Windows 10 sharing Desktops through OneDrive

dweber

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 29, 2005
Plain City, OH
I have several computers running Windows 10 - Dell Media server, Lenova Laptop, older Laptop, and an old Desktop.
Depending on the use each computer has different programs and different documents since their uses are different.
With the latest Windows 10 update the Desktops on each computer got uploaded to Microsoft One Drive and the Desktops on each computer have all of the shortcuts from each of the computers. The advantage would be if all of the computers are on you can access the shortcuts from any computer.
In my case I don’t keep all of my computers powered on 24x7 so the shortcuts for the other computers are not usable. But they clutter the desktop. Plus the shortcut to my password file is now on OneDrive where it could be hacked.
How do you go about unsharing your computer desktops? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I don't use OneDrive and in fact kill all instances of it. Some stuff I keep on Google drive. But only things that ultimate security doesn't matter.
It's pretty easy if you have the right router firmware to setup a VPN server. Any PC's here that I may need, I'll let sleep and use Wake on LAN. The only stick in the spokes is if my ISP rolls my public IP. But a call to them will reveal it. As far as a PWL goes. Zip and encrypt it and stuff it away.

In my case I don’t keep all of my computers powered on 24x7 so the shortcuts for the other computers are not usable.
Consider a modest NAS or a USB drive connected to your router if you need central always-on storage. Neither of these platforms, typically Linux based, have nearly the risks that a Windows machine may have.

You certainly don't need to have links to all of your shares on your desktops. Windows Explorer will provide links without cluttering your desktop and they can be arranged as you choose.

If you're tracking your passwords in a text file or, heaven forbid, an Office document, stop that immediately. There are a couple of freeware password managers (KeePass and Bitwarden) as well as commercial offerings that will secure your passwords yet allow them to be used across machines and devices at varying levels.

Consider a modest NAS or a USB drive connected to your router if you need central always-on storage. Neither of these platforms, typically Linux based, have nearly the risks that a Windows machine may have.

You certainly don't need to have links to all of your shares on your desktops. Windows Explorer will provide links without cluttering your desktop and they can be arranged as you choose.

If you're tracking your passwords in a text file or, heaven forbid, an Office document, stop that immediately. There are a couple of freeware password managers (KeePass and Bitwarden) as well as commercial offerings that will secure your passwords yet allow them to be used across machines and devices at varying levels.
I store my passwords (and other things, notes, etc) in Onenote, but all my devices run a VPN

I store my passwords (and other things, notes, etc) in Onenote, but all my devices run a VPN
This is only moderately safe if you password protect the section where your passwords are kept. I say "moderately safe" because Onenote uses Onedrive and it is up to the user to insure that the sections involved have passwords. Onenote uses AES128 encryption for security. Of course it doesn't have any utility on devices and computers that don't have Onenote software installed.

VPNs are great for hiding your location but they don't do much to slow down the kinds of malware that come via e-mail or browser activity and that represents most of today's most virulent baddies. VPNs have no value on the LAN which is where Windows ransomware does its greatest damage.

This is only moderately safe if you password protect the section where your passwords are kept. I say "moderately safe" because Onenote uses Onedrive and it is up to the user to insure that the sections involved have passwords. Onenote uses AES128 encryption for security. Of course it doesn't have any utility on devices and computers that don't have Onenote software installed.

VPNs are great for hiding your location but they don't do much to slow down the kinds of malware that come via e-mail or browser activity and that represents most of today's most virulent baddies. VPNs have no value on the LAN which is where Windows ransomware does its greatest damage.
All true. I'm pretty diligent about attachments (Never open them) and run various plugins, et al to keep web browsing as safe as possible

Like many people I'm not too keen on having anything I want to keep being stored on anything but my own system!! As a Windowz Insider Beta tester I learned early on that you can "UNINSTALL" One Drive in the Programs and Features section so every one of my 6 Windowz 10 computers have that feature REMOVED.

Just saying...................

Reactions: HipKat and TheKrell
Like many people I'm not too keen on having anything I want to keep being stored on anything but my own system!! As a Windowz Insider Beta tester I learned early on that you can "UNINSTALL" One Drive in the Programs and Features section so every one of my 6 Windowz 10 computers have that feature REMOVED.
Along the same lines, is there a way to get rid of Cortana and does removing Cortana leave speech recognition unscathed?

Harshness, I don't use either of those and neither does anyone else here at home.

What I basically did as a tester was to see if I could make Windowz 10 act and look somewhat like Windowz 7. In fact, I've run the "Classic Shell/Open Shell" desktop on EVERY version of 10 I've ever loaded (even Beta) and also installed it for a bunch of "old people" in my area to shorten their learning curve with 10 upgrades from 7 and that software is still available today and can be found on Major Geeks website.

FYI, the Windowz Insider deal only benefited Microshaft in that while I was doing that they had unlimited access to their software on my 2009 system hardware for checking hardware/software compatibility on all those upgrades I did. That and if I saw a problem with something I would login and notify them what had happened.

After 10 went RTM I cut ties with the Insider program and got my free copies/upgrades from Windowz 7 like everyone else who wanted it.

And now I use primarily use Linux Mint Mate on every system here except for the Wife's Dell Laptop, which only has 10 on it that I just upgraded from 7 on last summer after they stopped security updates on it. FYI all my desktops are multi-boot systems that also run XP, Vista, 7 along with 10 and Linux.

Oh, and my apology to the original poster for hijacking his thread....................:(

Harshness, I don't use either of those and neither does anyone else here at home.

What I basically did as a tester was to see if I could make Windowz 10 act and look somewhat like Windowz 7. In fact, I've run the "Classic Shell/Open Shell" desktop on EVERY version of 10 I've ever loaded (even Beta) and also installed it for a bunch of "old people" in my area to shorten their learning curve with 10 upgrades from 7 and that software is still available today and can be found on Major Geeks website.

FYI, the Windowz Insider deal only benefited Microshaft in that while I was doing that they had unlimited access to their software on my 2009 system hardware for checking hardware/software compatibility on all those upgrades I did. That and if I saw a problem with something I would login and notify them what had happened.

After 10 went RTM I cut ties with the Insider program and got my free copies/upgrades from Windowz 7 like everyone else who wanted it.

And now I use primarily use Linux Mint Mate on every system here except for the Wife's Dell Laptop, which only has 10 on it that I just upgraded from 7 on last summer after they stopped security updates on it. FYI all my desktops are multi-boot systems that also run XP, Vista, 7 along with 10 and Linux.

Oh, and my apology to the original poster for hijacking his thread....................:(
Have you ever tried Linux Manjaro?? It's been my goto Distro for over a year now

Have you ever tried Linux Manjaro?? It's been my goto Distro for over a year now
Yeah, I tried that one last summer for a short time but I'm 75 years old and getting a little short on patience. Linux Mint Mate does pretty much anything I need it to do so it's hard for me to justify having to learn another distro when I'm happy with what I have.

I had a Windowz XP box get hacked way back in 2009 and then downloaded Ubuntu v9 and installed that. Stayed with Ubuntu until v12 was released with their funky Metro desktop then I switched over to Linux Mint and I've pretty much been on that one since. I have experimented with a few other distros but I've always come back to Mint in the end.

Reactions: HipKat
I replaced my Windows XP Folder with Ubuntu 14 when XP stopped getting updates and the Registry Hack to turn it into XP Point of Sale so it could continue getting updates. It didn’t work.

After installing Ubuntu, my Folding took off faster than XP and I kicked myself for not doing it sooner.

Reactions: TheKrell and HipKat
Yeah, I tried that one last summer for a short time but I'm 75 years old and getting a little short on patience. Linux Mint Mate does pretty much anything I need it to do so it's hard for me to justify having to learn another distro when I'm happy with what I have.

I had a Windowz XP box get hacked way back in 2009 and then downloaded Ubuntu v9 and installed that. Stayed with Ubuntu until v12 was released with their funky Metro desktop then I switched over to Linux Mint and I've pretty much been on that one since. I have experimented with a few other distros but I've always come back to Mint in the end.
Ahhhh, I also did the Ubuntu thing until v12, I t tried Mint but it seemed too much like an Ubuntu Clone to me and dropped Linux until last year when I started researching the Archlinux Distros. It's definitely different and Manjaro, for anyone interested, is the most user friendly version and the faster OS I've ever used. But the commands are definitely different that Ubuntu based distros

Speaking of Windows 10 and OneDrive (I know, I'm derailing this Linux Distro thread ;)) I tried an experiment at work, and it failed terribly. I wanted to see how easily I could grab a file that I forgot to move to a thumb drive before I left work could be accessed Working from Home. Answer: not at all well. It was over 10 GB of compressed data, and maybe there was some issue given the size and re-compression being attempted, but it said it would take 13 hours to download!

Solution? Work on it at Work tomorrow. Sorry, Boss…

• Haha
Speaking of Windows 10 and OneDrive (I know, I'm derailing this Linux Distro thread ;)) I tried an experiment at work, and it failed terribly. I wanted to see how easily I could grab a file that I forgot to move to a thumb drive before I left work could be accessed Working from Home. Answer: not at all well. It was over 10 GB of compressed data, and maybe there was some issue given the size and re-compression being attempted, but it said it would take 13 hours to download!

Solution? Work on it at Work tomorrow. Sorry, Boss…
If I had to transfer files that size, I'd think more about setting up an FTP site

With my crappy ISP, the download was around 12 hours (closer to 35 GB for the less-compressed version) so I just sneaker-netted the file on Friday.

I'd drive to work because I can't tie up the upstream Internet connection with a transfer like that. Load balancing indeed!

I remember having to return the miserable Cisco router (one of those cloud-based models) after the pandemic was finally recognized and the vendor chose a sacrificial low man on the totem pole to come and pick it up.

That anyone is having to deal with 10GB files that aren't high resolution videos or similar I blame on modern standards (XML, two-byte characters and other wastes of space). It is a bit like the idea forwarded on Silicon Valley where 90% of the World's data has been "created" in the last few years.

Reactions: Foxbat and HipKat