Dish Home

The same goes for the same type of Channels DirecTV offers.

While you are seeing 6 channels you are acutally only watching one channel which is diplaying the 6 channels in a mosaic.

It would be neat if you could make your own mosaic channels but I dont think that we will see that happen in the next few years as you would need 6 tuners to tune in all 6 channels at the same time. :)

if they can make a moasic without 6 tuners so could we

its just if they will ever give us any choice of mosaic channels
Their mosaic is using 6 tuners. The difference though is that the six tuners are in use at their end (at uplink or before), producing a combined image with 6 "windows". At our end (downlink = our homes) we just need 1 tuner to pull in the resultant image. The highlighter box that you can move around is just drawn over top of the video by your receiver's software. The switching of audio when you move is also performed by the receiver's software. All 6 audio streams are sent alongside the one video stream (this is a normal feature of DVB).

Now, if we want to get a little more technical (and thus more confusing), we can point out that the number of tuners required could theoretically be decreased if some or all of the selected channels share transponders. That would likely require more powerful receiver hardware (and nontrivial software changes) though.

I knew I could find the answer here. Thanks for the explanations. Sorry, if this has been previously brought up but as always you are very patient with a request.
Again, thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts