feel it is Microsoft windows 11 bugs. Only evidence to that is the large number of people with similar problems. Some have it worse than me.

"Off" still requires a driver to be loaded at boot (in case you turn it on).

I'm with Comptech on this and would recommend against using this tool.
I've been using it ever since I started using windows 10 when AVG introduced it. Never had an issue with it. Sure makes it easy getting a notice when the manufacturer offers an update.

I continue to ask every naysayer, where is the evidence?

The evidence may lie in the fact that you're having this problem.
That's not evidence of what caused the problem so random accusations is not good detective work. Like saying your problem will go away if you just shut down your computer and stick to your slide rule and for research go to the library.

Reactions: Lone Gunman
That's not evidence of what caused the problem so random accusations is not good detective work.
It is certainly better reasoned than accepting that BSODs are an unavoidable fact of life just because some relatively minuscule number of users had what appears to be the same problem (and possibly because they updated a driver that they shouldn't have).

If Windows is complaining about a driver, the first place you look is where the drivers are coming from. The AVG tool takes that out of your hands and assumes that all new drivers are necessarily improved drivers.

Unless there is a widely known vulnerability with a driver, there's usually no reason to fix what ain't broke. The same is often true of firmware updates (unless they promise to fix a specific problem or support a new feature).

Reactions: Comptech
I've been using it ever since I started using windows 10 when AVG introduced it. Never had an issue with it. Sure makes it easy getting a notice when the manufacturer offers an update.

I continue to ask every naysayer, where is the evidence?
This is my go to for updates, driver updates and other tools

Titus advocates waiting weeks or event months to apply non-critical updates, "previews" and "moments". I think there's probably a more practical middle ground that involves blending the likelihood that Microsoft breaks something with the utility that should be gained on a case-by-case basis. In the case of Windows 11, there typically isn't much to be gained that wasn't lost or hidden because of Windows 11 design goals.

I don't recall that he has an official position on device drivers, but he errs hugely on the side of caution when it comes to non-critical OS updates so I'd guess he would treat driver updates with the same contempt.

Reactions: Comptech and HipKat
The only evidence I have is the same as Harshness, if everything is working fine, there is no reason to update anything driver wise. The only exception that I have is video card drivers and I go straight to the manufactures website for them.

Reactions: HipKat
The only exception that I have is video card drivers and I go straight to the manufactures website for them.
Since most display card driver updates are centered around issues or optimizations related to specific gaming titles, I can't get behind this approach.

I supported Autodesk products in my workplace and driver upgrades (even through Windows Update) were often met with breakage of some sort. Autodesk maintains a list of recommended driver versions for each perversion of their products and some of them are surprisingly old.

The "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach has almost always served me well when it comes to drivers. I do make it a point to read what issues the updates are supposed to address and wouldn't give up that responsibility to a third-party utility that doesn't contemplate these readmes.

Well, I may have been scammed on that $36 Photoshop. :(

I went to use it today to retouch a photo and it said my free trial period is over and I need to subscribe to continue to use it. I sent the proprietor a note about it on his website to see what he has to say. Depending on how he responds, I will post a proper review on Etsy as he has quite a few similar offerings. Strange that there are mostly positive reviews. So hopefully, I did something wrong on the install. Stay tuned!

So, I went back to GIMP and began to learn the work flow. It's not too different than Photoshop. Thanks again for the tutorial. I also watched a few others on youtube and finished up my simple project with it. If I can't get resolution with the scammer, I'll just continue to work with GIMP.
I know this is 6 months old, but of course you got scammed. Adobe stopped selling perpetual licenses for the vast majority of their software in 2012, Adobe Create Suite 6 was the last.

Starting in 2013, they went near 100% SaaS with Creative Cloud. There is no way to pay a one time free for Photoshop, or just about any other Adobe software because that doesn't exist and hasn't for a decade. Acrobat (Standard & Pro), Photoshop Elements and Premier Elements are the only applications from Adobe that they offer perpetual licenses for. Do you really think you could get a software title that was hundreds and hundreds of dollars when you could buy it, for $35?

I'm a CC subscriber for tooling around with Photoshop, Premier and Audition. The rest of the applications I don't care about, although having the full version of Acrobat is nice.