FIRST LOOK: Dish 500+ Dish 1000+ and the Dish 1000.2!

keenan said:
A single dish is nicer looking for sure, and I hope it works, me, I don't care how many I have, nobody sees them anyways, and the fact is I have to pick my "windows" through the redwoods. :D

That's a heck of an expensive dish though, is it free with your signup for service?
My main reason for being picky on the mounting area is because I just had the roof redone and I don't want it screwed up and they're bocking at doing the chimney mount with the 2 dish set up but if this new dish 1000 plus will help with the signal problem from 129 then they shouldn't have any problems with a single dish mounted to the chimney. As far as the cost, he doesn't have any info right now so I'll just have to wait and see what the procedure is for new installs with the new dishes and how much it's going to hurt my wallet :p.

Laters,
Mikef5

Last edited:
The price listed for the 1000+ ($339) with a DPP44 ($199) would be expensive ($538). That is the first advertisement I seen for the new items, but when I had called them late Friday, they had still not known what the prices would be and when they would have any items available -- things change alot over-night.

The 1000+ is slightly smaller than the SuperDish 121, but the SD-121 which comes with a DP34 is only $199.

Without reading back, I was thinking that the 1000.2 was no different than the current 1000 ($99), with the exception of the longer/larger mast (?).

Guess the bottom line is, what do you need and/or what will you need, 121 or 118.7?

I sent an email to D* last week asking for info on Korean programming on 121/118.7, and a kit for the SD-121; D*(Tech) responded back about 5:30 this morning that:
(1) They currently don't know what programming will be on 118.7; and
(2) I will need a new dish for 118.7 because it is smaller and uses a different LNBF.

Hummmmm.

cebbigh -- If you only need 110/119/129, then the current "Dish 1000" for $99 should do it, and depending on how many receivers you have, you may not need any switches.

The only concern would be if the 129 would have a strong enough signal where you are at. But I wonder if it's the signal strength or the satellite that is the problem.

I personally have not had any problems in Denver with 129 using a SuperDish 121 with a DP Dual LNBF duct taped to the side of it.

I wonder what the sense of the 4th satellite input on the new 1000.2 is. What satellite do you wanna add to that setup? 148? Or maybe 61.5 since E5 is dead soon, and when it's gone, they make you buy an additional dish to see 61.5, to continue watching HD programming. This will connect to the existing 1000.2. Or is it for 61.5 to add right away, so you get the HD channels from both sides at a time, so you finally quit complaining to Tech Support about LOS!:devil:

I think the Dish1000 Plus for $339 would be with the DPP-44 (or DPP-33) switch included. Otherwise it would not be worth it. It would make no sense to have the dish priced this high without the switch included. It may even be built in like the DPP twin is although I thought I read that it would require an external switch but cannot remember. Never did see an external switch with any of these dishes.

I havent been keeping up much on all the 500+ and 1000+ talk, but have a question. I am going to need a 500+ because I dont think I can currently get 129 from my dish location (couldnt with original 1000 dish). Since the 2 dishes are identical sheet metal, and assuming that some of the pricing mentioned isnt really true (i.e. the two actually come in closer in price) wouldnt it make more sense for me to get a 1000+ even if I cant currently get 129? Or will there be an addon bracket for the 129 LNB readily available and cheap, to make a 500+ into a 1000+?

Again MOST people will not need a new Dish "Plus" Dish. The only ones who will need them are those who need the internationals they offer or those 5 cities which will be broadcast from 118.7 in HD (HD locals) no one else will need one.

For all core HD programming you will find it on 129 or 61.5.

Also really there is no Dish 1000+ its a Dish 500+ with an add on LNB kit which turns the Dish 500+ into a Dish 1000+. Its the same Dish on difference again is you add a bracket and a LNB.

Also remember that you can turn the SuperDish (if you have one) into a Dish Plus Dish by swapping out the LNB and arm for a Plus upgrade kit for the SuperDish.

So are you inferring that I would be able to get the 500+ and add the 129 bracket if/when I want? I just dont want to buy a 500+ and then find a way to get 129, and be stuck and not able to do an addon 129 lnb/bracket arm.

Looking at the advertisements, the specs for the the SuperDish 121 has the DP34 switch listed as included, but the Dish500+ and Dish 1000+ does not list a switch.

Dish 500+ == $199.00
Dish 1000+ = $339.00

That's $140 extra for the extra "DP Dual LNBF" and the bracket to attach it to the Dish 500+. Although the 500+ doesn't, but the 1000+ would require a 4 orbital location switch which runs about $199, I would say the switch is not included.

Maybe they're just getting a feel for the market right now!

When you click on the items for additional info, it brings you to another page which appears to just copy the info directly from D*, but without the copywrite warning. This page also lists what is included, which does not list a switch.

I guess in time, more info will be available on:
(a) Upgrade kits for current (legacy) Dish 500 & Dish 1000, if at all;
(b) Upgrade kit for Dish 500+ to a Dish 1000+ (hell, I could make a bracket);
(c) Upgrade kits for SuperDish 121 to either a Dish 500+ or Dish 1000+.
(Such kit should also work on converting a SuperDish 105, for those that no longer need 105.)

SAME DAY EDIT: During the day, this info became obsolete, the prices remain the same, but switches are now included, see later post for more info.

Last edited:
So has Dish stated if they are going to provide free upgrades for those customers that are in the 5 LIL areas that require the new dish in order to get thier locals in HD? I just upgraded my receivers and dish to a 1000 a couple of months ago and I sure don't want to pay because they didn't think ahead and put in the wrong dish for me to get all the channels I signed up for.

Again MOST people will not need a new Dish "Plus" Dish. The only ones who will need them are those who need the internationals they offer or those 5 cities which will be broadcast from 118.7 in HD (HD locals) no one else will need one.
Scott,
Maybe I'm confused. I thought the plus dishes were suppose to be an upgraded 1000 and 500 to help with the low signal problem with sat 129 and that the 1000.2 was for the new sat at 118.7 and the international channels. Is this wrong ??? Isn't there a 1000 plus and a 1000.2 and what is the purpose of the two ??

Laters,
Mikef5

Kirby Baker said:
1000.2 is for better 129 reception. The plus dishes are for 118.75 reception.
Ok, then there's no maybe about it.... I was confused, thanks Kirby for setting me straight :p
Now, I've got to call my installer and ask about the 1000.2 and when he will be getting them and not the plus dish.

Laters,
Mikef5

Kirby Baker said:
1000.2 is for better 129 reception. The plus dishes are for 118.75 reception.
How much better is yet to be seen. The 1000.2 is not that much larger but has an intergrated LNBF. The only big improvement I've seen reported was using a 36" dish dedicated to the 129.

Mikef5-
I'm in Novato and just had a 1000 and 622 installed. The best signal strength that the installer could do on the 129 was 60 and some TPs are less. No problems so far but since our weather has been clear I don't expect any problems until Fall.

Oh I dont dispute that at all, I was just clearing up the purpose of the 1000.2! :) Personally, I think they would have been better off using a unified dish (the same one as the 500+/1000+) across the board. Making the 1000.2 just seems silly to me, yes its bigger than the current 1000, but still smaller then the Plus dish.

hiker said:
How much better is yet to be seen. The 1000.2 is not that much larger but has an intergrated LNBF. The only big improvement I've seen reported was using a 36" dish dedicated to the 129.

Mikef5-
I'm in Novato and just had a 1000 and 622 installed. The best signal strength that the installer could do on the 129 was 60 and some TPs are less. No problems so far but since our weather has been clear I don't expect any problems until Fall.
As another data point, I'm in Santa Rosa and the lowest I've seen using a single dish for 129 is the high 60's on about 3-4 TPs, most being in the 70's and even some 80's.

Here the NW, it's a very different story. Highest TPs (10-12) hover in the upper 60s and low 70s in the 20-minute cycle. On the bottom of that 20-minute cycle, those 3 TPs are upper 40s to low 50s.

The majority of the remainder 27 TPs are mostly in the low-mid 60s on the top of the 20-minute cycle and in the upper 30s to low 40s on the bottom end of that cycle.

That sat is a piece of junk and they need to replace it ASAP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)