webroot, windows 10, drivers & conflicts. (1 Viewer)

HipKat

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 25, 2017
Pekin, IL
Running three dual-boot computers here - Ubuntu 20.04 and Windows 10. We use Linux 99.9% of the time but 'the other one' is there just in case a game won't run in compatibility mode with Proton. Otherwise Steam works great under Linux for gaming.
I had to give up Ubuntu a long time ago. It was getting too bloated and too obviously trying to compete with Windows. I have an old Mini-laptop that nothing would run on smoothly or without lag - until I found Manjaro.

I'm thinking about formatting that Linux drive and trying to build Archlinux from source.

Reactions: FTA4PA

HipKat

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 25, 2017
Pekin, IL
I probably should have mentioned, in keeping with the OP's concerns, I run a VPN, Avast A/V and Comodo firewall. Sorry guys, I just don't trust MS to keep me safe, especially since they got into the data harvesting business themselves.
I should add, also, I run SurfShark on all my and my kids' devices

FTA4PA

Satellite Guys Family
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 13, 2013
Central Pennsylvania
I had to give up Ubuntu a long time ago. It was getting too bloated and too obviously trying to compete with Windows. I have an old Mini-laptop that nothing would run on smoothly or without lag - until I found Manjaro.

I'm thinking about formatting that Linux drive and trying to build Archlinux from source.
Yes, I have noticed that tendency as well but have hung in so far because it's what I'm used to.

Reactions: HipKat

jct21

SatelliteGuys Family
May 26, 2018
kentucky
I probably should have mentioned, in keeping with the OP's concerns, I run a VPN, Avast A/V and Comodo firewall. Sorry guys, I just don't trust MS to keep me safe, especially since they got into the data harvesting business themselves.

for as long as ive been into computing i have never trusted microsoft to keep me safe online. ive always used other programs to handle that task. back in the win98 days i relied on zonealarm firewall until i came across kerio firewall which was superior in every way. blackice was a nice piece of software as well. i have read several reviews here and there that claim the windows 10 defender is pretty good. i have it enabled right now after i just did a clean install of windows pro just to make sure i get rid of all the BS webroot left. besides, i rather enjoy a good ol' reinstallation :) .... i will see how defender handles different scenarios as i test this out for a few days.

yeah microsoft, like many others are knee deep in data harvesting. turning off telemetry now just breaks windows. stopping the cortana process & renaming the folder breaks windows now. they sure go out of there way to track us. luckily there are ways to disable a lot of it using the registry or gpedit.

nvidia with their massive 600mb drivers are in the harvesting game too.

Users who are viewing this thread